The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Suggestions for Warmblood Hunter Stallion?

My friend has a beautiful Trakehner/TB mare by Storyteller and is looking to breed her next year. The mare is 16.1, has excellent confirmation, no soundness issues, plenty of chrome, the hack winner, and has a nice jump. My friend is looking for a warmblood hunter stallion with a great brain, temperament and rideability (i.e., amateur-friendly). Since the mare can sometimes be a bit of a wench, and is already somewhat on the hot side, she would like something on the other end of the spectrum. She is thinking about Alla’ Czar or possibly a Rio Grande line stallion . Any opinions on those two possible matches? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

You might find my thread very useful
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215030&

Default A few ideas

I know the mare in question, and JB's thread confirmed some of the stallions I thought might work.

Cunningham apparently produces unflappable babies that aren't dead quiet, but are smart, brave and talented.

Shine is known for producing very quiet babies, and he's been shown successfully by amateurs in the AO and adult hunters.

Oxford, a stallion that's I've seen in the working hunters in Vermont in years past is quite nice. Ridden by Angela ??? from Canada. Can't remember her last name.

Palladio is another one. Scott Hofstetter showed him in Ocala a couple of years ago before he went to Louise Serio (think that's the right horse). His jump is breathtaking, though I'm not sure his get are competing yet.

People say good things about Don Alfredo as well in terms of quiet, amateur-proof offspring.

Default Gatsby

Gatsby is very prepotent in passing on his superb temperament and trainability, frequently IN SPITE of the mare! It's a bit uncanny, to be honest. And he is making some super cute hunters!

www.foxdalefarm.us

Ironman would be one to consider, he has been highly successful in passing on his wonderful, ami- friendly temperament when bred to hotter mares. He is also very successful on passing on his easy trainability and rideability He is very good with both TB and Trakehner mares.

Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Silvio in Middleburg. Can't say enough about the mare we have by him. She is going to be one fancy hunter and her mother was 16.2 and great conformation as well.

http://www.horse-repro.com/Silvio.htm

AHC- Is there another Palladio stallion out showing? Ours has been on the west coast. Just curious if there is another one what the breeding is....Ours is a successful hunter (winner of Int Hunter Derby in WA) with a great jump and fantastic temperament on both him and his foals...

TB lover-I think you'll find if you search old threads that the same names will come up over and over again... There is some heat in the Zeus line so keep that in mind if looking for super quiet on the stallion side.
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com
    Home of Pinto Dutch Warmblood Palladio

Thanks everybody for the suggestions so far! I've looked at some of the old threads also, and agree, there are some names that keep getting mentioned time after time. Am making up a list of names for consideration, and will also be looking forward to getting the Chronicle Stallion issue!

The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

Oxford his ridden by Angela Covert Lawrence.

i would second palladio (the pinto dutch in CA)... just incase there is another one of those (palladios) as well... I REALLY like him.

and add Redwine, or probably any of the stallions at Grey Fox Farms, whichever suits your mare!
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

I REALLY liked our Apiro colt this year. Super type, tall and elegant with great head and a long curvy neck, very fancy mover, Gold Premium award foal with a great temperament as well. He was second at Warrenton in the Other Than TB Colts. We were highly encouraged to repeat the cross by the inspectors and we'd like to next year if possible (mare was already booked to someone else for 2010).

Romantic Star also is interesting as well as several other of Gray Fox's stallions. He and Federalist have offspring showing well in the hunters.

People seem to love Don Alfredos as well.

There are many out-of-the-box options that you could go with both fresh and frozen as well. A stallion doesn't have to show in the hunters or even be ridden as one to have the attributes to be a good producer of them.

Also the up and coming stallion Amazing is interesting. He certainly has the jump and moves well, plus has a wonderful temperament.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I find the Popeye babies to be consistently quiet and easy to work with. There are quite a few showing up on the Ontario A circuit now.

My Rio mares have great ammy friendly personalities. I noticed you said a Rio line stallion - what ones were you considering?

I have seen a couple of Viva Voltaire offsprings on the show ground and they all looked super easy to ride and were always in the ribbons.

I bred one of my mares to Escapade I. He is doing the stallion test at Silver Creek farm and the final test will be broadcasted live on the internet. It's a great thing to see the stallion live before making a choice.

Redwine is a great choice, but you have to go through the vaccination protocole.

Cabardino seems to produce great minded horses.

I bought a Beaulieu's Conquest 2007 filly that shows great dispositions for the big hunter ring. She has the movement, the jump and the easiest temperament I have ever seen in a horse.

Good luck on your research.

Check out the young stallion Figaro B (Pavarotti vd Helle x Wellington). He has the attributes that your friend is looking for.

Here's some video from his first time in the show ring - ever!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vthDG2WJQN0
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net
    Standing Abrikos, Cartier R, Cielo B, Ciroc, Deja Blue, Diabolo d'Esquelmes, Esteban, Figaro B, Jus d'O, Kinnaras, Valentino Z

Become a fan on FB - Rising Star Farm

BALTA C'ZAR!!! I cannot say enough good things about this stallion! His offspring are so consistant in type, have lovely temperaments, and he adds bling on a consistant basis too. I can vouch for the improvement in type to the Trak/TB mare that I bred him to. My colt, Barbadocz, is elegant, and TALL (ALL LEGS!!!). Take a look at the website to see many of his offspring...my foal looks quite a bit like Gic'zelle. www.jumpstartfarm.com
    Saret is wonderful to work with. Balta C'zar has a wonderful temperament, himself, and is so incredibly versatile...I live very close by so actually get to see him and his offspring on a regular basis...really, he is a gem of a stallion and he produces it. You cannot go wrong with him (not to mention, he has EXCELLENT semen quality). Do you have any pics of your mare??

Also, what about Raffaello? www.synergysporthorses.com He is by Raphael, the same sire as Rio Grande, and his babies are stunning. They are finer in type than Rio Grande...no offense meant, just the Rio Grande's can be quite heavy in type. I have never met Raffaello in person, but from all I have heard he is engaging and has great presence.
    Last edited by CrossWinds81; Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Second the vote for Balta'Czar. His prepotency is astounding. It's one thing for him to produce Hunters out of TBs and WBs, but I bred him to my Saddlebred mare (who definitely ain't no Hunter.. ) and the resulting colt is all Hunter. Quiet/sweet, gentle, long/low sweeping strides (his walk and canter are incredible) and a very cute jump!

Only drawback? He likely won't improve the trot (although he certainly did with mine - but the mare's trot was caca, so..).
    But you say your mare is a hack winner, so.... wow, that would be phenomenal cross.

I vote for Raffaello as well! My student just bought one, her first young horse and her first warmblood. This mare has a wonderful temperament, sensible, forgiving and kind. She is also a lovely, elastic mover and jumps like crazy!

CABARDINO!!!!!

Popeye K, Redwine, Romantic Star or Cunningham. I love all of them.