The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Apache by Mezcalero wins LAEC World Cup Qualifier

Just heard today from my partner in California that Mezcalero's outstanding son Apache, bred by Doug White, won the WC Qualifier at the Los Angeles Equestrian Center. I am gathering details and hope to have more info later. Apache was a two time winner of the YJC Western Championships and has had some top placings in Grand Prix with rider and owner Richard Spooner.

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:27 PM.
    www.octoberhill.com

Home of approved stallions Coconut Grove, Mezcalero, Justice, Ocordo, Amaretto D II, Churchill OHS, Concho OHS, and Cascani.

That's great! Congrats!!

What is the dam's breeding?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

An austrlian thorougbred who jumped A/O jumpers--From the Young Jumper chmaopionship Press release:

Apache’s dam was a thoroughbred mare from Australia, which White bought with three others. She was ridden in amateur jumpers and died after Apache was born. White describes the mare as “extremely hot." He saw Apache's sire Mezcalero at Spruce Meadows and was impressed with how quiet he was. “He had the biggest kindest eye—as kind a horse as I have ever been around.”
    White says, “Ever since Apache was born, he was special. He just had a look about him. He was pretty proud of himself from day
    one. I had a bunch of colts, running out in the field. He would run right up too you and stand there.”
    White’s wife started Apache, but he was a little big and a little quick, so one day during a visit, they put Richard Spooner on him. Spooner liked him and took over the ride.
    White hopes to “go the whole route” with Apache. “Of all the horses I have raised, and that is quite a few, I think this is the nicest and I have had a lot of nice horses. He is in a class by himself, but you never know until they get there. You have to take the time to do it. You can’t push them too fast. If you get in a hurry, you set one back.”
    According to Spooner “This is an exceptional horse.
    Last edited by omare; Nov. 16, 2009 at 01:02 PM.

So glad to see this. It has been fun following Apache's career and to hear more about his dam.
    I have a mare out of and Australian TB (GP/World Cup class winner) in foal to Mez.
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Gift Hill Farm

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Apache is wonderful! I got the pleasure of seeing him at Thermal!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

I have been a groom and farm manager for 14 years. Working with hundreds of horses I can say without a doubt the kindest, easiest horse I have ever had the pleasure of working with was by Mezcalero.

Grrr, I'm kicking myself SO badly right now as I had a chance to watch the Grand Prix but decided I was too tired after helping all day at a schooling show. If I'd only known Richard Spooner was going to be riding Apache I would have gone no matter what.

Found this clip of the round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v51dHHyqJEc

Congratulations!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

They look gorgeous!

Great round! Congratulations!
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers