The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weaning Weirdness...

So my weanling filly has been using her pasture buddy (a maiden mare) as a pacifier... and the mare loves it. Stands there and lets the weaner "suckle"... she likes it so much that she is showing signs of heat and is now being a hussy.
    What the .

Should I trade out the mare with my gelding... I'm pretty sure he wouldn't tolerate having his sheath messed with and would put a stop to the filly's oral fixation... Or should I just let it be and hope the filly figures out the milk factory doesn't work on her buddy?

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

I bet they work it out but if it's really bugging you....I'd give the mare's udder a good cleaning and then put on something non-irritating but unpalatable to the filly. Maybe a little SWAT, or bag balm would do the trick..

I would do what tuckaway said...Vicks works well, too. Or swap her out with the gelding. At this point she is not "technically" weaned!!
    Last edited by crosscreeksh; Nov. 15, 2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: wrote wrong name
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Oregano Oil -they sell it in health food stores. Tastes really bad..

Great ideas guys... thanks

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Never bet that your gelding won't allow her to suck too. Lol, I have a gelding that we used to use to wean babies with because he was such a nice, easy going kind of guy. He used to stand there and let the weaners suck on his sheath until it got very irritated!! The poor guy was sore and still wouldn't tell the babies "NO!"
    Ha Ha, he now just looks after older ponies who need a quiet buddy.
    Belindale Farm
    Breeding quality ponies for show and pleasure.
    Home of Clay Creek Woodstock - visit him on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley View Post
    Never bet that your gelding won't allow her to suck too. Lol, I have a gelding that we used to use to wean babies with because he was such a nice, easy going kind of guy. He used to stand there and let the weaners suck on his sheath until it got very irritated!! The poor guy was sore and still wouldn't tell the babies "NO!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley View Post

Well... let's just say I'd be really surprised if this grumpy old man would let the filly try more than once... He's not mean, but he isn't the "warm and fuzzy type either