The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default high-end saddle websites?

ok so I don't want to get this post removed, so I know I can't advertise here...but what are the best places to post an ad for my saddle other than ebay and craigslist?
    I would prefer to avoid the people who think they can get a $4000 saddle for $400

or...does anyone know if Amerigo does upgrades/trades for their own product?
    If you think I am high maintenance, you should meet my horse!

www.fineusedsaddles.com

Only consigns high end saddles

Bits and Barter board has about 2000 members, also The Outside Course
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I am also curious of websites that sell high end saddles and high end tack in general...

I like the look of the fineusedsaddles.com website but am a little nervous about sending it....anyone have any comments about them? How long do they keep the saddles for? ie average selling time? I know that's a pretty big question to ask

any other suggestions?

I haven't heard back from Amerigo yet, so still wondering if they have an exchange program and would love to know if someone has a quick answer to that....

Cori McGraw (www.highendusedsaddles.com) buys saddles outright and then resells them. It's nice b/c you don't have to go through the hassle of consignment and you'll probably get more then you would if you had to pay a 25% consignment fee.
    She bought my used Butet for $2100K and resold it herself for $2.5K. I would have been lucky to get $1K for it on ebay with the way saddles are selling now. I also bought another saddle through her and it was easy and painless. She's very honest and the saddle was exactly as described.

No hassles involved other than the intial shipping seems too easy, but I'm curious.
    WorthTheWait95 how does it work? You send the saddle for appraisal and she sends you a cheque? Would love to know more.
    What is the difference between fineusedsaddle.com and highendusedsaddles.com if anyone has used both/either I would love some feed back.

She asks for pictures of the saddle and appraises them that way. You agree on the price and she sends you the money via paypal. You send the saddle (insured and with a tracking number) and she cleans it up/posts pics/etc. I can't remember what the agreement was as far as a buyer misrepresenting a saddle since we didn't have to cross that bridge (its been a year or two since I sold/bought my saddles through her). It was really easy and she's super nice. You can just send her an email with your saddle specs and she'll get back to you with details on how to go about it if you're interested. Good luck.

I'm pretty sure Cori McGraw only does the French and English brands. I've never seen her sell an Amerigo. She has a list of brands that she works with on her web site, and Amerigo is not on there.

I don't think Amerigo does trade-ins at the company level does trade-ins, but some reps/dealers will do trade-ins, especially if you've got a saddle that they think they can easily pawn off on another customer (and/or use as a demo).

Prices on high-end saddles are terribly depressed right now. Unless you've got a 17.5" seat, be prepared for an uphill battle to sell at a decent price.

she does have some Prestiges listed which are not on the list of brands, so maybe Amerigos would be accepted?

Quote Originally Posted by pacificprima View Post
    she does have some Prestiges listed which are not on the list of brands, so maybe Amerigos would be accepted?
    When I talked to her a while ago she said she was considering branching out into other brands (I had a non-french saddle but decided not to sell it sice it's a decent fit on one of my horses). Can't hurt to ask anyway.

I don't know about selling a saddle but I had a great experience buying one from Patricia at fineusedsaddles.

Default Great consignment saddle sites

If you're willing to give up 20% or so, consignment sites are great. I've worked with Trumbell Mtn and Allthebestusedsaddles.com (This is a consignment site/sister company of Beval.High- endusedsaddles,LLC and the Farm House in Landrum,SC are great companies to work with as well.Oh,a good friend has a lot of good things to say about Rick's Heritage Saddlery.Personally, I've had saddles that I thought would sell quickly take forever and visa versa. I've got a saddle to sell now- low end "extra saddle" that I never use. I think with Christmas coming up, all sorts of saddles may sell.

I had a friend that used fine-used-saddles and her saddle is still for sale and it was sent in April.....
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    I don't know about selling a saddle but I had a great experience buying one from Patricia at fineusedsaddles.
    I haven't found the right one yet, but I've also had a great experience working with Particia. She really listens to what you want and knows what saddle sizes and models might work for you and your horse. She found the saddle that my horse wants on the first try, now we're just keeping an eye out for one that fits me too!