The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A promise to myself

I have been riding and showing hunters all my life but I have always wanted to try hunting. I have a friend at my barn the hunts and I've promised myself that I'm going hilltopping with him this winter b/c I have access to a great little horse there (don't worry-she knows how to hunt even if I don't).

What should I expect? What should I do (etiquette-wise) to ask to hunt?
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Hi JBCool,

Welcome. I'm a fox hunting newbie and like you have ridden/showing hunter for years. However, fox hunting has been my dream for years. I will say that fox hunting is completely different experience from the show ring. It is wild, thrilling, and god forbidden horrifying at times (old timers probably feel completely different). But then I can't wait to get to the next meet

As to what I did to ask to hunt? Well I found out the name of hunt mater and her email, send her an email, and basically introduced myself (my name, my experience, etc), told her I was interested in fox hunting, and asked whether it was OK for me to join her. Oh and told her my concerns (you know, never hunted, no idea what to expect, pony had no experience in hunting etc). And that is it. She sent me back the most welcoming email, told me where/when the next meet was, and welcomed me to cap with them. Oh she even found a baby sitter for me (you know, someone who stay with me if I got too chicken to continue)...

I don't know whether hunting is for everyone, but I do think that every horse person at least need to hunt once before they, you know, kick the bucket .. But that is just me.

Fox hunting was on my bucket list and I finally gave it a go a couple of weeks ago. I was really nervous as it had rained for several days prior and rained the day of. My horse also had never hunted and our main background is show hunting although we do lots of trail riding these days. It turned out fine. Check with your friend at the barn, he can give you the info needed as to what is expected of you to attend. Have fun! Here is a picture of my mare and I at our first hunt. (I am the fat old lady on the chestnut)
    http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery...age_id=1&pos=2
    We don't look too bad for our first time hunting.
    Last edited by Simbalism; Nov. 19, 2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: add picture link

Expect to have a great time!!! Your friend should be able to take you as a guest--and give you all the pointers on dos and don'ts. Enjoy!!

Expect to have a BLAST !!!!! ENJOY !!!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Default Warning!!!!!

It can be addicting....

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyclubrocks View Post
    It can be addicting....
    That's what my friend has already warned me!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"