The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideal bedding?

After spending just about my entire horse-owning life at a wonderful boarding barn, I am moving my horse to another facility in January. Love my current barn, but the new barn is 45 minutes closer and right next to my lesson barn, so I can hack over for lessons.

New barn grows their own hay, oats, as well as straw for bedding. Most horses are bedding on their straw. I can get something else for bedding if requested.

My horse has been on shavings most of the time, pellets for a little while. During winter, when he's in a little longer, he tends to grind up his bedding into a disgusting hash--I have to buy him an extra bag a week. He's never been bedded on straw.

He eats like a machine. Will eat anything in front of him, from hay to scarecrows to the ribbons I stupidly hung outside his stall to his inedible Himalayan salt block to the decorative wooden statue to the fake pine Christmas tree to the... well, you get the picture. I'd like to try straw bedding because I think it might be less easy to demolish than shavings, but I'm worried he will literally eat all of it in one night, and I don't know what the possible ill effects might be.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by SarahandSam; Nov. 12, 2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Misplaced modifier! Tsk on me!

I've found straw to be a nightmare. It gets even messier than the shavings and you can't pick through it as well as shavings.

Have you tried larger chipped bedding that he can't grind up as easily?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

He's been on wood chips before, but I didn't like that... it seemed too hard and pointy. ):

A friend of mine uses a type of cardboard bedding for her broodmares. It comes in bales like shavings and is small cut up squares of cardboard. I love it!! It is very absorbent, but not dusty like wood shavings so it is very nice for the newborn foals. I wish I had known about it when I had my gelding who had COPD because any type of anything that had dust would cause him to start coughing.
    ~Darci~
    "We have an obligation. We are their keepers." ~Roy Jackson

Hey, where does your friend get the cardboard? I have a 29 year old heavie pony that I would love to get some different bedding for.

I believe she gets it at the feed store in Camden. I will ask her tomorrow and let ya know
    ~Darci~

I have my two boys on Cob bedding. The TSC here in NE sells it in 40 pound bags. My normally piggie horse that trashes a stall in 2 days is on a week and a half of 4 bags total.

The BO is having a hrad time finding shavings. Nobodys doing anything with wood these days. I hear theres a recesion going on.

Anyway, how does cob bedding do? Pros? Cons?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I recently researched an article on this topic and there are some very safe, creative bedding materials available depending on your region. Regarding the straw bedding, I would just make sure it's not oat straw which can cause a potential founder if too much is ingested.

I am on week two of the cob bedding and am VERY impressed! My one gelding who is a super stall horse, his looks almost like I put it in a day or so ago. The other horse that trashes his stall, I have had to add 1 bag in 2 weeks! I am definatly converted after this. Boogie would trash his stall in 2 days with shavings and the pelleted bedding so bad we had to strip every other day.

It is a little harder than I like at frirst but fluffs up nicely after 48 hours or so. Or you can add water to it. I didn't on mine...

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Here is a site with a few other alternatives:

http://www.drystall.com/

I have not used them, but I did see them at an equine event, and thought it was an interesting concept.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    Hey, where does your friend get the cardboard? I have a 29 year old heavie pony that I would love to get some different bedding for.
    She got the bedding from East Coast Hay in Camden
    ~Darci~

Thanks, all!

Where do you get cob bedding? I'm particularly curious about that... would they have it at TSC?