The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USEA Structure?

Can anyone fill me in on the governing structure of the USEA? Are there several committee, an overseeing resident or some equivalent executive position? If so are they voted in or are people hired into the USEA like a bureaucracy?
    I am especially interested in the rule making and changing process. How are the rules altered? What is the process for going from a new rule being proposed to officially added to the rule book?

I know that several new rules have been introduced recently including dangerous riding and mandatory retirements from cross-country. From what I gather these were the result of a safety committee, is that right?

Thanks for any help guys! Oh and if there is somewhere on the USEA website that actually spells this all out that I can read then can someone point me in the right direction for finding it?

Have you found the USEA website?
    You can find out about committees here:
    http://www.useventing.com/aboutus.ph...ion=committees
    The executive board is here:
    http://www.useventing.com/aboutus.php?section=exec_comm
    Staff are here:
    http://www.useventing.com/aboutus.php?id=11
    And history/ general background here:
    http://www.useventing.com/aboutus.php

The USEA does not make rules; the USEF does. USEF Eventing Committee: http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/AboutUs...eeDisplay.aspx

You have several different questions.

The USEA is governed by an elected Board of governors
    http://www.useventing.com/aboutus.php?section=BOG
    The president is Kevin Baumgartner.

Day-to-day operations are run by the staff, led by CEO Jo Whitehouse.

Committees are listed here
    http://www.useventing.com/resources/...e_contacts.pdf

But the RULES are made by the USEF, not the USEA.

The Eventing rules are, in general, proposed by the USEF Eventing Committee, based on input from the USEA. The USEF Eventing Committee is shown here
    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/AboutUs...eeDisplay.aspx

But any USEF member can submit a rule change proposal, though the rule changes proposed by the committee have a better chance of passing.

Rule change proposals are listed on the USEF web site
    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/RuleBoo.../PRCIndex.aspx
    and any USEF member can submit comments.

Each committee notes its approval or diapproval of each rule change proposal, but the rule changes are actuallly voted on by the USEF BoD
    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/AboutUs...eeDisplay.aspx

The BoD USUALLY, but not always, goes along with the discipline committee for discipline specific rule changes.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thank you both this has been helpful.
    Janet- Your responses on the actual rule change process is very beneficial. Do you also happen to know how Eventing committee and the USEF BoD are made up? are they appointed positions? Do they include currently competing members? If they are appointed who appoints them? Is there any position that is voted in and who votes?

Sorry for all the questions guys, just trying to do a comparative essay on the topic! (which is why actual USEA/USEF pages are helpful so I have something to cite)

The rule on dangerous riding has been on the books for quite some time, but has recently been emphasized with officials. I believe the way it is recorded has been changed to make it more obvious.
    Fall of horse has been mandatory retirement for as long as I have been competing.

You are now eliminated for fall of rider on the xc course if the fall is related to a fence. This is new as of last year, I believe.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Mandatory Retirement for first fall of horse became a rule approximately 10 years ago, I think? .... not exactly sure when but it definitely changed since I have been riding the last 20 years. Asterix: How long have you been riding and we may be able to narrow it down?

I support the mandatory retirement for first fall of any horse whole heartedly. First fall of rider = elimination... not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by EventingMaff View Post
    Thank you both this has been helpful.
    Janet- Your responses on the actual rule change process is very beneficial. Do you also happen to know how Eventing committee and the USEF BoD are made up? are they appointed positions?
    Yes, appointed

Do they include currently competing members?
    Yes, I would say that the majority of the members of the USEF Eventing Committee are currently competing.

If they are appointed who appoints them?
    Not sure- probably covered in teh bylaws
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBo.../02-bylaws.pdf

Is there any position that is voted in and who votes?
    On the USEA side, the BoD is voted on by the membership.
    Last edited by Janet; Nov. 18, 2009 at 10:48 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Just to expand a bit on Janet's excellent explanation:

USEF Eventing Committee
    • Twenty percent of the members must be active athletes (the USEF maintains a list of active athletes).
    • Fourteen of the current twenty members competed in a least one event this year (competing is not the same as being an active athlete).
    • Sixty percent of the members are nominated by the USEA (slate of names is put together by the Nominating Committee and approved by the Executive Committee).
    • The remaining are nominated by the President of the USEF.
    • The committee itself may recommend possible candidates to either the President or the USEA.
    • All nominations are approved by the USEF Executive Committee.

USEA BOG
    • Members submit names of possible Governors to the USEA Nominating Committee.
    • From the names submitted, the Nominating Committee puts together a slate and mails proxy ballots to the membership.
    • At the USEA Annual Meeting, a vote by the members present is conducted and the results are added to the proxy ballots received from members not present.
    • There is no requirement that a certain percentage of the BOG must be currently competing members, however thirteen of the current twenty-four members actively competed this year.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

What is definition of "active athlete"?
    Are organizers or judges considered "active athletes".?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

IIRC "active athlete" is defined by USOC , and refers to "International level" competitors.

But I am not sure of the precise definition.
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    What is definition of "active athlete"?
    Are organizers or judges considered "active athletes".?
    Bylaw 401 – Athlete Members and Eligible Athletes
    For purposes of seating athletes on Federation Committees set forth in the Bylaws, athletes must meet one of the definitions set forth as follows:
    1. In order to be an Olympic discipline athlete who is eligible to serve on the
    committees outlined in USEF Bylaws 411, 421, 431, 432, 502, and 503.1, said athlete must be a USEF Senior Active Member and must meet all requirements outlined in USOC Bylaw Section 8.8.
    2. In order to be an athlete who is eligible to serve on the non-FEI Breed/Discipline Committees, as outlined in USEF Bylaws 503.1 and 503.2, said athlete must be a USEF Senior Active Member and have competed at the top of his/her breed or discipline within the preceding ten (10) years.
    3. In order to be an athlete from the FEI disciplines that are not on the program of
    the Olympic Games or the Paralympic Games and be eligible to serve on the committees outlined in USEF Bylaws 411, 421, 431, 432, 502, and 503.1, said athlete must be a USEF Active Senior Member and with the ten (10) years preceding the election or appointment must have represented the United States in a World Championship recognized by the FEI for which a competitive selection process was administered by the Federation or within the two (2) years preceding the election or appointment has demonstrated that he/she is actively engaged in athletic competition by finishing in the top half of the Federation- sanctioned National Championship or team selection competition for the World Championship recognized by the FEI.
    4. In order to be a Paralympic discipline athlete and be eligible to serve on
    committees outlined in USEF Bylaws 411, 421,431, 432, 502, and 503.1, said athlete must be a USEF Senior Active Member and within the ten (10) years preceding the election or appointment has represented the United States in the Paralympic Games or a World Championship in events on the Paralympic Games program.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Canterlope your breakdown of committee make-up is very useful thank you. Any chance you know where it is all stated in USEF rules? Is it also in the by laws?

According to Jo Whitehouse, the person my lawyer spoke to at the USEA, "all the USEA is is a magazine subscription".

Default USEA Structure

I have known Jo Whitehouse, CEO of USEA, for almost twenty years, eight of which I have been a member of the Board of Governors and an officer of the Association. It is highly unlikely that Jo made that statement, which would make your attorney a what? An attorney.
    I smell troll.

Malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by redears View Post
    According to Jo Whitehouse, the person my lawyer spoke to at the USEA, "all the USEA is is a magazine subscription".
    That sounds highly unlikely.

What did you lawyer ASK, and why was he asking?

There IS a "Subscribing Membership", for which the primary benefit is the magazine subscruption.. But even then you get to vote, and you get access to the "members only" sections of the web site.
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by EventingMaff View Post
    Canterlope your breakdown of committee make-up is very useful thank you. Any chance you know where it is all stated in USEF rules? Is it also in the by laws?
    Yes, the USEF information is found in Parts IV and V of the USEF Bylaws. If you purchase the complete USEF rule book, the Bylaws are included. They are also posted with the rule book on the USEF website. The USEA information is found throughout the USEA Bylaws which are not included with the rule book, but are posted on the Forms and Documents page of the USEA website.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by msghook View Post
    It is highly unlikely that Jo made that statement, which would make your attorney a what? An attorney.
    I smell troll.
    Malcolm
    Now Malcolm, don't be calling names. Those fancy high-falutin' at-turn-eeys can be all sorts of trouble...

Janet, she asked about the thing we were discussing in email a couple weeks ago.

msg, not trolling, just frustrated. I have been threatened physically by staff of my GMO, which are affiliates of the USEA and when I ask for things to get done, I don't get responses or called back, when I get an attorney involved, I get told all the USEA is is a magazine subscription. If that's the case, I'll stick with H&SH from now on.