The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Having a little buyer's remorse, and the saddest story ever! Hand holding please!

Well, another year of shopping frenzy at the Royal is over, and another year of coming home with a massive guilt trip is just beginning. I had a very specific list this year (as I do almost every other year) and managed to keep relatively close to my budget...as opposed to last year where I came home with a new pair of Der's

This year's big splurge was a new pair of D'yon half chaps, and at almost $400 CDN, I am still in a bit of sticker shock. I DID need new half chaps, and after many years of disappointment from Ariat, I decided to level up, if you will, to the next price range, hoping these will be the be all and end all of half chaps.

Well....I have to admit, I'm not crazy about them yet. I haven't ridden in them, and I'm toying with taking them back and saving myself a couple hundred buckaroos. But on the other hand, these are the only half chaps that I've found that are tall enough and they fit me perfectly...but the COST!!!!

I guess I just need some justification from the CoTH crew that I will be ok Now for the unforgiveable part...The saddest thing that has ever happened to me...

Took my man to the Royal for his FIRST time! He was is heaven! Fudge, food, cheese, beer, tools, tractors and Clydesdales....he LOOOOVES Clydesdales, and often asks me to sell my horse and get a Clyde that way HE can ride it! (He's a keeper!!)

So in an unexpected show of generosity, he tells me to find something I like, and he will buy it for me. What do I find? Nothing. That's right, n.o.t.h.i.n.g. I found a beautiful Beval bridle for $200, but I don't really need a new bridle, I can't afford to show this summer, so I really won't have a use for it. Breeches, got tons. Helmet, nah, love my old smelly IRH, and don't want to ask him to shell out the big bucks for a GPA...that seems like I'm taking advantage. He goes from booth to booth with me, trying to buy me something, and at the end of the day I gave in and let him buy me... an elephant ear and a lemonade while we watched the horse show. I came home with a heavy heart. How could this happen?!

Never have I refused horse stuff...I must be sick! At any rate, now I'm really regretting that I didn't let him buy me the bridle, and I can't help but wonder, do I want it because I will need a new bridle soon-ish (current briidle is a Miller's Somerset and it is starting to show it's age!) or do I want it because it's one of those "I;m offered it, so I have to have it" things. Or maybe I'm finally growing up

I don't know what it is, but I hope it never happens again!!

awww very sad.

Not sure about the chaps but if they fit and are good quality they will probably last you for ever. Therefore spending less on chaps every year.

Give Casey a hug for me. Missed having you as my giftee this year!

P.

Why don't you let the boyfriend pay for the half chaps? If you don't love them though, I would return them. But it sounds as though your bridle really needs replacing, let him buy that. And you can use it for everyday as well as showing, that way you get good value for your money. Good leather is meant to be used, I don't even show but I have several high end bridles for everyday riding, treat yourself.