The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kids say the darndest things...

So, my TB gelding Arizona (Ari) has one eye. He had the other removed last March as a result of recurrent uveitis and its effects on an old injury. He has recouped well, is back to being a normal horse, jumping and living out 24-7 and being the leader of the herd.

His missing eye has taken some getting used to for the folks who don't see him everyday, but its just part of "the look" now and I rarely think of it.

One of my students brought her best friends and their kids out the other day for a pony ride on her pony. I was headed out to ride Ari as they arrived, so when I came back in from a sweaty jump school, I was introduced. They'd watched him jumping and when he turned his eye-less side to them, the parents were a little . They asked some questions and I showed the kids how his "blinker" still works. I told them that 99% of the time it doesn't effect him at all, the only time I notice that he's missing an eye is if we have a hard left turn to a fence and I have to be careful to give him room to SEE it.

Well, my student tells me today that the oldest kid (about 6 years old) thought I was awfully silly for making poor Ari jump without being able to see on one whole side...

After all, he explained, it would just be so easy to take the one good eye he has left and put it in the middle of his forehead so he could see better.

Well DUH-I can't believe you didn't think of that yourself

OMG, ROFLMBO.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

You need to submit that beaut to It Made My Day.com
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Nov. 18, 2009 at 07:06 AM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

why are little kids not ruling the world with their insane logic? seriously, if little kids ran the world, life would be much simpler, and horses with one eye would be cyclopes! and a happy life it would be...
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

That would be a $400 Reader's Digest submission.

Good for that kid.
    Sure would help the horse see better, right?

Epona, will you please write a book one day? Your life is so much more interesting than mine, and so much more fun to live vicariously through
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That would be a $400 Reader's Digest submission.

Good for that kid.
    Sure would help the horse see better, right?

OH REALLY?!?!

Years ago a fabulous trainer I worked for had a bit of a 'twisted' sense of humour...she would refer to the sales horse by their faults...'no tail'...'mutton withers' etc.. We had one spooky one that that she called 'blind'. One day when buyers were trying horses she told the new kid in the barn to bring out 'the bay gelding in the back barn'....the youngster said 'ummm... the blind one??'
    Needless to say...
    * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
    NO! What was the question?

And to add to that- my TOTALLY non-horsey brother is doing the music for my musical pas de deux I'm doing with a friend of mine. I sent him the video of us practicing, and he said "Wow, your horse has this really neat bounce to his step!"

When I explained that we actually STRIVE for that bounce he was amazed.

I was amazed that he knew WHICH horse was mine.

My little lesson kiddie was brushing her mount after her lesson this morning and announced that she liked the song that was playing on the radio. She "like(s) this music!"

Kid is 5. The song was by Muse. Operatic hard rock for those who don't know them.

She also told me that she needs to learn how to post so she doesn't hurt the pony's back. She's had.....3 lessons. Maybe 4.

I tell you, the kid is after my own heart.

Quote Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
    My little lesson kiddie was brushing her mount after her lesson this morning and announced that she liked the song that was playing on the radio. She "like(s) this music!"

Kid is 5. The song was by Muse. Operatic hard rock for those who don't know them.

She also told me that she needs to learn how to post so she doesn't hurt the pony's back. She's had.....3 lessons. Maybe 4.

I tell you, the kid is after my own heart.
    She sounds like a keeper!!!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

I was riding my gelding and he kept spooking at one end of our ring. One of my boarders was there with her 4 year old son watching us. My friend commented on how my gelding was a handful. I said "He is just a chicken." After I was finished riding, I was hosing down my horse and her son came up and said "why are you getting chicken wet?" All I could do was laugh.
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg
    Isadora - Palomino TB