The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Insurance for fellow boarder who occasionally rides my horse?

For reasons that are unclear, my barn is "suddenly" concerned about a fellow boarder whom I pay to occasionally ride my horse. She is a wonderful rider (much better than me) and my horse loves her. I pay her a small amount and she rides at most once a week. Now there are "liability" concerns along the lines of "if she injures your horse can you sue the farm"? WTF???? I should add that other boarders fairly routinely ride each other's horses, although not necessarily for money. If push comes to shove, I guess I can buy liability insurance for the woman who rides my horse. Anyone know how much that would be a year???

If she is being paid, shouldn't she carry insurance?

When other people ride my horses (part-boarding), I ask that they be members of our provincial organization. This membership includes some liability insurance, for example, if my horse injured someone or another horse while in that rider's control. That costs about $35 a year.

Gosh, I'm glad I live in the backwards South. I have never heard of such! Our society has become so litigation-happy it is pathetic. I had a Rolex rider helping with my horses for 5 years and neither of us nor the barn where I boarded ever even thought of this!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I suppose I would ask my barn why the sudden concern. Is nobody now allowed to ride anybody else's horse or is this matter only about your horse? Perhaps the barn doesn't like the fact you are paying the rider?
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

It could very well be an insurance thing from the BO's insurance company. My insurance company has gotten much more specific about who teaches here. When I renewed my insurance this year they specifically asked about other trainers & their insurance & made it clear that I'd be in very deep water if anything happened and the instructor was not listed on my policy. To change that made my premium go up a lot.

So if I have a clinic here, I get additional clinic insurance. If someone else wants to ride with another instructor they can pay the $75/day additional fee & have me listed as an additional insured, but that's about it!

Any idea how much a policy would cost to cover someone who rides a horse once a week?

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhorse2000 View Post
    Any idea how much a policy would cost to cover someone who rides a horse once a week?
    I don't think there is an insurance company who will cover you for when someone rides your horse. I have a personal liability policy and this doesn't cover other people riding my horse. I do have a million dollars in coverage and it only cost $150 a year. I have someone who half leases my horse and the insurance company told me I had to have her sign a liability waiver stating I am not responsible should something happen to her.

The person who ride horses knows of the risk and insurance companies usually state this.

It's totally different if you are a trainer working for a barn then you would get a commercial policy.

I am glad I have the personal liability coverage. It offers me a peace of mind and people are so sue happy these days.

I have the persons who ride sign a liability waiver, I have liability insurance for my horse (think bolting at a show and taking out a 10 year old on a pony), and because my trainer uses my horse in an occasional lesson I am also listed as a coinsured on his liability policy. I also have a waiver with the trainer for use of the horse.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

To be clear, I would buy an insurance policy for the woman who is riding my horse. It sounds like $150 a year would give her more than enough coverage should something happen while she is riding my horse . . .

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhorse2000 View Post
    To be clear, I would buy an insurance policy for the woman who is riding my horse. It sounds like $150 a year would give her more than enough coverage should something happen while she is riding my horse . . .
    I am 90% sure that the earlier poster who referred to a $150 policy is referring to a Private Horse Owner Liability policy, and those only apply in non-commercial situations. That insurance is pretty much just for you, the owner, who are riding your own horse for non-commercial gain. If this woman is getting on your horse at your request and is receiving monetary compensation, and she doesn't own/insure the farm premises on which she is acting, then the only product I'm aware of that protects her is commercial equine liability insurance. Which is four or five times the cost of a Private Horse Owner Liability policy.

I know this really sucks for you. I too remember the good old days where none of us ever worried about this stuff.

What about if you DON'T pay someone else to ride your horse?

I am getting married in the spring and probably won't be able to ride for about 2 weeks. There 2 people at the barn I board at that I was thinking of asking to hack my horse while I'm gone, but--would I have to get insurance to cover myself in this situation?
    friend of bar.ka

You BO is correct. As soon as you pay someone to ride your horse that person becomes a professional. And most barns require professionals that work at their barn to have their own professional liability insurance (a trainer's policy).

I'm a BO, and my commercial liability policy does not insure professionals who work on my farm--they need to carry their own insurance and in addition my insurance company requires that they add my farm as an "additional insured" to their policy. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the main concern is not necessarily an injury to the horse being ridden. There are a myriad of accidents that could happen, some involving other riders/other people on the farm or damages to property.

A boarder can ride another boarder's horse on the farm for free, but once money changes hands the situation changes. I too remember the "good old days" when you could hire a good local rider for a few $$ to do a few rides here and there.

It is easy for someone who has nothing to lose to say, "What's the big deal?" However, I think it is perfectly reasonable for your BO to refuse to take on someone else's liability when her property and her business might be at stake. It isn't your BO's fault that we live in such a litigious society.