The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Vet confirms...(and why I'm throwing out all my MTG)

...that I am crazy had him out to check my jumper because he has just seemed a little funny behind lately and is late behind on lead changes. Verdict? Horse is perfect, I need to learn to ride better Fine, that's what I wanted to hear! Get on him right after and wouldn't you know it, he got 4 perfect changes in a row!!!!!! He never does that. Maybe having the vet flex his back legs was a nice stretch for him and worked loose any kinks?? Vet laughed so hard at me, Silko must've heard us talking bad about him and decided to get down to business. We are starting him on Adequan more as a preventative though since we're moving up to 4ft and hopefully beyond.

Additionally, vet said never to use MTG on him again since he swelled up something awful when I used it to treat his rain rot. We're talking his whole leg was the circumference of his knee massive. I know rain rot can make them swell up a bit but vet and I both think we will avoid that from now on. Shame since I have such good results with it on other horses. Anyone had this happen to them

Not with MTG, but I have had one product or another cause one horse or another to swell up. Usually the horse has been totally sound and work helped reduce swelling.

IMHO, those are the best vet calls. "Shut up and ride!"

Both of mine reacted to it, but not as bad as yours.Kind of like a mild burn and made their skin flake off.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Gry2Yng View Post
    Not with MTG, but I have had one product or another cause one horse or another to swell up. Usually the horse has been totally sound and work helped reduce swelling.

IMHO, those are the best vet calls. "Shut up and ride!"
    yes it was definitely something good to hear. Nearly every thread about behavioral issues someone says, well have the vet look at him you dum-dum. So I really wanted to make sure that his head tossing, laziness, kicking, and lack of changes was solely due to my bad riding and homeboy wasn't hurting. Of course he didn't throw his head when jogged, was quite fresh, didn't kick the vet, and performed flawless changes. I don't mind spending $70 to sleep well tonight and move up to 4ft with more confidence in my horse

Kcmel, I've seen the reaction you're talking about on a couple as well and am losing faith in the product altogether. His swelling is almost gone, but that was in no way related to why the vet was called in the first place, just an added bonus

I put MTG on my horse's tail once, he swished his tail back and forth, and the next morning had hives all over his back end, just in the tail-swish pattern. So, I figured he was allergic to MTG and got rid of it.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I don't like to use it simply because it stinks!

Arablover ~ I second that!!
    ~Darci~
    "We have an obligation. We are their keepers." ~Roy Jackson

I used it on my mare's tail and with good success until I happened to put it on the underside of the tail.

The next day the skin between her back legs was blistering and peeling.

Washed her good and threw the MTG in the garbage.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

That's why I spot test any new product (and have a bunch I have tossed or given away), because my horses seem to be sensitive to some products that other folks swear by.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I used MTG on my super sensitive horse with no problems (after testing it on him as I'm used to him reacting to everything...). Given that, I thought I'd use it on my other horse and didn't spot test it -- big mistake. I had put it on his crest/mane -- it swelled up with big welts all over and he was miserable.

What a great vet appt, though, if that was the only bad thing that came of it ("toss the MTG")-- congrats!

My mare is very sensitive to MTG products too.

My horse stocked up from MTG- not stove pipe, but enough that I don't use it.

I've found that krudbuster works pretty well overtime. I started my horse on Omega Horseshine this summer, and scratches and rot seem to be down.

And yeah- I've had that happen too- OMG, horse is cripple and won't swap to the right lead... except for when I actually ride correctly and don't lean, butt swish and pick up the inside rein thus making the swap impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipChange View Post
    Additionally, vet said never to use MTG on him again since he swelled up something awful when I used it to treat his rain rot. We're talking his whole leg was the circumference of his knee massive. I know rain rot can make them swell up a bit but vet and I both think we will avoid that from now on. Shame since I have such good results with it on other horses. Anyone had this happen to them
    Your horse is allergic to sulfa and sulfonamides. It's not because it's MTG brand that is doing this - it's the sulfur compound within MTG that impacts your particular horse. The product is still fine for other horses.

Sulfur is the primary ingredient in a lot of antibiotics which are extremely effective in fungal and bacterial infections. This is why MTG is superb on rain rot, sweet itch, heel rot, most cases of scratches, and basic skin infections, blah, blah.

Your horse, quite simply, is allergic to sulfa. That being said, he now cannot have ANY antibiotic containing sulfa from here on out. For the rest of his life.

On a similar note, anyone allergic to sulfa drugs, should always wear gloves when handling this product because you could react to it.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    Your horse is allergic to sulfa and sulfonamides. It's not because it's MTG brand that is doing this - it's the sulfur compound within MTG that impacts your particular horse. The product is still fine for other horses.

Sulfur is the primary ingredient in a lot of antibiotics which are extremely effective in fungal and bacterial infections. This is why MTG is superb on rain rot, sweet itch, heel rot, most cases of scratches, and basic skin infections, blah, blah.

Your horse, quite simply, is allergic to sulfa. That being said, he now cannot have ANY antibiotic containing sulfa from here on out. For the rest of his life.

On a similar note, anyone allergic to sulfa drugs, should always wear gloves when handling this product because you could react to it.
    Good to know, thanks rodawn. I did send an email to the the manufacturer and they said a small number of horses are sensitive to it but they would be happy to refund my purchase.

Good to know! I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and the one time I used it I wore gloves simply because I didn't want that smell on my hands! Luckily I hated it so much I gave it away, but it's good information to store away!
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Mine reacted really badly to Krudbuster in the summer. I'm guessing it has a similar ingredient to the MTG - like sulfur?

Don't be hating on MTG!

It smells like the lobby of Satan's hotel, so you are warned that your are in a dangerous place.

If you discover via MTG on the outside that your horse is allergic to sulfer-containing things on the inside, then MTG did you a service.

My horse is a skin sissy and has told me to use MTG sparingly and infrequently. He appreciates that it stops itchy tail in it's tracks. But he'll also recommend that I use baby oil after an initial application of MTG if I want to keep putting greasy crap on his tail to prevent rubbing.

Which is worse-- an itchy tail or some hair scalded off the sides of his buns from where his MTG-ed tail touches it while swishing at flies?

He doesn't know. He'll get back to you. He says the whole thing would be taken care of if I'd just hire a Nubian slave child to stand there and fan all flies off him, say 18 hours a day.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post

Well, mine had a reaction to MTG, but does fine on sulfa antibiotics, both topical and oral. Go figure.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Here is a great product that I found that my ultra-skin-sensitive horses have no problems with, and it clears up the skin issues (rain rot, sweet itch, etc.) so fast, that you don't need much of it at all.

http://www.equiderma.com/itching.html

I highly recommend it. My horses break out in hives if I use anything with tea tree oils, and a few other products, but this one just plain old works.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Well, mine had a reaction to MTG, but does fine on sulfa antibiotics, both topical and oral. Go figure.
    My gelding did this as well. He had a massive reaction to MTG - swelling, heat, pain, etc. - but has been treated several times with SMZs and other sulfur-based topical products with no complications. There must be some other ingredient in MTG that is irritating to sensitive horses. I now use Microtek almost exclusively for skin issues; I've never had any horse react to it, and it seems to do a better job than MTG anyways.