The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmets/'Skull Caps'

I'm sure there have been posts on this before, but I can't get the search to work...

Why do so many eventers use the 'skull cap' style rather than the ones with the brim?

So they can put a traditional eventing cover on them, and some prefer not to have a brim that could possibly contribute to a forward motion neck injury when the brim hits the ground, and the neck keeps going forward.

It's just traditional to wear a brimless cap and add a cover with a flexible brim.
    What would you try if you knew you would not fail?

don't forget the brim going forward and breaking the nose...actually in england you can't wear a helmet with a brim on x-country, and its a lot of fun to dress up your helmet with your own colors...tradition is another reason too

So you don't break your nose on it. Good rule too, been there, done that, not XC.

Three Dayer:

I believe your statement about riding with helmets with brims on xc in england being illegal is incorrect.

I competed in england all summer in a Charles Owen GR8 with no problem. they were actually quite popular out on xc.

huh that is interesting, one of my freinds was competing in england and was wearing her GPA and was told by her trainer that the helmet was not allowed on x-c...so she had to go and buy a new skull cap...maybe she should have read the rules herself...oh well...

Also, the brim can get caught on a low branch and snap wearer's neck backwards. The lower the profile the better (helmets and clothing) whilst running and jumping.

Not to mention skull caps are considerably cheaper! Eventers have all the fun. I ride h/j now but am seriously considering a skull cap for a schooling helmet, if I don't get laughed out of the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhall View Post
    Three Dayer:

I believe your statement about riding with helmets with brims on xc in england being illegal is incorrect.

I competed in england all summer in a Charles Owen GR8 with no problem. they were actually quite popular out on xc.
    Were you competing unaffiliated or in British Eventing events?

I have never heard of breaking your nose on the brim of your helmet, really if that where to happen your helmet would be too big or small for your head in the first place...Making it unsafe to begin with. Another attribute the skull cap has is that the brim is not in your line of vision at all.

The skull caps fit so well! Plus they come down lower over the back of your head. I dunno, I just feel safer in mine. *shrug* Now that I have one, I'll probably never go back to anything else. I use my skull cap for everyday schooling and XC. I have a JR8 for Dressage and SJ and almost feel a bit naked with it.

Recognized events

Thanks for all the responses!

What about the helmet covers that go on the skull caps- they always look like they'd come off really easily in a strong wind when you're riding. Is that ever a problem?

Most skullcaps have a rough, grippy surface that holds on to stuff pretty well, plus you can use one of those big, thick rubber bands for an extra layer of protection from the thing coming off. But mine (from Sipps Silks - made to order, not just colors but for helmet style/size as well) never budged, even without the rubber band.
    Unfortunately China is very hard to change ... Unless an enormous whip beats her on the back, it will never change. Such a whip is bound to come, I think. Lu Xun