The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hunter stallions that can produce jumpers?

Interested in hearing about hunter stallions, here in N. America, that you think could produce an upper level jumper (knowing that the dam is critical, as well). I have a young jumper mare that I'm thinking about breeding, but am interested in finding a stallion who is quiet and stylish, w/out sacrificing jumping ability. I know that to get a specific match you would want to look at her confo. and pedigree, but right now I'm trying to come up with as big a list as I can get, so leaving out specifics for now. I'm kind of leaning towards Cunningham, as certainly he can jump, and his pedigree is very, very nice for producing jumpers. Who else?
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Cunningham, for sure, and Willemoes.
    We have one of each coming in 2010 and, while the Willemoes was bred to be a jumper, I expect that it will be talented either way. Depends on the mare, as you say.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Romantic Star
    Pablo
    Federalist
    Rio Grande (frozen only)

If your goal is to get jump with the hunter temperament, I think that you might want to take a look at Valentino Z. He's a Darco son and has fantastic jumping ability, but he also has a terrific temperament and is easy enough for an amateur to ride. He has a lovely, rhythmic canter and just lopes around courses.

The Darco bloodline has produced nice hunters - Valentino's full brother is a hunter and Magic Darco went from the jumper ring to the hunter ring quite successfully. In fact, Magic Darco might be another good choice if the mare is a good candidate for frozen.

You can see pictures and videos here: http://www.risingstarfarm.net/Valentino%20Z.htm

Landwerder Landwerder Landwerder
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

I beg to differ wasn't Rio Grande a jumper stallion who produced hunters ( he competed for our Canadian Showjumping team) ?
    Having Raffaello, who is also by Raphael , same Hanoverian R and D line nick that produced Radiator who won the million dollar CN class with Rene Tebel here at Spruce Meadows . Our stallion had the opportunity to show in the hunters and yet was approved as a jumping stallion selected for the Hanoverian Jumper Breeding Program

In 2000 Henk Bouwman commented on his personal picks for jumper talent for all of the Hanoverian, Holsteiner, Trakehner, Oldenberg and Westfalian keurings for 1999 in Zangersheides Z Magazine , Raffaello is among those listed as one of his personal favourites.

"And just the odd jumping star was fit for the show of champions. To mention a few (my personal) favourites...No.69 (Raffaello) by Raphael, dams sire Foxhunter- Don Juan...”

Lisa , Synergy Sporthorses
    http://www.synergysporthorses.com

Hillside, I know you said NA...but since I've seen one of his offspring do it with my own eyes and I think he fits your bill, and is available frozen:
    Lordanos
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Richard, a KWPN stallion newly approved with the BWP.

He was shown successfully in both the hunter ring and in Grand Prix jumpers. He is producing both hunter and jumper type foals.

He stands 17 hh and is flashy -- black, 3 white socks and blaze.

He is standing in Florida. www.theequineathlete.net
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

I'd actually look more towards a jumper stallion that can produce hunters, rather than the opposite. IMO, finding a GOOD jumper is harder than finding a good hunter. Look for stylish jumping stallion..

Pablo comes to mind, he can jump, his offspring can typically jump, and many are very stylish over fences.

Landfriese II is another one...

What about Sir Caletto? Wasn't he a fairly successful jumper before becoming a hunter? I could be wrong about that...
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

I would second Sir Caletto - here is one of his "jumper" breds at Spruce Meadows:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Coffspring.jpg
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

I beg to differ wasn't Rio Grande a jumper stallion who produced hunters ( he competed for our Canadian Showjumping team) ?
    While he's produced quite a few top hunters, it also appears he's produced some higher level jumpers as well.

http://www.charlotfarm.com/rio%20grande%20pics.htm

Actually Rio showed in the dressage ring before moving to the jumpers ... I dont believe he ever competed in the hunters at all but yes - his offspring have done quite well in that discipline

Wasnt Cabardino a hunter stallion before making the move to the jumper ring?

Rio did show very briefly in the hunter ring as a youngster.
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Visit our website: Gift Hill Farm and on Facebook

First one that came to mind was Cunningham. Great jumping pedigree there. I would also agree that Sir Caletto and Rio Grande would fit the bill.

I would be very careful if you breed a jumper type mare to a jumper type stallion and expect to get something that would suit the hunter ring as some have suggested.

I have used a few more jumper type stallions in our program to produce hunters, but that is always with a very good moving and good minded mare that jumps with a classic hunter style.

Maybe one of The Oaks' stallions? Challenger has had a few nice hunters who have gone on to upper levels in jumpers. A gelding by Challenger out of my mare's TB dam did amazingly well as a hunter as a young horse before moving to the jumpers, where he was successful at Level 8 before he was sold to a 16 year old who's doing 1.35m with him. There's also a full brother who took the same path and is doing mid-level jumpers now with an ammy.

I think Rabino would be an awesome choice for a dual-purpose foal, too. He's my current "crush." He's sired some super hunters as well as an Olympic show jumper. Of course he's not in the US though.

I think I wasn't as clear as I could have been in my initial post. I AM looking to produce a jumper, but I'm investigating hunter stallions b/c I think it is a good place to look for improvement in the temperament area. I am very familiar with jumper stallions, and do have some in mind, but I wanted to think "outside the box" a bit, and hunter stallions are not my area of expertise. This particular filly is extremely athletic, superb free-jumping form (not jumping under saddle yet), and has a good work ethic. However, she is sensitive, a bit hot and has a big spook. I thought investigating some hunter stallions, in addition to jumper stallions, may help me find a bit quieter stallion that will not sacrifice the jump. Her temperament and personality are fine for me, but the foal will be for sale and I don't want anything hotter/more reactive than the mare. It will be her only foal for a long time (more than likely)as she is being focused on a sport career.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Default It is so going to depend on the mare...

Sir Calleto is supposed to have an outrageous jump and produce hunters (particularly on a dam with the movement). I like him. I think there are whole threads devoted to him and his offspring...

I'm breeding to Landfriese II for mind first and then hunter prospect that should be able to do dressage for me too, but he has GP jumper offspring. You should get his video--I wish it was on the website.

I think Apiro (Argentinius) should be able to do this and he hasn't been mentioned. It will be interesting to see when his offspring get older. I've been told he's a 2 in temperment. Love Landwerder from Silver Creek too. He and Landfriese have the same sire, Landadel, and the L line is supposed to be good minded generally, but obviously jump well. And the fact that they often excel in dressage is nice too.

I think the other suggestions are good too. Lordanos also goes back to Ladykiller/L line (although not a Landadel).

Lots of good stallions mentioned above by others. Some of these stallions are very different in type, so again it will depend on the mare.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

How about Federalist? He is by For Pleasure, a 2 time Olympic Gold Medalist. Federalist (I believe he was shown as Faberge) was extremely competitve in the jumper ring.
    He has had some very successful hunter and jumper offspring.

http://www.grayfoxfarms.com/federalist.htm

You should take a look at our stallion Cabalito. He has done the hunters as well as the jumpers and was doing the jumpers most recently with a very young junior. He has an outstanding temperment and beautiful flowing gaits.
    Lisa Coletto
    Standing Elite Hanoverian stallion, Cabalito
    www.pecannuts@aol.com

A Fine Romance - he has a number of hunters and several jumpers as well.