The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Switching to Dressage-blog

So I'm currently switching to Dressage from Hunters I've decided that jumping is too scary and we prefer to keep all four feet on the ground My horse was bred for dressage (his sire was short listed for the Olympics!) I'm very excited so I decided to start a blog in case anyone is interested in following our learning experience
    I called it Rode to Freestyle as kind of a play on words because I love freestyles and would love to do one someday. So rode/road to freestyle What can I say I'm an English (education) major

Anyways here's the link: http://rodetofreestyle.livejournal.com/

I'm going to try and get some video at some point so I'll be sure to post that when I get it
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Very cool. Will try to remember to follow it. One suggestion i have is to have a little bio type thing about Kore or something like that.

P.

Its fun to open up your ideas to such new concepts - you will love it, and the day your horse responds to you with engatement and moves out as you asked him to, and moves laterally according to the pressure you give him subtly from the leg and rein, you will be hooked and in heaven.

It happened for me on a spiral - I was tired and found the leg and rein just asking him to spiral in without dropping his shoulder, and all of a sudden I was practially turning around my core, his head down, his back up and he just spiraled around me, its seemed, at a posting trot, it was such a moment two years ago but I can still feel it today. Something I look for every time we are out together. That synchronicity.

You're gonna be a happy gal.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    Very cool. Will try to remember to follow it. One suggestion i have is to have a little bio type thing about Kore or something like that.

P.
    hahaha good point. I'm in the process of digging up his papers so when I locate them in abyss that is my Mom's office I will post his bloodlines as well

I forgot to mention this in my post but it's amazing how your problems are the same in every discipline

I just made this same switch.. I plan to continue to do hunters too but am taking the winter off to solely focus on dressage... Part of the reason was the best barn in my area happens to be a dressage barn, so I have come down to my horse's care is more important than a discipline but I do hope I can find a jump trainer come spring to come in and work with her... Anyways... the hardest thing for me has been trotting in my dressage saddle with a dressage stirrup length it kills me... I am getting there... my jump saddle is on lock down until I get over it.... Good luck I have been learning so much... I think my dressage trainer sees big things for my mare... I will check your blog as it is good to know other people are going thru the same things!!

Quote Originally Posted by bhebert19 View Post
    I just made this same switch.. I plan to continue to do hunters too but am taking the winter off to solely focus on dressage... Part of the reason was the best barn in my area happens to be a dressage barn, so I have come down to my horse's care is more important than a discipline but I do hope I can find a jump trainer come spring to come in and work with her... Anyways... the hardest thing for me has been trotting in my dressage saddle with a dressage stirrup length it kills me... I am getting there... my jump saddle is on lock down until I get over it.... Good luck I have been learning so much... I think my dressage trainer sees big things for my mare... I will check your blog as it is good to know other people are going thru the same things!!
    It's good to see people going through the same switch! Gives me some hope I'm finally pretty used to the dressage saddle but still want to get in a half seat at the canter! I need to master the sitting trot though

Quote Originally Posted by dghunter View Post
    I need to master the sitting trot though
    That is a life-long endeavor!!!!

And I'm a DG, too!!!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    That is a life-long endeavor!!!!

And I'm a DG, too!!!
    Well, hello! Where were/are you active at?

And yes the sitting trot is... *shudders* It actually is better in the dressage saddle than it was in my close contact saddle. We'll see. Right now I think it just makes people laugh