The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Teddyatcenterline Guest

Default Teddy fractures a bone

OK, so I lose my horrible job and I am looking forward to finally riding as much as I like and then.........I've published another blog post with an X-ray of the fracture.

http://www.teddyatcenterline.com/200...ed-splint.html

Thanks for reading.
    Elizabeth
    http://www.teddyatcenterline.com

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

The bright side is... The job was horrible, and now you don't have to do it anymore... I am sorry about the fracture. There is a window here. It will be revealed... Truely sorry about the fx...

I am so sorry!! What is the prognosis?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quite often this sort of thing can have a rather good prognosis, so I hope that's the case with your horse. Sedating the horse so it doesn't hurt itself while it's healing is often very helpful too.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC2
    Quite often this sort of thing can have a rather good prognosis,
    Well done for repeating what the OP already knows and by copying and pasting from her own blog!

Personally speaking in terms of general management, I wouldn't recommend sedation or even total box rest.

I'd be going for ensuring the horse is kept calm and comfortable and restricted on it's space to something with a good soft surface. So most likely peet or deep sawdust footing. Food knocked right back so they're not hyper and possibly with a quiet pony to accompany them.

But then I don't have anything that would go silly just because they had to be somewhat restricted. So for mine that would mean away to the small paddock and contained to about 20ft x 20ft initially and next to a field with some sensible "friends" over the fence or a quiet elderly pony to potter about with.

If the horse is a bit bonkers or busting out of it's skin fit then it's always going to be a bit of problem if it's to be contained and I'd knock off all the high energy feed and bring it down as quick as possible and if necessary use chemicals to help in the short term.

a little encouragement - in my experience, your horse's fracture has an excellent prognosis for full recovery. This is actually a pretty common injury. It's still frustrating, though. I understand. I will lose at least a year, between recovery and rehab, from my horse's fracture. I am so grateful though, that he should make a full recovery too.

Also, if your vet suggested long term sedation to keep your horse form injuring you or himself during the rehab process, i would follow his direction.

My horse fractured his coffin bone in a feak accident this past summer. We still dont know how....sound in the am, dead lame in the afternoon. He is a hot horse and had just moved up to PSG so he was pretty fit. He has been on stall rest for over 5 months and needed Reserpine (at my vet's direction)to keep quiet and avoid additional injury. There is no way he could have handled the recovery by just cutting his grain (which we did anyway...he now lives on air and hay) and putting him in a small paddock with soft footing. that's ridiculous. So, follow your vet's directives. He knows the whole situation better than anyone here and can give you the best advice. Neither you or horse needs to get hurt during the rehab process, especially now that the temperature is falling to yeeehaw levels.

I am not a big believer in better dressage through chemistry. But an ill timed buck, scoot, or bolt during rehab can set you back months. horses are horses. why take the chance?

Teddyatcenterline Guest

Teddy's prognosis is excellent. He should begin real work again after the first of the year. He was a very good boy this morning as it was 37 degrees and could have been quite an inspiration to act up. He was cool and calm, looked at a few things. I had a lot of trouble getting him forward at the trot, so I worked on my seat without stirrups . He is very sedate He is stalled with friends to touch on either side. He does not receive grain as such so I do not worry about food being a problem. However, his elderly neighbor gets alfalfa. Teddy never gets alfalfa it makes him crazy. I found Teddy on his knees trying to get a whiff of it this morning.

Thanks for your input!

Elizabeth

Last edited by Teddyatcenterline; Nov. 14, 2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: word change

Just wondering what surgery was recommended to you for the splint bone. Was it to remove the piece or to remove the entire splint bone? I've known 2 horses that had the entire bone removed, that were only off for 2 weeks, and even walking under saddle was allowed after 3 days. My personal horse broke his splint bone getting kicked in pasture. We wanted to do surgery as they said he would be right as rain in under 6 weeks, but upon x-ray they found the fracture went into the knee capsule so he was a no go. Just wondering what kind of rehab they were talking for your guy. I have always heard having splint bones removed is fairly easy on them.

Sorry to hear about Teddy and welcome to the fractured bones club.

My mare fractured her neck (have no idea how) 2 months ago.

I just fractured my leg bucked from another horse.

so now we are both on a long re-hab. Its a career ending fracture for my PSG 11 yr old mare. Mine hopefully will heal fully.

Patience is our friend now.

So glad Teddy will be okay - and DA - so, so sorry! Hope your luck starts to turn for the better SOON!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Teddyatcenterline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    Sorry to hear about Teddy and welcome to the fractured bones club.

My mare fractured her neck (have no idea how) 2 months ago.

I just fractured my leg bucked from another horse.

so now we are both on a long re-hab. Its a career ending fracture for my PSG 11 yr old mare. Mine hopefully will heal fully.

Patience is our friend now.
    I am so sorry to hear this! What will you do? I guess I could maybe write my way out of your situation, but what are you doing?

Elizabeth

Teddyatcenterline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    Just wondering what surgery was recommended to you for the splint bone. Was it to remove the piece or to remove the entire splint bone? I've known 2 horses that had the entire bone removed, that were only off for 2 weeks, and even walking under saddle was allowed after 3 days. Just wondering what kind of rehab they were talking for your guy. I have always heard having splint bones removed is fairly easy on them.
    Remove the bone piece, but right now I cannot remember what the rehab was. I will be talking to my vet this week and find out and get back to you.

Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyatcenterline View Post
    I am so sorry to hear this! What will you do? I guess I could maybe write my way out of your situation, but what are you doing?

Elizabeth
    Before I fractured my own leg, I was stressing out about my mare and feeling really sorry for "us" to be "done". I was spending even more time at the barn to take care of her than before when I was riding her. Now, I pay resident trainer to wrap/ice/walk/feed/blanket my mare. Im home in bed on narcotics for pain and that keeps me mostly sleeping, just short 1 hour times when Im awake.
    I have no idea what Ill end up doing, but what I learned that it always can be even worse: so take your situation as is and move on with a hopeful spirit

I know several FEI horses who came back from fractures, but it took more than a year of recovery and their gaits were not the same, they were more flat.