The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone every built a liverpool?

I would love to build a liverpool to start getting our mare used to before one shows up when we are at a horse show. I don't really want to spend $350 on a 4x10 liverpool so if anyone has built one, please clue me in!

Or have any ideas for some more interesting/'scary' jumps? We already have ridiculously crazy colored jumps (hopefully we can paint them in the spring so they match! ) so we are searching for more ideas to help bombproof our jumper and get her ready for the show ring. We've started adding coolers to verticals and have started her on small fan jumps and swedish oxers. I would love to hear your ideas on interesting ways to make jumps more interesting using fillers, etc.

You could make a liverpool by laying out a tarp, getting some big pieces of wood (not 2x4s, but larger, just don't know the dimensions), and staple it all together, I guess. It would be terrible to move around though. I'm sure someone has a better idea!

As for scary jump ideas, my old dependable school master had a heart attack when we set up a course of jumps with old bedsheets draped over the rails. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but it was really easy to do and sure gave us something to work on.

After Christmas anyone who used a natural tree usually donates it to the barn and we use it as fill.

Some everyday items like pylons always work. Plastic beach balls or balloons would work too- just don't put anything under there you wouldn't feel comfortable landing on!

Also, at the end of every 'season' (eg. fall, christmas, easter etc.) all the craft stores usually have their fake flowers on sale. I'd never buy them new because they're horrendously expensive, but on sale they're a great thing to pick up.

Have fun!

ETA If you don't actually feel like you need water in the liverpool, I'd just spread out a tarp underneath the jump.

I usually go to the dollar store to pick up scary things for my mare. They sell plastic table cloths that are great to go under the jump. The blue one is liverpool like, but I also like pink, and yellow ones too. I sometimes tape it between two poles in an oxer or vertical and let it flap in the wind . Those were the days my mare hated me. They also have tinsel and other crazy stuff to wrap around standards and poles. Here are some of my dollar store creations:

$3 - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1341420243

$9 - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...=1119814519176

$1 - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1341420243

$1 - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...=1122001213842

I'd recommend a tarp covering a pool noodle frame, that way if the horse does land on it they won't hurt themselves.

You can buy actual liverpools that are made out of plastic. They are made so you can put water in them. Also come in blue, yellow, grey. Can't recal where we got them from though.

I have made an actual pernament liverpool and the full water jump. Well the construction guys made it and then i had the wonderful task of painting it :S . It was concrete with rubber stall mats linning its with the round tread things facing up. Then we painted it with blueish rubber paint. Not fun but horse wasn't going to slip on it! lol

Crazy fences... sounds like you have some good ideas for some. We had the lovely task of painting a couple hundered poles for jumps so we got pretty creative complete with poke a dots! lol We also had an exact replicate of the dreaded bicycle jump from Spruce Meadows.

P.

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
    I'd recommend a tarp covering a pool noodle frame, that way if the horse does land on it they won't hurt themselves.
    This is the way to go -- Also try looking for a small inflatable wading pool ... maybe you'll get lucky and find one that would work --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Thankyou for all the ideas! A tarp will probably do for now until I figure out how to build my liverpool...Water would probably freeze in a liverpool anyways this winter.

I never thought of using bedsheets, I'm sure my mare would take a look at those! I'll bring some sheets of blankets and give that a try. Maybe tomorrow is the day to put some haybales under a jump too. Hmmm.

We put tarps under the jumps, over the jumps etc (my horse actually walked up to smell a tarp draped over a jump and then picked up with his teeth! I had visions of him then freaking out trying to get a way from the stupid thing and forgetting to drop it....He eventually let go, left a nice "peak" and then went and jumped it!)

When I had a group of kids going to a winter show a few years back we put hay bales under jumps, put flowers on top of those, barrels work under jumps really well ( we even have half barrels) cones, coolers work well draped over the jumps as well!

Good luck!

I built one for our barn. I used two garden timbers, and stapled a tarp between them, so it can be rolled up and moved pretty easily. Cost about $15, and the tarp was the most expensive part. It was incredibly easy to make, and if you use the garden/landscape timbers, they're already pressure treated to be out in the weather.