The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pennsylvania SPCA rescued horse needs foster home

This was part of an email, if you can help please take a look, the first animals

Horse Rescue

If it's near the time when an Update is going to go out, I try to include animal rescue or missing animal info that I become aware of. Perhaps this is in part because my wife Helen rounded up our resident little dog Bud as he was playing in traffic by the Kemblesville Post Office, on a cold January night. MUCH effort was expended trying to determine his owners, with the ultimate conclusion being that someone probably "dropped him off out in the country." To this day, about 9 years later, he still "melts" when he encounters a young girl in the 4-8 year old range. We presume that such a young lady must have been his best pal during puppy-hood.

Concerning the following animal rescue item, please remember that, about 100 years ago, I owned multiple horses. So I'm certainly aware that taking on a horse, or another horse, means taking on significant expense.

<< I got a call from Doug Newbold (a woman) from the Pennsylvania SPCA regarding a horse (that looked like an Arabian) that was sent to them as an severe abuse case. The poor horse, gelding, 11 years old, emaciated, dirty, is frightened to pieces, and now being held on Erie Street in Philadelphia, which Doug says is not best place. The horse is manageable, only scared, and they are looking for someone to help this poor horse. If anyone feels the need to rescue, at least long enough to get him on his feet and find him a home, it would be so appreciated. I was also told that they were cleaning him up.

Please, if you, or you know of anyone that could help, call Doug Newbold at the SPCA at 610-296-0463.

Not sure what the first half of the message has to do with anything (the dog is not looking for a home NOW, obviously, and the background is just an unnecessary distraction to getting the word out regarding the horse ), but... BUMP for the gelding in need of a foster.

Anyone have space?

It was a longer email yet, I just included everything under the section marked HORSE RESCUE, and I agree, it was just a personal note I guess. I guess they felt a need to add some personal experience about animal welfare. Anyway, it is what it is and I don't like to edit emails and post in my own words so I chose to leave it in and post the message in it's entirety. I didn't see the relevance either.

Quote Originally Posted by Laytian View Post
    Not sure what the first half of the message has to do with anything (the dog is not looking for a home NOW, obviously, and the background is just an unnecessary distraction to getting the word out regarding the horse ), but... BUMP for the gelding in need of a foster.

Anyone have space?

I don't live in that area of PA anymore... I am in Lexington KY now, but hope the poor guy finds a home! I loved my Arab, such a devoted, loving breed. I'm sure this guy will make someone who helps him very happy!

I wish I could, but I'm still "fostering" the two that I took in from the horrible hoarder from last year at this time (update episode was just on Animal Cops last night). I don't think they're coming back for them & even if they tried, they'd have to steal them from me!!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

I wonder if this horse rescue will make the Animal Cops Philadalphia show on Animal Planet.

I do hope someone will take him and give him a good home so they can do a follow up program with a happy ending.