The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Would you use sexed semen to pick your foal's gender?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I'd want a filly!

42 72.41%
  • Yes! I'd want a colt!

11 18.97%
  • No, I wouldn't/I want it to be a surprise

5 8.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff: Who would pick their foal's gender if they could??

This is a spinoff from Lazy Palomino Hunter's thread about sexed semen becoming commercially available in 2010.

If the cost was not an issue, would you buy sexed semen? Would you want a colt or a filly?

I think this would be a great tool for breeders, who are running a business. As far as my case, I would have probably picked a filly if I had had a choice. But I ended up with a colt and now that he is here I cannot possible imagine wanting anything else. It is like the Stones song "You can't always get want you want......."

Cross threading also, the mares condition apparently plays a large role. My mare was being fed "very well" at the vets = colt.

If I wanted a keeper filly, then yes I would prefer to be able to choose gender in advance. I am trying to get one out of one of my mares now and she keeps having colts.

Unless I was looking to keep the foal or were selling in-utero, I wouldn't breed for a specific sex. If I bred for colts, I'm sure everyone would be looking for fillies
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I voted filly, but I certainly would not want to always pick it. Depends very much on certain circumstances.

Right now, I have a Veneziano mare with an old fracture/dislocation of the left hind and a joint that hurts you to look at it. Arthritis waiting to happen. She will not be kept past being comfortable, but I really want a few foals from her, specifically a filly to continue her line in my broodmare band. Add that due to her naming letter, the filly named in honor of my Mom will have to be from that mare, at least given my current broodmare herd.

So yes, absolutely, I would choose a filly from her. I dream of little black fillies (black guaranteed from match). Probably can't afford to use sexed semen in 2010, but I'll be doing every filly dance I can think of.

In that case, yes, definitely.

In other specific future cases, possibly.

As a general rule, no.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Absolutely, positively in a couple of cases.

I'd have sold an organ for a keeper filly out of the Big Bay Broodmare Extraordinaire(tm) Especially the one that was guaranteed dilute tobi.

I'd love to be able to use it in planning for 'keepers.' There are certain future plans that require a colt or a filly from certain lines. I stack the deck as much as humanly possible in all other areas, sex is the one I can't do much of anything about. I think that's the value. Situations exactly like DT mentioned above.

It certainly would help to keep numbers where you want them, rather than dithering about keeping the 'wrong' sex exceptional foal that you really needed the opposite plumbing.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I'm planning to breed for myself and just want a filly...

...so if you promise not to tell my trainer (who thinks a more level headed gelding would be better for me and is probably not wrong), I would guarantee myself a little girl!

I can imagine...oh gee...look at that, a filly....gosh darn trainer, I know you thought a gelding would be better....oh well, that's um..nature for you...yeah, that's it...nature...

There needs to be a 4th choice..."It depends...colt or filly" My stallion produces a lot of fillies and I wanted a colt from one mare so badly after 4 gorgeous fillies in a row, that I could not stand it. I finally got my keeper colt this year...a stunning little guy. Sometimes I'd prefer a filly...it just depends on the stallion and mare and why I'm crossing them.

I agree with "it depends".

MOST of the time, I want fillies. I got 3/5 fillies this year, most importantly, the one that I SO wanted to be a filly (was sexed a colt), was in fact a beautiful filly

Although I sold a foal in-utero earlier this year, owner wanted a colt, she got it. The other colt I got sold within a week of listing. I'm keeping two fillies, and still have one for sale. I'm on the fence about whether to sell one of my mares' foals in-utero this year... I want a keeper filly from her, as she's a super mare, and she's bred to an awesome stallion. I just know that if I sell it, it will be a filly, and if I keep it, it will be a colt...

Then there is one mare I have, who if I can even get her in foal, would KILL for a colt by my Section A stallion out of her. I think that would be such an awesome potential stallion prospect... they compliment eachother so well. We are breeding her a young Hanoverian stallion next year as she is so proven, and we can really get a good idea of what is the sire, and what is the dam.. perhaps in 2011 I shall attempt for that colt by my Section A.

It all really depends, yes, I like fillies & mares. A lot of people like to ride geldings better. Pick your poison I guess.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

If there was minimal expense, yes, it would be cool to be able to pick the sex. We have a mare who now by her fourth foal it's becoming easy to see her fillies are nicer... so it would be cool to be able to have fillies from her. And we have a mare who has had 6 foals and only had fillies. So perhaps a colt from her would be interesting. Likewise just as some stallions are stallion or mare producers it would be neat to be able to choose. As people have mentioned, also in the case of a mare who is having her last foal, having a keeper filly guaranteed would be good too!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

More food for thought:

If everyone wants fillies, what will happen if the gender ratio gets tipped to one side? Do you think that the "pool" of colt that we have to pick the highest quality stallions from will be severely limited? Would that potentially decrease the number of quality stallions available?

And what about the market for geldings? I'm personally a gelding fan, would a more limited amount of geldings mean they become more expensive than mares?

Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by oharabear View Post
    More food for thought:

If everyone wants fillies, what will happen if the gender ratio gets tipped to one side? Do you think that the "pool" of colt that we have to pick the highest quality stallions from will be severely limited? Would that potentially decrease the number of quality stallions available?

And what about the market for geldings? I'm personally a gelding fan, would a more limited amount of geldings mean they become more expensive than mares?

Just wondering what everyone thinks.
    I had the same thought, but I'm surprised more people want mares. (I'm a diehard mare fan myself )

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    ... I'm on the fence about whether to sell one of my mares' foals in-utero this year... I want a keeper filly from her, as she's a super mare, and she's bred to an awesome stallion. I just know that if I sell it, it will be a filly, and if I keep it, it will be a colt...
    Why not sell it in-utero pending it being a colt? I have seen plenty of ads to that effect.

I would love to be able to guarantee sex. I am hoping to buy a Luso or Andy stud colt at some point in the future, and it would be very nice to be able to buy one in-utero or even an embryo for ET that was sex-selected.

For me though, the thin mare gives a filly thing worked. Mare was having trouble keeping weight, and sure enough I got a filly.

Depends on the year and the cross. I am fairly pro filly for the most part. That way I have the option of keeping or selling. Colts always are for sale.

I think it would be nice sometimes to be able to choose a foal's gender. I have a mare who had such a nice foal that I repeated the cross in hopes of a filly, but no such luck. She's now had three colts in a row. If there were a way to affordably guarantee a filly from that particular mare & stallion, I'd do it. Otherwise I'd probably leave it up to fate. Breeders seem to prefer fillies, but riders seem to prefer geldings, so you can't please everyone anyhow .
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

I would, because I would be breeding for myself and really only want a colt. In fact, the thoughts of getting a filly is one of the big things that STOPS me from breeding for myself. Because I don't want one!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

When I was breeding for myself, I frequently got asked if I was hoping for a colt or a filly, and honestly, I really didn't care much. The "surprise" was nice in that situation. Though now that my "filly" is two and developing no nicely, I'm rather glad she's a filly. If she were to injure herself, she's definitely nice enough to become a broodie, which is nice insurance, of a sort.

I do feel rather bad for my good friend who foaled her out. She breeds Belgian drafts, and has been hoping for fillies for so long, and both that year and the year before, I think the only fillies born on her property were mine, and one other boarder who was there to have their mare foaled out. She has a fabulous mare who has only ever produced one filly for her, and I know she'd love to get another one out of her. If she could afford it, and it were available for a stallion that would compleent that mare, I'm sure she'd be interested in sexed semen to get a filly.

Interestingly, my mare's filly is the first mare I'd ever owned, after a long list of geldings. Then her filly was born, my babysitter gelding passed away and was replaced by an aged mare, and now I'm suddenly finding myself surrounded by bay mares I find I rather like it, so maybe if it was very inexpensive by the time I get around to breeding one again I'd go for another girl, but I really don't feel that strongly, so I voted for "Surprise me"

It would depend upon the instance. What I would probably do is opt to choose a filly in certain circumstances- then leave it to fate in the others....But then again, there are instances when I would truly prefer a colt, if only to make sure that I am not tempted to retain it past three or four years of age!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Colts definitely sell better, but for a breeder's long term goals, a filly is preferable if you know a previous cross was good or if you want a baby to keep from a great mare. Honestly if I had to say, we'd rather have colts since our goal is to sell them, but fillies are always nice too.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I do not play the AI game, so selection of gender is not a realistic possibility for me but... I always want fillies. You do not have to cut the nuts off them. All colts have to be denutted to stay in the herd, which is where I prefer that they stay to grow up. Cutting the nuts off costs money, and is a hassle.