The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Singe instead of clip in the tight and boney spots-Unsafe?.

Like fetlocks, Elbows, throatlatch.
    There was a youtube link to an old timer singing a horse- does anyone still have it? -I have a brass hand help lamp thing made by Clayton and Lambert that may be an old singer.
    If not I was going to use a BBQ lighter set on the lowest and have a damp sponge to wipe after the singe.
    Proposed proceedure -Singe Wipe, Singe wipe. I think going too fast over too large an area would get hot for the horse.

I have never heard of this technique for clipping a horse. I have a very level headed horse who is easy to clip and I just use a smaller clipper with the same size blade. I do not think my horse would like the smell of burning hair. I think it might actually scare her as she does not especially like a hot shoeing either.

I agree with Addison, I have no idea why you would do this in this day and age. A #10 blade on your A10 size clippers cuts hair to the same length as a big body clippers and you can get into all those tight places easily.

She is already clipped it is just the named areas that are tough to get to that I didn't clip cleanly.
    Anyone have a pic of an old horse singeing lamp?

I hope you have really good medical insurance.

Seriously. Why? There are clippers and blades that can do what you want and don't endanger your horse or you.

I don't get it.

Please dear God, tell me you're not planning to singe your horse. You probably have the best of intentions and will be very careful if you do it, but I can imagine 100 ways that this could go wrong and your horse would be the one to pay the price. So your clip job isn't "perfect"...so what. Not worth the risk IMO.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

I thought that singeing was used to remove cat hairs, not neaten up a clip job?

Here's the video-

http://88.208.202.216/1755?playTrailer=true

Says I need a subscription to watch it though.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Anyone have a pic of an old horse singeing lamp?

No, but I have a picture of horses who burned to death in a barn fire.

Will that help answer your question?

When I've seen it done, it was with a candle. Worked pretty well for the long guard hair type hairs.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

OP, please post the video you saw on youtube, I really want to see this...

Kookiecat, i couldn't get that video to work but it says on there in all caps "DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!" ...hopefully the OP will honor that request

Better using a lighter but still no great shakes. It would work in a pinch on a fresh clip but on a gray it leaves a beige tinge. Smooths out a clipper track but the slightest breeze will blow out a ligher flame and I personally think butane burns a bit hot. Parrafin was the ideal choice as I recall reading way back when.

Result- Would work okay on a breezeless day.
    You need to go in small patches depending on the heat of the fuel.
    Cleans up a missed clipper track/spot well.

Would I try it with the correct equipment? Probably- And to the alarmists I did choose an inflammable spot to singe.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    No, but I have a picture of horses who burned to death in a barn fire.

Will that help answer your question?
    Stupid is as stupid does . I will bet you can't within 15 minutes post where the fire extinguishers are in your barn and when they were last serviced. BTW do you even know how to use one?

Oh, the memories! When I was a teenager, I had an ancient horse book that showed how to singe. So I tried it! I used a candle and singed off all the guard hairs from my horse's face. It worked fine and did not hurt him; I was careful. That said, it didn't hold a candle to electric clippers. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

I for one, have a an extinguisher in my truck, in my trailer and there is one in the center of the barn. I do know they are up to date as I replaced the ones I bought the year before with new ones. And, yes I can read and I do know how to use them.

...and I still would not use an open flame to clip any part of my horse. Using clippers is simply not that hard and if it is too difficult for someone to do without the use of a torch of some kind than perhaps they should hire someone who can do the job.

5... your last comment directed at JSWAN was really obnoxious.

This sounds like a very bad idea!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I have never heard of such a thing, wouldn't ever try it on my boy!

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

5, if you're such a bloody expert on this technique, why are you even posting a question here?

Everyone here says it's dangerous, not only because you could burn your horse, but because you could burn down your barn due to all the flammable materials prevalent in one. Everyone also agrees that clippers do a better job.

Seems to me like you're a troll stirring the pot.

How can you guys categorically hate a technique you haven't tried and can't even see on this video?

Let's assume the old timers' barns were just as flammable as ours.

Let's assume that their horses (perhaps with more TB blood and without the benefit of good drugs) were just as averse to fire.

Let's assume that they wanted their clip jobs to look as good as we'd like ours to look.

Never having seen it done, but having been witness to (and perpetrator in) some bad clip jobs in tight places, I'll happily watch someone else try another technique
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Actually, I have several fire extinguishers within easy reach and they are always serviced and ready to use at a moments notice.

I can guarantee you I'll never need to use one because I lit my horse on fire with a BBQ lighter.

I know what folks used to do 100 years ago - but now we have things like electricity, GFCI outlets, and clippers. I'm familiar with the "old timey" way of doing things - and sometimes it's best to abandon those methods. If you need some pointers on clipping there are loads of folks on this BB who would be happy to help you - including me.

It's much easier to learn how to clip a horse properly than put out a barn fire - or a horse on fire or who suffers severe burns.

If you're already an expert on using singing lamps - then there is no need to ask questions. A BBQ lighter is not a singing lamp - it is an open flame not designed to be used in the manner you describe.

In short - what you are attempting to do is unsafe and unwise. You seem determined to do it anyway - so why ask?

Stupid is as stupid does . I will bet you can't within 15 minutes post where the fire extinguishers are in your barn and when they were last serviced. BTW do you even know how to use one?
    Last edited by JSwan; Nov. 16, 2009 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    How can you guys categorically hate a technique you haven't tried and can't even see on this video?
    Because we have intelligence and powers of deductive reasoning: clippers are inherently safer than open flames around horses and barns.

Let's assume the old timers' barns were just as flammable as ours.
    You know what happens when one ASS U MEs... but by all means, let's...

Let's assume that their horses (perhaps with more TB blood and without the benefit of good drugs) were just as averse to fire.

Let's assume that they wanted their clip jobs to look as good as we'd like ours to look.
    Ya know, if 1000 people jumped off the Empire State Building, I would say the world is rid of 1,000 stupid people. I wouldn't say, "Gee, I think I'll try that."

Never having seen it done, but having been witness to (and perpetrator in) some bad clip jobs in tight places, I'll happily watch someone else try another technique
    Well, you know, practise makes perfect. Try practising with the clippers a bit more and it will look a lot better than burned hair. Smells better, too. I have no problem getting my clip jobs to look good, even in the tight or boney areas. It's not that hard. Really.

WOW! I feel so much better now, knowing you are lighting a flame under a horse. FWIW, I know where they are, when they were serviced and how to use them. Still don't care enough about a few stray hairs to try this possible entry into the Darwin awards.