The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WWYD horse I sold for sale on craigslist now update #26

So I was looking through my local craigslist this morning and saw an ad for a horse I sold several years ago. She was a young horse not really broke yet that I sold to a girl I was working with at a stable. Shortly after selling the horse the girl quit and I never heard from her again and I had no contact info for her. She did have mine and I told her if something happened and she didn't want the horse to call me up. Well that never happened and now it seems to be advertised by different people. WWYD there were pictures of her and I am 100% sure it is her. I feel bad they have her listed for a couple hundred dollars and am concerned about where she'll end up. I however already have two horses and am maxed out. I can't afford another. I guess I'll just hope for the best. Anyone need a cute hony mare? She's very cute.
    Last edited by ablibby; May. 7, 2010 at 11:36 AM.

Maybe you can post the link to her CL listing and change the title of this so people don't think it's an 'old' horse.

It's your old horse, but not an 'old' horse, right? People might be more interested in a honey of a Hony. And more likely to contact the sellers. You'll probably get a better pool of applicants if you post it here.

Might change part of the title of the thread to reflect the state (NY, right?) is in.

Good luck. I think you can help your horse by more effectively describing her in the title of this thread, and posting that link.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdhaurmsmom View Post
    Maybe you can post the link to her CL listing and change the title of this so people don't think it's an 'old' horse.
    It will get removed pretty quickly by the mods if the OP posts a link.

I would buy her back and find a pasture to keep her in until I decided what to do with her. Especially if its only for a couple hundred bucks because that right there tells me no happy ending is in sight.

This is my worst nightmare. Sell a horse to what I think is a forever home only to find he/she is being tossed around or found starving in a pasture somewhere. Everytime I think no sane person needs 3 horses I read one of these stories and go out and kiss each of their noses and promise I will do my best to keep each of them safe.

When I sold this horse I was told this was the girls dream horse and she would have her forever ( she owned her own farm) I wish I could buy her back I just can't afford another, my hours have been cute back at work and I am stretched with two already. I guess I will have to pray for the best

When I sold this horse I was told this was the girls dream horse and she would have her forever
    And that very well could have been true at that time. But maybe she became unemployed. Maybe she couldn't keep up with the mortgage on her farm. Maybe she realized one day she didn't love horses as much as she thought. Maybe someone offered her more for the mare than she paid originally. Who knows?

You've really only got two options here (three, maybe).

1. Let it go, you've already said you can't afford another horse.
    2. Buy her and try to find a place for her (as Saidapal suggested)
    3. Send her ad around to people you think might be looking for a good hony and hope one of them buys her.

I feel bad for you, I do (I feel worse for the horse).. but no one can criticize her for selling the horse when you yourself are saying that you couldn't afford another horse either.

Would you have felt better if she had called you and asked you to take the horse back and you'd have to say no?

It might be her pride, no horse lover wants to admit that they can't afford to care for their animal and she might be looking out of the horse's best interest by giving it up.

Is craigslist the best place to do that? IMO no, esp since a DreamHorse Photo ad is only $20!

Maybe you could contact them and offer help placing her in a home.

I sold a pony to a girl who was supposed to be very horse crazy and love the horse *forever*.

Then the girl aged....and there went that.

I did have a first right of refusal clause, but could not afford to buy the horse back at the time. I commend the owners (her parents) for offering her back to me, but even without that - once the horse is out of my hands, that's it.

I was lucky that the owners were not in a hurry so when the right home came around, she went off, with two other horses from the same farm, to a nice trail riding family.

Once the horse is out of your hands, that's it. If you cannot afford to buy it back, that's it - you do not know the other person's situation. She also may have lost your phone number - another good reason for a sales contract...bigger piece of paper to lose!

It's a hard reality that horses have to go through so many owners. If you can't afford to buy her back yourself just do your best to let other people know that you know of a horse for sale. Maybe the girl was embarrassed to admit to you that the horse didn't work out or she lost your contact information. I would hate to run into any ads for horses that I've sold. I just like to think they are all happy and well fed or have moved on to the big pasture in the sky. ~Hugs~

This happened to me. I found my older horse advertised on craigslist. I was heartsick. The owner let me over to see him and he was not in good shape. I took him back.

In your case, do you think that you could drive over and check on your horse just to see how she is doing, or help the owner in some way. Maybe the owner could use some help in finding a new home for her horse. I understand being maxed out though. Just trying to help here and think of ideas, but would this horse or are any of your other horses able to be part leased to help with expenses? Yikes, I've been there--its hard.

This happened to me last year- my very first horse whom I got when I was 12 and sold again when I was 19 was on CL (at age 28). At first I was furious that my old guy was being given away (for free) on CL, but when I spoke the the lady who had him, I felt better about it. I had sold him to her soon-to-be stepdaughter (who was riding with my trainer at the time and was pretty young). Well, daughter grew up, lost interest in horses. Stepmom was stuck taking care of 5 horses (all Stepdaughter's by then) that she didn't know anything about. She also told me that she was having a hard time forcing her stepdaughter to take care of the horses because spoiled brat would pull the "you're not my mom!" card. Plus, Stepmom, not being a "horseperson" honestly had no idea about kill buyers or horse slaughter, which is why she listed him for free. She loved my horse to pieces but knew he needed somewhere better to live. She cried when I went to pick him up and made me promise to send her many many updates and photos.

Since then we've exchanged emails quite a bit, and I don't hold her decision to sell the horses against her at all. And honestly, even if I couldn't have taken him back, I absolutely believe that she probably would have been delighted to let me help her place him in another home.

Sometimes circumstances just happen, and people need to downsize on their horses. I personally would give the current seller the benefit of the doubt first and at least introduce yourself and see if there is anything you can do to assist in placing the horse. If it looks like the horse is going nowhere good, then yes, I would at least try to find a field to toss her out in until you can figure out what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    2. Buy her and try to find a place for her (as Saidapal suggested)
    Yes. Rescuing an animal is NOT a lifetime commitment; you know this horse and it's nice, and I bet you've got a WHOLE LOT better resources for rehoming than the sellers do. And, as much TROUBLE as the 'sellers' seem to be having, I bet hony honey is now a giveaway.

I would for sure contact the seller and take it from there! See what shape the horse is in, what the circumstances are. Help them if you can - I know you are stretched, but what if they are also stretched to the max - but if you help eachother.....it may give the horse more time to find a suitable home!

Why don't you contact the current owners and offer to help them find the hony a new home?

It's not easy in this economy, but you're probably more experienced than she and more likely to help your hony find a good home.

I did this a couple of years ago. Here's my experience along with some recommendations. This hony DID find a great home with a small riding school. She's much loved and thriving there.

Added: If you know who owned your hony before you did, that would be a good place to start. When I was looking for a home for "Missy" I called everyone who owned her back to her breeder hoping that someone would have the space to take her in. None of them did, but one of them did donate some money toward her care until we found her a home.

When you have to give up your horse.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Bogie; Nov. 13, 2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Added a suggestion.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I would definittely contact the seller. If you can go see the horse and talk to the seller - great. If not, try explaining how you're not in a position to take the horse at this time, but that you'd like them to pass along your contact information to whoever ends up with the horse. As you know, there's no guarantee you'll ever be contacted, but it's better than nothing...
    Y'all ain't right!

As others have said, give the seller a call. It can't hurt.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did email the sellers thru CL and am awaiting a reply. I am pretty sure this horse is with someone else than who I sold her to. I would contact the person I bought her from ( her breeder) but she passed away last year. My other thought was contacting the person who owns the stallion this filly is by. Maybe she would want her - to insure her stallions offspring are okay? I have also started to put the word out to my friends. Hopefully I'll find someone interested.

I am sorry, peoples circumstances change, it is an unfortunate thing in life. I hope it turns out okay. I sold a mare a few years back that I have lost touch with and to this day I worry about her. I don't think that I could afford to get her back also, so ...

I was always told when you sell a horse do not look back, hope you made the right decision for your horse but don't look back.

OP if you are stretched thin with your two horses you cannot afford another....

I looked back ONCE... and come to find out my old horse was blind at a sanctuary with an adopt proce of $300. all I was looking for was a cat to give a home to on petfinder.com I really wanted to get him and bring him home but like you, I cannot do that.

Let the horse go. We all assume they are going to end up in bad homes when that is not always the case!

This happened to me about 2 months ago... in fact there is a thread on it....

Horse I knew and loved came up on craigslist, not long after its owner had re-homed it to what had promised to be a forever retirement home.

I personally wanted to freak out on the people getting rid of him, but figured it was more productive to be nice and try and assist them place the horse-- for the good of the horse. The original owner was not able to take the horse back so I networked hard and found the horse a home with a friend within a week.

I've gotten several updates and pictures and all is well, thank goodness.

Even if you can't take the horse yourself, send the ad to everyone you know, tell your friends, vet, farrier, etc. Who knows, she may well be just what someone is looking for...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.