The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default similar bit to kk conrad?

HS does not make the KK conrad snaffle in the size i need.

are there any other bits similar to this that come in large sizes?

thanks

What size are you looking for?
    There are bits that are similar to the KK, but I don't think they're made of the the same type of metal.

6.125" - 6.5"

and yeah, i know it wont be the same metal. fit and mouthpiece config is more important than metal for this horse.

check out the neue schule demi-anky bit. the picture in their "enlightened bitting" download shows the shape better than the catalog pic.

www.neueschulebits.com the bit has a similar shape and they have a salox metal which is even warmer than the aurigan

edited to say i looked and that particular bit seems to only come in a 5 1/2" in a loose ring....

After I posted all this stuff I was window shopping at http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,44.html and found you the bit you've asked for or I think it's the bit you're asking for in the right size. Sure hope so. If it is ignore the rest of the post.

As you already suspect you are going to have a very hard time finding much in that size range. Here are a few websites that offer that size range but bit styles are limited. If you are able to afford import prices you will have more options in the UK, but still it's very limited.

drafttack.com
    shipshewanaharness.com (Mylers through a 6")
    http://www.drivingessentials.com/sprenger_bits.htm (has a conrad 3 slot liverpool -- not dressage legal, but for all purpose riding simply put the reins on the bottom hole. Wow that baby is expensive.)

Curiosity. What type of horse? What's your reasoning for wanting this particular style of bit?

I'm not familiar with the KK bits but this store has at least one Conrad in a 6.5" http://www.theenglishrider.net/istar...4-165-88!Spren

NCSue - thanks for the info and the links! horse is my tb/wb mare who is not large (16h) but has wide muzzle and fat lips and measures between 6.125 and 6.5...

the link you posted is great expect it is for the 18mm and that it too fat. i need 14 or maybe 16mm.

coymackerel: that is a kk ultra. which is probably what i will end up getting but it isnt a kk conrad - thanks for the link