The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fleece Sheets - Smartpak vs. Rambo Newmarket

I posted something about this in horse care, but I thought I might have more luck here.

I need to get a fleece sheet, mostly for use as a blanket liner but also as a cooler and for use as a dress sheet for cooler weather shows. Does anyone have experience with SmartPak's fleece sheets? Is the fleece thick and of good quality? Do they fit true to size?

I'm also really tempted by the Rambo Newmarket fleece. Are they worth the extra money?

I just bought a Newmarket sheet for both of my horses. I LOOOVE them. Really nice, thick fleece, seems good quality all around. Very cozy.

They come down a bit far in front though, if you're thinking of using it as a blanket liner. I tried it as a blanket liner and it hung down below the edge of the blanket (a Rhino Original).

I don't know about using it as a liner, but DD's pony has a Rambo Newmarket fleece and it is AWESOME!! It is very thick and a very nice quality. I ordered it for her for Christmas last year and I was really happy with it when it came.

Also, it wicks water really well. After a particularly rainy horse show (WIHS Local Weekend lol) I put it on pone pone and when we checked her again in about 15 min she was dry and warm underneath and the top of the fleece was wet.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have this Smartpak one: http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=7385.

I wouldn't say that the fleece is super thick, but it's very soft. I use it as a liner, it's definitely a bit bigger/hangs a bit lower than the other blankets, but my horse always looks nice and cozy when he's wearing it

i have the Newmarket quarter sheet & I will say the fleece is suuuuper nice. I am not familiar with the Smartpak ones, but prior to getting the Newmarket one I had the Dover fleece & it was far less superior - very very thin and cheapie. I actually just got an Equus on that is similar to the Newmarket in fleece quality, but was a bit less expensive (It was on TOTD a few weeks ago, but I found it elsewhere, it's like 4 boxes of light/dark brown. That probably doesn't make sense) Anyway, I suggest the Newmarket one. You definitely won't regret shelling out the extra dough.

No experience with the Smartpak one, but the Rambo is WONDERFUL!!! Mine doesn't fit my current horse (boo) but it makes the best couch blanket ever. Current horsie might have to get one for his next birthday.

I have the Rambo Newmarket and have been very happy with it. After going through a winter blanket every season, I finally decided to buy only Rambo. While the cost is more, the quality and durability is unbeaten. We have cold winters and I own six horses! Rambo is the only blanket brand in my barn. they last!

No experience with the Smartpak fleece.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

No experience with the Smartpak Fleece either, but the Rambo Newmarket is divine. Lovely and thick, wicks nicely and looks fabulous on my dark bay mare (I have the chocolate stripe).

Now I'm lusting after the quarter sheet.

My BM and I both love that the Rambo has two surcingles ... quite a few coolers have only one. It stays in place nicely.

If something ever happened to mare, I'd take that cooler home and use it for myself, haha!
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Go with the Rambo, it's beautiful and warm.
    I was disappointed with Smartpak's cooler, very flimsy and cheap looking.

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    I'm also really tempted by the Rambo Newmarket fleece. Are they worth the extra money?
    Yes. The fleece is thick and soft and lovely.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I second what everyone else said...the Rambo Newmarket fleece is WONDERFUL and worth every cent. I have one for each of my horses, they get used regularly, wash up great and still look like new.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

The Newmarket fleece is just about the best wicking fleece I've ever seen. I think its closest comparison is to an Eskadron rug. Go buy your horse a Newmarket!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    The Newmarket fleece is just about the best wicking fleece I've ever seen. I think its closest comparison is to an Eskadron rug. Go buy your horse a Newmarket!

I think the Eskadron Dralon is prettier, but the Rambo is actually better quality. They are SO NICE. It's a pleasant surprise. I have the quarter sheet too and find it less static-y than other ones.
    ~Veronica

My trainer has the newmarket fleece one for her horse and it is super nice and thick. I can't speak to the Smartpak one. Also, I know you were mainly asking for these two BUT I have a dress sheet from Jack's that is EXCELLENT quality. I've had it for about 10 years now and after a wash it still looks like the day I bought it. It really sounds like this is what you're looking for. It has a surcingle and dees for the leg straps too and you can get it in custom colors. I don't know where to get them online but I do know that our local tack shop can get them and is willing to ship, so PM me if you're interested.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

I can't speak of the SmartPak coolers, but I have one of their fleece quarter sheets. If it is the same material, it is nice but somewhat thin. It does a fine job as a quarter sheet on chilly days, but I would want something warmer if our temperatures got consistently really cold here.

A few of the kids have the Rambo Newmarket quarter sheets and those are much thicker. If I had to do it over again, I would get one of those, and if I was in the market for a fleece sheet I would go Newmarket. The price is higher, I believe, but if that's not an issue then get the Newmarket.

I have both fleece sheets. The Smartpak sheet is soft and attractive, but it's not very thick. The Rambo sheet is more substantial and would be my choice for use as a multipurpose fleece in a cold climate.

Rambo fleece is the best quality I've seen - very thick and doesn't pill. It is very WARM and will last longer than cheaper fleece. Worth the money!
    The surcingles run a bit big on some Rambo items (bigger than Rhino, I believe). I actually had to have the straps on my Rambo stable blanket cut down by a cobbler, but the Rhino turnout was fine out of the box. (My mare is all leg though.)
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

One experience with the thermo manager cooler/liner and I will never do fleece again. I refuse to use people's fleece stuff and throw my own thermo manager over everything instead.

Stylish, effective, and half the barn doesn't stick to it. Sooooo much better.

I have one of each and there really is no comparison. The Rambo newmarket fleece is much thicker and does a great job of wicking. The Smartpak fleece is very soft, but thinner. IMO, they both fit true to size. I also have one of the Rambo throw blankets in my living room and my family fights over it...

meup, the Rambo Newmarket might change your mind about fleece. Usually I am not a big fleece fan but this fabric is different. Low static and nothing sticks to it.
    ~Veronica