The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does anyone else have a horse that loves a job that they are horrid at.

My little draftX gelding absolutely loves jumping but is absolutely horrible at it. He gets all excited and starts dancing. He is naturally a very lazy horse so it take alot to get him excited. He is a QH x percheron 15.2 that is built like a carraige horse with carraige horse high knee action. 2ft is probably his maximum and even then he isn't very carefull. I end up spending alot of time putting poles back up while he grabs the back of my breeches and snaps me in the butt with the elastic. He also likes to take his nose and knock the poll off again. I feel like I'm playing fetch.

That is so cute. You should have some take pics of you guys jumping. It sounds like he is having fun which is what really matters. I'm not a great rider but I love do it.

Often when a horse gets worked up about jumping it's because they're nervous, not enjoying it. Especially if he's regularly hitting rails (ouch!), what you're interpreting as excitement might just be him getting really, really worried about jumping.

Just something to consider...

I knew a TB like this. He was super enthused about jumping, but could never figure out how to get his legs out of the way. He would happily motor around a crossrail course and leave a wake of destruction behind him...

Good thing he was an awesome dressage horse!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Lucky is a bottle baby. It's pretty obvious when he is nervous and when he is happy excited. It's one of his many personality quirks. He is usually a trail, parade, low level something horse. When he gets nervous he tend to buck or kick out not bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    I knew a TB like this. He was super enthused about jumping, but could never figure out how to get his legs out of the way. He would happily motor around a crossrail course and leave a wake of destruction behind him...

Good thing he was an awesome dressage horse!
    My third level dressage horse is just like this! She has no idea how to get out of her own way to jump! Poles go flying, and she crashes through them -- but she's enthusiastic! For her own safety, she is not allowed to jump!Her full sister, on the other hand, scored 7s and 8s in the jumping part of the ISR/Old Mare Performance Test - she's enthusiastic (all I had to do was POINT her at the chute!) AND talented! LOL!

*chuckle* ... I'd stick to ground poles where he can get as high as he wants (or not) and save his hooves and your back. It sure does sound cute, tho. How about a utube video for us all?
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post
    Often when a horse gets worked up about jumping it's because they're nervous, not enjoying it. Especially if he's regularly hitting rails (ouch!), what you're interpreting as excitement might just be him getting really, really worried about jumping.

True. I've seen people think horses loved jumping when the horse would rush jumps, too. All the while poor horsie was just nervous and wanted to get it OVER with.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Yup. (Sorry to pee in your Cheerios, but this is definitely my experience too. Rushing is a very common nervous/green horse reaction)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post

I agree, horses dance around and rush fences when they are nervous. In my experiance what you describe sounds like anxiety not excitment. Especialy, if he is normaly a very calm horse.

My guy gets excited about jumping too. He doesn't catch rails, he just isn't a pretty jumper at all!

I agree that sometimes anxiety can be misconstrued as excitement, but I know my horse and know the difference between the two. This is pure excitement on his part
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Lucky is a very quirky horse. He likes to grab one rein in his mouth and spin you in circles. As a foal he used to try and sneak in the house. He slept on the welcome mat on the front porch for the first 10 months of life. Its very easy to tell the difference from bad nervous to excitement. He goes and jumps them on his own if I turn him out. I rarely set up anything but x-rails for him. He loves new jobs. He gets bored very easily. Open gaits, unties himself and others, climbs in the water trough, beats other horses with feed tubs. He was my first bottle baby and I learned at great deal of what not to do for the other 20 I have had.

My TB calms down when jumping, that's why I think she likes it!

I used to gallop a racehorse that loved his job - but I don't think he won a lot. His Reg. name was Rio Grille, and he was built like a mini tank. He too would get worked up - which was why he never did race well - but you could tell he just loved to run. He would jump around his stall, and get all mad until it was his time to be ridden, and would prance about until it was time to mount up. Then he would stand so quietly, you could get on him from a mounting block. Then he would go back to jumping and prancing. He was like trying to hold back a freight train at the track, but he had such heart, you just had to love him. I actually did manage to teach him to jump though, and last I heard he was eventing.....though it's hard for me to imagine that.

I have an older (possibly draft cross, breeding unknown) horse who loves jumping but is terrible at it. We limit him to crossrails, and only occasionally. We call him the "scopeless wonder". Put a jump - even a tiny crossrail - in front of him, and his ears prick, his eyes light up, and he's not "hot" or nervous at all, just enthusiastic. I am quite certain I am not mistaking his enthusiasm for nerves. Sadly, he is absolutely hopeless at it.

He is a lesson horse, and I think he gets bored with plodding around with beginners. I'd hoped to vary his routine with some trail riding, but clearly on the trails, he is nervous - definitely doesn't enjoy that. So occasional jumping it is, and not with lesson riders, as his jump is very thrusty and awkward.

Oh well ... my 16.3hh mare wants to be a pocket pony, a job for which she's clearly not at all suited.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Quote Originally Posted by smilton View Post
    .. As a foal he used to try and sneak in the house. He slept on the welcome mat on the front porch for the first 10 months of life. Open gaits, unties himself and others, climbs in the water trough, beats other horses with feed tubs. He was my first bottle baby and I learned at great deal of what not to do for the other 20 I have had.

What was his breed?

Princess likes cows. As in, my retired 19yo English Pleasure mare likes to go roping. And she tries to 'cut' lol. My husband's friends think it is the funniest thing they've ever seen.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

By whose estimation is the OP's horse 'bad at jumping'? There is nothing wrong with lifting the knees. It may not be the current fad in the show hunter ring, but it's not bad. Try show jumping or eventing.

I had a little pony who thought he was the best dressage horse in the world. Little bra tester gaits.

He loved himself. He was so proud of himself every time he did a little tiny half pass or a little tiny flying lead change.

Who can argue with that?

I demand a video of Princess 'cutting'...

I require a video of Smilton riding Lucky over crossrails...and maybe a shot of him snapping her breeches.

And I adore slc's term "bra tester gaits".

And ALL ponies love themselves...or should!
    Last edited by Kat the Horse; Nov. 16, 2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Needed to add the 'pony' line...