The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite Horse Books With a H/J Background?

So what are everyone's favorite horse books, especially those with a hunter/jumper/eq background? I have about a 3 hour downtime daily at work and usually read during that time. I am making my way through horse books and hope there are some left to read

Fiction, young adult, based on real life events, mystery, etc. are all great. I have read Jody Jaffe(one of the best, IMO!)'s "Chestnut Mare, Beware", "In Colt Blood", and "Horse of a Different Killer" and loved them all. I've also ridden some of the classics such as "Last Junior Year" (still so upset that the book fell apart and I only have page 70 onward). I've read "Perfect Distance", "Dark Horse" by Tami Hoag (another GREAT mystery!), etc. I also loved "Seabiscuit" and just picked up "The Horse God Built" at Borders today, it's about Secretariat and his groom. Looks like it's going to be a good one!

Any suggestions from people? I really want to read "Hot Blood", but can't find it anywhere.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

My favorite horsey books are by Rita Mae Brown! Can't go wrong with murder mysteries centered around VA foxhunting towns

I cant remember the exact name as I have lent this book out and so many people have read it I don't know if I will ever get it back. It is called In and Out- the first year. My friends husband called it horse soap opera!! It is a hoot!! Fictional but pretty close to the truth!!!--The second book was never written to my knowledge and it should have been!!!

Virginia Gentleman!! Such a good book!!

If you want another copy of Last Junior Year, go to bookfinder.com---they have several.

Hunter Seat Equitation Book By George Morris is a good one.
    EveryEquestrian.com An equine marketing service catering to horse buyers, sellers, and breeders.

i LOVED in & out. ive read it three times! i so wish she would make more. its so entertaining and very right on with the scenes and background and everything

Who wrote In and Out?

Riders by Jilly Cooper. In & Out by Barbara Moss. And another vote for the Rita Mae Brown fox hunting novels.

"Hot Blood" is available new on Amazon now, so it must be in print again! When I bought it the other year, I had to get it used.

"A Legend Like Lightning" by Dorothy Ours about Man O'War is excellent.

Rita Mae Brown's hunting mysteries are a good fun read

The Perfect Distance by Kim Ablon Whitney. From Amazon: Francie Martinez, 17, has the good fortune to work at the stables of one of the best equitation trainers in the country. Previous students have gone from firsts at the Maclay Finals in New York City to Olympic teams, and Francie dreams of following in those august footsteps. Her father, a Mexican immigrant, met her mother at these same stables and is now the head of all the grooms–though Mom left ages ago. Francie's acceptance as a student is not without peril, as Tara is being groomed for first-place wins and trainer Rob hardly pays Francie any attention at all. Her fellow students and her school friends bring all the modern-day pressures vividly to life, from pushy parents to alcohol, sex, and the privileges of the rich. In a sport filled with wealthy people, the teen has to make an extra effort to find her place and accept reality without giving up her dreams. The author rode in many similar equitation events, and currently acts as judge, which adds to the authenticity. As a result, the terminology is accurate, but assumes a familiarity on the part of readers. The plot involves romance and making ethically wise choices in all areas of life.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

The 1970's era kid/teen novel The Monday Horses by Jean Slaughter Doty, of course.

I second the Jean Slaughter Doty recommendation, loved all her books and started picking them up again now. The K.M. Peyton books, especially "Fly-by-night" and its sequel, are great. I know there's more in that series but I've only just read the first sequel. (:

I second Horse People by Micheal Korda! Fantastic book, I actually just got done reading it-for the 7th time. I read very fast, and run out of books...so I read my favorites over and over and over.

Definitely Jilly Cooper's Riders. Absolutely my favorite horsey novel - and it's good and long, so it'll last you a little while, too!

I loved In & Out. Will have to read many you've all recommended - didn't realize there were so many contemporary choices to choose from!!

old favorites I still have on my shelf, some may be out of print:

Afraid to Ride- CW Anderson
    Scarlet Royal -Anne Emery
    A Horse of Her Own - Selma Hudnut

a more recent and amazingly moving read, it's not a story but an incredible book, about the author's work in equine assisted psychotherapy:

It's Not About the Horse - Wyatt Webb

Barbara Moss's editor should be shot.

I loved all the "Jill" books by British author, Ruby Ferguson.

I read the first one when I was 10 or so and managed to get the school librarian to accept a book in trade so I could keep it!

I read the series as a kid and several years ago purchased them. Here is a website I found...

http://rubyferguson.ponymadbooklovers.co.uk/

Jilly Cooper's "Riders" — "Sex and horses; who could ask for anything more?" Best vacation read ever.

"Not By Accident" by Samantha Dunn — If you've ever been in an accident and wondered if you'd ever ride again.

"The Right Horse" and "The Wrong Horse" by William Murray — Essential for racing fans.

"Horse Heaven" "A Year at The Races" and "Barn Blind" by Jane Smiley
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Quote Originally Posted by 17hTBmare View Post
    Barbara Moss's editor should be shot.
    I agree 100%.

(did love the book though)
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain