The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Secret Santa for rescues when there is no cash.

I get all excited about SS each year although I no longer participate in the people one. The doggies of Sunkissed always pick another rescue to help which is such a good feeling. Paris would like to share her adequan shots and joint meds this year hahahaha. Oh and her chikens.

But......................here is my point. This year is going to be a hard year and I cant help but notice how many fewer people have signed up this year than previous years. I understand entirely when so many of us are facing huge financial issues of our own.

So please, let me share with you just how valuable you are with no cash whatsoever. Write a creative little certificate to your favorite rescue or an email with a committment.

Got a day or two a year you can donate, you are then extremely valuable.

Wanted, someone who will take a day to email a few of the hundreds of equine suppliers to send outdated items, returns, promo's, gift packs etc. to the rescues of your choice. You cant imagine how much a rescue can recieve this way as well as get there names out there. It takes a day, once or twice a year.

The donation of a day or two a year in which to sit down and write thankyou letters and print them off. Hours and hours of my time are saved by the PDF that DG designed and printed off. Now all I have to do is put in a little blurb with a thankyou and saves me my fingers and the hours of work.

A day or two a year that you can give to go and organize or clean a feed room. Oh ya, that is a job and generally way to daunting for me to do alone or too heavy. What a blessing to have a group of Cothers come and do that for me this fall. If you think that is not a gift worthy of giving, come and check out our feed or tack rooms.

A person who will check out the internet and find the various groups and foundations who do donate to animal organizations. I myself dont have that many hours to spend on a pc so someone who does saves me hundreds of dollars. Take a rainy day to do this and then forward your information.

Hold a yard sale with proceeds to go to your favorite rescue. It need not be at xmas. These horses eat year round so..................send a promisary note for one to be held next year and then announce it. The cothers will send you there stuff, fear not. Xmas in July is equally as good.

Hold a concession at a show you know you can work. Put out a donation can somewhere or a collection at work, any time of the year is good. Just make a committment.

You are all worth a lot more than you realize. You have more power than you can ever dream.

One of the cothers has a candy dish at work. People donate there change in exchange for the goodies and then every few months she sends a rescue the funds collected. Nothing like an extra $150. dollars to help with the vet bills.
    Ask your local vet if you can put a donation can at there clinic for x amount of months and then print a flyer with it. What you cant give, someone else might be able to.

You see, most of what you can do involves only time and a bit of creativity. A little card to tell your rescue what you will do is cash in hand. Making people aware of who and what we are is our greatest assett. And you guys, you are a wealth of information as you know us best.

So, short of cash, no problem. Giving of yourself is our greatest gift and seeing the returns from what some of these very simple ideas can bring, will amaze you.

I have many many more ideas if anyone cares to know of them. Knowledge is wealth.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Wow ... thanks for the great post, snkst! Your ideas also offer a way to get introduced to a new community! (I'm moving across the country next week.)
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

And for those who feed any feed manufacturered by Triple Crown or Southern States, ask your feed store, vet clinic and/or boarding barn(s) if you can put up a POPS FOR PONIES box!

I used a sturdy cardboard boot box and put a blurb about SKA on the cover, along with pictures of Heart the Hinny and other horses Lori has helped. It simply says "SAVE THOSE POPS AND POP 'EM IN HERE" - because each proof of purchase from a bag of feed, means 25 cents off a bag of TC/Legends/SStates feed.
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Is there some big-a$$ wish list-type website I can visit in order to see what various rescues need?

I have more useful horse equipment than I need. I'd like to make a care package out of it for some place or another. My paralyzing block-- the undererlying theme of your post-- is just that I don't know what to send where.

A lame excuse, I know. But if you have an easy solution like the Mother Wish List, I'll get on it.

TIA!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

MVP, if you go to http://specialhorses.org we have the wish lists for Sunkissed and other COTH member rescues posted. You are welcome to join in the fun and be assigned a group (or two...four..all ) or to just help personally by getting in touch with a group...all the contact info is there.

Lori, thank you for sharing this. Things have been extremely rough for you lately, and I know it has been for the other groups as well.

I don't have cash to donate right now, so I do virtual odds and ends for many of the groups in addition to the Special Horses, Inc. fundraisers. It takes maybe an three - six hours of my time each month but I know it saves them many more hours than that if they were to do it themselves.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    MVP, if you go to http://specialhorses.org we have the wish lists for Sunkissed and other COTH member rescues posted. You are welcome to join in the fun and be assigned a group (or two...four..all ) or to just help personally by getting in touch with a group...all the contact info is there.

Lori, thank you for sharing this. Things have been extremely rough for you lately, and I know it has been for the other groups as well.

I don't have cash to donate right now, so I do virtual odds and ends for many of the groups in addition to the Special Horses, Inc. fundraisers. It takes maybe an three - six hours of my time each month but I know it saves them many more hours than that if they were to do it themselves.
    Pretty cool idea, do you have to sign up/log in to access the lists?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Pretty cool idea, do you have to sign up/log in to access the lists?
    There is a form on the front page Alagirl, that's all there is to it THANK YOU!

ETA: I forgot to mention that you don't have to sign up to be a Secret Santa to help...The links to each groups wish list are right there on the front page too. Any help...as a Santa or otherwise is so much appreciated!

I now feel HORRIBLE. I've been feeding the boys TC products for like 6 months! And haven't saved a single POP. Uggh. Well, I'll start doing that now. You still take the POPs, don't you snkst?
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I have some UPC's to send too.

Honestly? I'm one of those that didn't sign up for the SS stuff this year. I just can't afford it. After Stitch was hospitalized and had colic surgery, I just don't have the extra cash. Though he's insured, I had to pay the deductible and then I chose to send him to a rehab place instead of back to the barn when he was released so that was double board for almost 2 months. And shortly after he was release, one of my dogs was admitted to the emergency clinic. 3 days and $2500 later... she was home. But that was straight out of my pocket. Dog isn't insured.

So I've been going through alot of my old stuff and selling a bit on e-bay, etc. to "catch up". But I have a few items that I don't think are e-bay worthy. Plus with the cost of listing and shipping them... I would probably lose money.

Lori: These items weren't listed on your "needs" section of your link, but wanted to know if you'd like them anyways? I have some brushes, an old halter and lead rope, etc. Just let me know.

Wanted, someone who will take a day to email a few of the hundreds of equine suppliers to send outdated items, returns, promo's, gift packs etc. to the rescues of your choice. You cant imagine how much a rescue can recieve this way as well as get there names out there. It takes a day, once or twice a year.
    Seriously, people just send a note to equine supply folks saying "send stuff to x rescue, plz" and they do it?

It never would have occurred to me that that was something that could be done...or would work.

Lori's post is fabulous. We mean it when we say it is not about the money!!!

And Linda - we know, and we truly appreciate, that times are tough. And sometimes all you can offer up are good wishes. And that is okay too. But what you suggested - the lead rope and halter, for example - those are items that can be used directly, or sold at a tack sale. Even if the lead rope were to be sold, for example, and make $3 - that's vet wrap. That's a tube of ivermectin. And if 50 people had something similar, Lori's whole herd (or another group's!) could be dewormed.

One of Lori's strongest supporters is a veteran in a facility. As you can imagine, he has no income. When he can, he sends her a three dollar money order. THREE DOLLARS. And you know - that gift is just as precious to Lori as every other. Because it means you support what she does, what all these groups do.

Linda, Lori could sell your items at Hoof and Woof. Your shipping costs are tax deductible, as are the worth of the items (Lori could give you a receipt for those).

See? You can be a Secret Santa...well, maybe not so Secret!!

And for those who are also struggling financially - last year, for Bluebonnet, I e mailed/wrote various companies, and just sent the letter Jennifer had made, requesting an item for their Open House that they could sell or have as a raffle item. All it takes are a few positive responses, which Jenn received. And this way, she could directly help the horses in the trenches, where I would just pop off an e mail or two during a 10 minute break...over the week, it added up (I forget how many I sent out!).

I hope this helps. When times are tough, we just have to think outside the box!

And I have to tell you - the strongest supporters here - HorseLoverZ has NEVER said no to us. Dover and SmartPak have also been generous. Plus the countless number of gifted COTH artists and craftspeople...
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I also think that a postcard with an 'Adda Boy/Girl' is also a very good contribution to the cause.

For those who do the thankless jobs a little recognition goes a long way. (of course, my bathroom cleaning cannot compare to Rescue efforts, but you get my drift)

Re: lead ropes and brushes.

While I found brushes in my sister's tack box that dated back to her first ever horse over 25 years ago, those are items that you can never have enough in a barn of considerable size. Especially when you have a greater turnover rate. So you can clean brushes and have some to use while the others dry and bake in the sun.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    There is a form on the front page Alagirl, that's all there is to it THANK YOU!

ETA: I forgot to mention that you don't have to sign up to be a Secret Santa to help...The links to each groups wish list are right there on the front page too. Any help...as a Santa or otherwise is so much appreciated!

Ahhhh, didn't see the list was links.

BTW, a button banner to put into signatures for other BBs could help your exposure.

Alagirl - could you please explain? equineartworks is our Web Goddess, I merely worship at the alter and I need these things explained to me in words of one syllable!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    Lori's post is fabulous. We mean it when we say it is not about the money!!!

And Linda - we know, and we truly appreciate, that times are tough. And sometimes all you can offer up are good wishes. And that is okay too. But what you suggested - the lead rope and halter, for example - those are items that can be used directly, or sold at a tack sale. Even if the lead rope were to be sold, for example, and make $3 - that's vet wrap. That's a tube of ivermectin. And if 50 people had something similar, Lori's whole herd (or another group's!) could be dewormed.

** SNIP **

Linda, Lori could sell your items at Hoof and Woof. Your shipping costs are tax deductible, as are the worth of the items (Lori could give you a receipt for those).

See? You can be a Secret Santa...well, maybe not so Secret!!
    Thanks for the info DG. I just didn't want to send more "stuff" that Lori would have to deal with if she really didn't need it. I'll pull her info off the site and send those items in. Since I can't participate in the other things... at least I'm doing something. I don't need anything in return... I'm just SOOOOOO thankful that Stitch and my precious dog ("Brynne") are okay.

lol!

What she means is a little button with code attached that our COTH members can "travel with" to other sites and bulletin boards.

I have held off doing that for the time being because so many of our COTH members already do a smashing job of flaunting our groups for us, and also because COTH is our "home" of sorts.

I am going to be updating the site this week and facebook and twitter buttons will be added as we will be bugging everyone to join our facebook fan pages real soon. In the meantime, if anyone would like a small banner for their site just shoot me a pm or email and I will get you one that fits your site.

Thanks!

Alagirl - could you please explain? equineartworks is our Web Goddess, I merely worship at the alter and I need these things explained to me in words of one syllable!

Default Finding a rescue in your area...

Ok so how do I find a reputable rescue in my area? There is one about an hour away, but it's super sketchy and horrible. Most of the animals there look like they need to be rescued from the rescue!

Is there a site listing legitimate rescues? I'm in the PNW, so I feel like I'm too far away from the ones that I've heard about.

I also donate my time to a Therapeutic riding center... and after we move here in a few months I can't wait to find another one to help at.

Linda...thank you

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212 View Post
    Thanks for the info DG. I just didn't want to send more "stuff" that Lori would have to deal with if she really didn't need it. I'll pull her info off the site and send those items in. Since I can't participate in the other things... at least I'm doing something. I don't need anything in return... I'm just SOOOOOO thankful that Stitch and my precious dog ("Brynne") are okay.

Like she said, a small item, pretty picture you can click on (with the link imbetted) to put in the signature.

Which, btw does not work on COTH, or at least has not in the past.

I have managed to make such a button, but I forgot how....damn you old age!