The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Craigslist ad-HORSE NEEDS HELP HBG, PA

horse needs help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2009-11-17, 10:10AM EST
    Reply to: sale-medff-1469824156@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some time between last night and this morning my tb got his back legs caught in the lead of my other horse and i can see that there is some thing wrong but he wont let me get close enough to it to see how bad it is either way i wont have the money to call a vet out until saturday if there is any one out there that is kind enought to help we would greatly appreciate it i can pay some or all depending on how much on saturday or if you want the horse we might can arrange something thanks and please dont flag he needs help
    thanks all
    Last edited by Mali; Nov. 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: title change
    Cindy

There are no words.
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

Edited to add, I am glad I kept reading, and now that more is known, it seems the horse owner just needs a helping hand. In this economy, many who previously had the means to support their animals in a better way have lost that ability, so compassion is needed for any in that situation.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Nov. 18, 2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: add something, delete something
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

In absolutely all seriousness, perhaps you should email them and point out that most vets take credit cards and/or can arrange a CareCredit loan account. Or that they could borrow the money from someone.

Or for that matter, tell her that it would be kind to euthanize the horse, which she could have done for FREE or very little money by a compassionate gunman. And that perhaps she could put up an Items Wanted ad along those lines to see if she can find such a person to assist her.

Ugh, I hate ads like this. But short of getting the horse yourself, it's the next nicest thing you can do. Yelling at the idiotic owner isn't going to help the horse.

The ad didn't open for me. Can anybody near where ever this is go help with the horse or at least call AC?

No one knows her story... Cant be too mad. Maybe the horses are up for sale, but none is buying them. THe horse market is dead and everyone is broke. But you may want to reply and tell her that the vet will let her make payments.. All the vets i know will work with people who dont have the money ATM...
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Yelling at the idiotic owner isn't going to help the horse.
    I agree 100%. Poor horse.

Where is the horse located? I hope that some compassionate COTHer could go take a look at the horse and offer some advice, if we could figure out where the horse is located. It's so much more effective than yelling at and berating the horse owner who swallowed their pride, admitted they are broke and posted asking for help. Nothing like kicking someone when they have asked for help.

If she is within 45 minutes of me I will go look at the horse for her myself. Now how do we figure out where it's located? I emailed her asking her location but she will probably be inundated with hate mail and hesitate to answer ANY mail, even an offer of help.
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    "There are so many things I would like to say to you, but the best advice I can give is GET RID OF YOUR HORSES IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD THEM! They would be better off euthanized than to have to suffer at the hands of incompetant, ignorant owners. If you can't even get close to your horse than I'm guessing that it probably has not been vaccinated, dewormed, had it's teeth floated, or regular farrier visits. Call your vet NOW - not on Saturday! You obviously don't deserve the right to own an animal if you're so willing to just give it to the first person that comes to help you. How do you plan to get it on the trailer if you can't get near it? Your lack of logic disgusts me".
    OMG!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessi P View Post
    I agree 100%. Poor horse.

Where is the horse located? I hope that some compassionate COTHer could go take a look at the horse and offer some advice, if we could figure out where the horse is located. It's so much more effective than yelling at and berating the horse owner who swallowed their pride, admitted they are broke and posted asking for help. Nothing like kicking someone when they have asked for help.

If she is within 45 minutes of me I will go look at the horse for her myself. Now how do we figure out where it's located? I emailed her asking her location but she will probably be inundated with hate mail and hesitate to answer ANY mail, even an offer of help.
    Behold the power of Google. It's on Harrisburg's Craigslist so I assume somewhere within an hour of Harrisburg.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/1469824156.html

Alright, come on PA COTHers!

Is there anyone who can go take a look at this horse?

What we think and what we say and do are two different things. No harm in being outraged. I am constantly amazed by the number of people who think owning a horse is like owning a dog. We are more educated. We get to roll our eyes, stomp our feet, wonder how the hell the human race survived this long and then we go out and help the poor horses/dogs/cats/birds out of the situation the best we can.

For me, helping is easier once I have had the WTF moment.

When I first read the ad,I too thought OMG what a nerve,then I read again a couple of times and realized she really is asking for help,and not money as it first appears.
    She is offering to pay back anyone who will help her on Saturday,or even give them her horse,but the important thing is she wants to get help for her horse,and obviously does not realise she can most likely make payments to the vet.
    I wish we could find out where she is located.

Mali, instead of venting, which I don't blame you, why not go and help the horse?

According to cother's, the horse is near harrisburg, pa...anyone willing to contact her and go help or see how the horse is doing.

sounds like a young person with no support, but a heart.

Just saw where she is located after I posted.
    Let hope she gets some help.

I got a return email from her that I won't post in it's entirety, but here is her address.

[edit]

So she is between Carlisle and Gettysburg Pa, putting her in south central PA.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 18, 2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: removed street address

Apparently she has to tie the younger horse to keep her from getting loose - well the older horse got his back legs tangled in whatever she was using to tie the younger one and got his back legs scraped up. She can't tie the older one due to past issues and he wont let her do anything more than put some warm water and iodine on the wound without someone else to help her hold him. No one at her house does anything with the horses - in other words they wont help her.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    Mali, instead of venting, which I don't blame you, why not go and help the horse?

According to cother's, the horse is near harrisburg, pa...anyone willing to contact her and go help or see how the horse is doing.

sounds like a young person with no support, but a heart.
    Because I am not putting MYSELF in harms way by dealing with a strange, unruly horse and subjecting my own horses to any possible diseases that her horses may be carrying. I've been in a barn dealing with highly contagious airborne (deadly) disease and I prefer to stay removed from such situations when possible. I don't go to auctions, I very rarely pet strange horses, etc. It may make me selfish, but I protect my own first and foremost.
    Cindy

Well, if I was close enough, I would happily help her but Lexington is a bit of a drive to the Harrisburg area. I hope that the owner finds the help that she needs.

Mmm I guess I have to come around to the thoughts people have after thinking about it, although my first thought was what a freak. She sounds like she's alone and not wise enough to do the right thing, but trying. Sometimes when you are alone, and no friends or support group, AND NO COTH you can't figure out how to ask for help - craigslist is sort of the silent cry for help, in this case, don't ya think? I am in CT and can't help. I hope someone near her can go see what they can do. She might be rehab-able, and grateful for support. As someone said, she said she was willing to pay for the help on Saturday. ]

Sounds like she doesn't reallhy know how to train the horses, or set them up correctly. Suspect they will be tied to posts or a tree or in a flimsy enclosure. She might not realize how easy it is to make a decent place for them. Outght to have the horses placed elsewhere, but sounds like she needs help.

That's my take. Maybe I'm a sucker, but that's what I think, tonight anyway.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    Because I am not putting MYSELF in harms way by dealing with a strange, unruly horse and subjecting my own horses to any possible diseases that her horses may be carrying. I've been in a barn dealing with highly contagious airborne (deadly) disease and I prefer to stay removed from such situations when possible. I don't go to auctions, I very rarely pet strange horses, etc. It may make me selfish, but I protect my own first and foremost.
    There are alternatives that might NOT put you, or anyone else you know, in danger.

Like making a simple change to your thread title to reflect "near Harrisburg, PA" which might attract someone who is able and willing to help.

Like emailing the girl and suggesting that she at least CALL her vet for advice--some new/idiot horsepeople don't even realize that vets give phone consults. If she doesn't have a vet, then suggest a nearby office.

Like directing the girl to the nearest tack store that sells the Blocker Tie Ring/The Clip and some kind of wound protective spray (Alu-Spray or similar) which would keep her from having to tend the wound every single day.

And no, I'm not being a hypocrite here. If I read an infuriating Craigslist ad and the answer is fairly straightforward and won't require me to make a trip out to the farm or talk to anyone on the phone, I DO email with a one-liner email of advice. Most of the time they are grateful and say thanks.