The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation PRP - Success Stories?

Hey Guys,

So here’s the story, my mare tore her SDF 60% very high, just under her knee in August 08. She was put on stall rest for like 10 months. The first few weeks she wasn’t allowed to do anything (i let her graze but that was it) then after I don’t remember how long, she was allowed to walk. We walked for about 40 weeks increasing by 1 minute each week, and then we introduced the trot as I believe the 40 minute mark. Well long story short, August 09, the tendon was looked at again, and we looked good! There was an area of concern but for the most part she was allowed to increase her trot and in a few months time she was going to be allowed to canter!! I was so excited!

October 31st 09, the stupid mare RAN around like a LOOOOON! And came up lame, I knew at the moment, she had re bowed that tendon.

I called the vet that had been dealing with this tendon for the past year, and she told me to bring her in at the end of the week. End of the week came, I took my mare, and we found a new lesion (no BIG surprise, but let me tell you how bloody heart breaking it was, I think I cried the rest of the day/night) This lesion was about 10% and the vet suggested PRP, as she is 17 y/o but she is just a LOVE! Best horse I have ever owned, so I opted to try this treatment.

The treatment was done this past Monday (Nov 16th) and I just changed her bandage for the first time today and there was no swelling like the vet said there would be, and everything looked good!

She is on total stall rest for 14 days (I am hand grazing her) then after that she is allowed to walk for 5 minutes and then increasing a minute a week until 10 weeks, at 10 weeks she will have an ultrasound done.

So, Success stories for me? Any suggestions of other things that I can do with her? Back on track Bandages? Shockwave?

Thanks!

What is PRP? Perhaps I know it under a different name or I am just brain dead this rainy afternoon.

ETA: Platelete Rich Plasma. I have no experience, but good luck, my heart goes out. I have had many other tendon/ligaments with successful recoveries, just have not done PRP.

Howd you work with your injuries? I'm looking for anything at this point! I'd Love to try and help her get through this as quick and heal best a possible!

Well, you are already doing what I did. Controlled exercise for LONG periods of time. I have lived through hind leg suspensory, front leg check ligament, front suspensory. Shockwaved all of them. Used Ace when necessary. Check ligament was pretty straight forward, healed, went back to eventing at Prelim/Intermediate level. Suspensory took 9 months before I jumped again. No issue with reoccurrence, it has been two years, but horse is 17 and I did not attempt to return him to the same level of work (from Intermediate Eventer to Novice/Training). Front suspensory is on a different horse, waiting to see, just diagnosed. I will say that I am a pretty aggressive hand walker with vets permission. 4x/day for 20 minutes. Once under saddle I am a stickler. Straight lines are straight lines, there shall be NO trotting thru the corners, etc.

Thanks for that!

I hand walk EVERY day, my vet said it was ok.

I just want her to come back to being a hunter again, but only MAX 2'9

My hunter had PRP in August of this year for a low bow of his SDFT. The leg healed really beautifully afterwards - no swelling, very tight, very minimal scar tissue on ultrasound - and we are up to trotting now, but still no turn out.

The vet has said that he will be okay to jump at some point down the road, but I really don't know if I will ever jump him again.

I think whether or not to jump or ask for a high level of work is a really personal decision that depends a lot on the risk to benefit ratio for you and your horse.

My guy is older, and he's already done so much for me. I don't think I could stomach putting him through another 6 months of stall rest if he were to be re-injured.

Having said that, I have another horse who came off the track with a high bow, and he went on to be an awesome A/O hunter, so recovery and competition at a high level is certainly possible. Trust your heart and your instincts, it sounds like you have you horse's best interests at heart.

I actually had prp done on my feet. As explained by the ortho doc it causes a inflammation repsonse calling all the blood products to go to the area to heal it. It works "so far" on me. Also seen a horse that had a suspensory issue - horse is now sound. It took a while.

I would LOVE her to come back and jump again, but if She doesn't that's fine! if she can play and do some dressage stuff, do some trail ride, but honestly, if it really comes down to it, I just want her sound enough to be able to go out in the paddock and be able to play. I have had her 10 years and she has done so much for me!

What it boils down to is that I owe it to her to get her better so she can lead a normal horsey life in a paddock

I just want to try everything I can get get her back to "normal"

My horse had a PRP injection June 21st, and shock wave yesterday. During the three weeks between theses treatments we progressed from hand walking (which had been going on for weeks and weeks prior to the PRP) to ride walking. Vet said to continue ride walking today through the end of the week, then add in a little trot (five minutes).

For those who have been through this, I'm curious to know two things:
    1. how long did it take to progress through the increase in the trot work to the point where canter was added, and
    2. when were you able to begin turnout?

TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I have same questions as Silly Horse - my horse has hind suspensory strain (no tear) in April, PRP shortly thereafter. We're up to about 5-7 minutes of trotting, and lots of ride walking, but no turnout. Horse comes out a little stiff and works out of it quickly, but not totally sound on affected leg when turning a certain way. Horse had been in first year of showing at 3' last year.

1. Based on your experience, how long will rehab likely take until horse is sound and back in usual routine?

2. We may start turnout in a month (small roundpen) - will this help horse be less stiff? I'm hoping that just moving around will help. Your thoughts?

3. How much tranquilizer did you use when riding? I bought a new box of syringes, etc. for this project . . . .

Thanks for your comments.

My horse is a very cheap date, plus normally lazy, so I dose him orally with .75cc of ace, and he needs it only for trot work. Most horses require more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Month of walk u/s. Month of trot (in theory, b/c it lasted three months for various reasons) starting with 5 minutes and progressing to 20 minutes. Month of canter, same drill as trot. Month of normal flat work. Start jumping. This was for a horse that had alternating shock wave and IRAP for six weeks, then two weeks more hand walking, and then a check at which he was sound.

Good luck to all!
    The Evil Chem Prof

I had a horse in my care who tore his suspensory (I forget the % but I remember the vet being quite surprised how bad the u/s was) and had PRP. He was stall rested (hand grazed) for two weeks, then because he was SUPER quiet, I was allowed to put him out in a medical paddock-12X15 shed with a 12X12 turnout attached. I didn't have a treadmill, so I ponied him. We started with 10 minutes walking (for the 1st few days, I did give him some ace, just in case, started with 1cc, then lessened by 1/4 cc per day until 0 and did not give any more), added 10 minutes a week until we did 40 minutes walk for a week, then we did 40 min walk and 10 minutes trotting. At his 8 week ultrasound check up the vet said he was 80% healed. He was looking pretty good. We got up to 40 min walk, 20 min trotting and then he went to another farm because I had to move. No idea how he is doing now, but last I heard, he was under saddle. He was a young horse with very little mileage, so I presume that helped a lot with his healing rate.