The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Toyota Tundra...longevity/towing?

I currently drive a 1994 Toyota Corolla with no mechanical problems whatsoever...I love Toyotas because they just are so well made and last forever. When my little car goes, I am thinking about getting a truck so I can take my pony on outings with me ;-). I'm thinking about getting a Toyota Tundra (used...2003 maybe) V8. Does anyone have any opinions/experiences with this truck? Will it last forever like my little Corolla? Thanks!

My 2001 V8 has more than 130k miles on it and has been used every year of its life for occasional towing of either an aluminum 2-horse bumper pull or (gasp) a 20-foot steel gooseneck stock trailer. I don't tow up or down mountains...just the Mid-Atlantic flatlands.

It's really not enough truck for the stock trailer, but it keeps chugging along and it's paid for. Fully loaded, it's just under the max towing capacity listed in the truck's manual. I did have 2 extra leaf springs put in each side on the rear to help it manage the gooseneck weight, and I make sure I have a fully functional break controller. Mechanically, it's never needed anything but normal maintenance and a couple of service-bulletin repairs.

If this truck ever dies, I oughta get a 1-ton, but I'll hate giving up Toyota reliability.

If you have a look, there should be a thread I started a while ago about the Tundra. People had lots of helpful feedback about them.

We are still looking for one but new is out of our price range and the used ones are really scarce.

My husband and I are Tundra fans. He got the first one in 2005, before I had a horse or a horse trailer. I wasn't even riding at the time. For his purposes (towing classic cars -- small lightweight British ones -- on an open trailer) the 2WD V8 with towing package was more than he needed. He tends to like to over-spec his tow vehicles.

Three years later, we have a horse (850 lb. Morgan), and a horse trailer (Hawk 2H-BP with dressing room), and occasionally another horse (usually a big 1200+ pound WB). The Tundra handled this all, but uphills were slow, and so many horse events are muddy that 4WD really became necessary. We had some electrical/alternator issues caused by a used trailer with, um, seriously messed up wiring, but other than that it was reliable.

So he just bought a 2010 5.7 liter, 4WD with tow package. It is BIG (something like a Ford F250) and tows like a dream. He traded in the old truck for this one and got the new one for something under 18K. It was right after Cash for Clunkers ended, and the dealership was desperate for sales. The most interesting part of the negotiations was when the dealer named their final price, my husband said OK, and then said that they had to include a step bar for the price as I am 5'1" and getting into that darn truck was like climbing a big boulder.

So far so good, and I would say we are loyal Tundra customers.

I love mine. I bought a 2008 new and recently traded it for a 2010. The '10 tows better, they put a stiffer suspension in and it has a back-up camera that is fantastic for hooking up the bumperpull.

I've always been a Toyota fan and this Tundra has turned me into a super-fan.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Default Happy 2003 Tundra Owner

Last December my husband and I bought a 2003 Tundra, excess cab, 4x4, V8 and we love it! It handles very well and tows the Brenderup with ease. We have just added Supersprings, not so much for the horse trailer but we got a truck camper so that I can use it at shows, etc. I would highly recommend the Tundra. And yes, there was a thread that I followed prior to getting ours.

I have a 2008 4WD 5.7L and I lof it! Rides great, tows two big warmbloods and a 2-horse Featherlite with no problems. Big trucks hurtle by and we don't even feel the backwash. My problem is staying within the speed limit, it's so smooth. Have the break controller hooked up and towing package too.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

I have a Hilux, which is its baby sister, and love it. Tows well, (touch wood!) has never had a problem, and it's double cab, it's very practical too.

I'm a huge Toyota fan though- they just keep going!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Huge fan of the Tundra. I have a 2009 long bed. A little lighter in the towing capacity- fine for 1 little horse to and fro in our 4 horse. For anything larger- have to use our Dodge 3500. The Tundra rides like a car and is so much more comfortable for loooong trips! Wish they would come out with a diesel with big tow capacity...would buy in a heartbeat!

I found a very good deal on a Tundra and am seriously thinking about buying it...only problem is that it does not have a tow package. Is it possible to add a tow package? If so...does anyone know a ballpark figure of how much it would cost to have one installed?

The newer Tundras are beefier than the older ones -- be sure you check the rated towing capacity for your model relative to what you want to pull.