The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's the *best* hoof pick?

I did a search for this and was suprised that I didn't find it...
    We have that thick clay mud around here that turns into concrete upon drying. We've had a ton of rain this fall, and I'm just about exhausted by the time I finish picking out hooves with my plain 'ol pick. Has anyone found a great pick for tackling concrete-mud?? At this point, price is not a deal-breaker

A can of Pam and a plain ole' .79 cent single piece pick

FYI-use the Pam prior to turnout

The best hoof pick for concrete is this one: http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=75337

I have two and adore them. I have drafties and trying to get hard-pack clay out of 6 3/4" wide hooves ain't easy sometimes. That hoof pick is the only thing tough enough for the job.

Just be sure to hide it.... they tend to sprout feet once others see it
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I love my Oster hoof pick:
    http://www.horse.com/Oster-Hoof-Pick-BJJ05.html

But I do want to try one of these some day:

http://www.ultimatehoofpick.com/

I've got the one ChocoMare posted, and while I love the tip for digging, I find the handle uncomfortable. (But I'm somebody that likes to grip the pick close to the tip so YMMV.)

I have the Ultimate Hoof Pick and the Oster pick. The UHP is very comfortable, very weighty in the hand, and very sharp. You need to be very careful with it.

I had the same concrete-mud problems as you, sddlbrdgrl, earlier this year and the UHP was the only thing that helped (though once I had to call the farrier in for assistance - he used a screwdriver and a hammer - it was that bad).

Almost bought the one chocomare suggested on a whim on Saturday from a local tack shop. The head is very similar to the UHP.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    The best hoof pick for concrete is this one: http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=75337

I have two and adore them. I have drafties and trying to get hard-pack clay out of 6 3/4" wide hooves ain't easy sometimes. That hoof pick is the only thing tough enough for the job.

Just be sure to hide it.... they tend to sprout feet once others see it

I have this one, too, and I LOVE it. Best hoof pick I have ever tried, hands down.

I too have clay. It is a bear to pick out of feet - and the hoof picks all bend because the clay is packed in so hard. I have the Oster hoof pick and it bent while picking feet. I've often resorted to using a screwdriver (carefully of course) because the hoofpicks just don't do the job.

I haven't seen the UHP or the one posted by Chocomare. I'll have to look for one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy gray horse View Post
    .... I'll have to look for one of those.
    I've yet to see them in stores. Big Dee's was it.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Thanks! Chocomare I saw that exact hoof pick at the Dover store a couple of months ago...I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy it, but couldn't see how it was worth $6 totally worth it in hindsight!

Hey! Chick's Saddlery has them for $4.50! http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/0003/UHP913

Thumbs up This one truly is the ULTIMATE!!

I laughed when I first saw an ad for this one. 18 bucks for a freakin' hoofpick!?! No way! But, after last winter, when I broke FIVE picks of various shapes and designs in a single icy day, I took the plunge. And you know what, it's one of the best twenty dollar horse purchases ever!

I love the way it fits in my hand. It's bright colored, so it's easy to find, even in tall grass at an event or in deep stall bedding. The pick end is sharp (be careful!) and perfect for digging out stubborn rocks, ice and cement-like clay. And best of all, it's tough! Mine has been dropped, stepped on, used as a screwdriver and prybar around the barn, and of course, handled a dozens of ice and clay-packed feet daily for nearly a year without fail. And if it ever does, (which I doubt) it has a no-questions asked guarantee.

I was skeptical at first, but seriously, you can't beat this one. And as long as you don't loose it (and can keep your jealous friends from stealing it!), it will last forever! Enjoy!
    --Becky & the gang

"Anyone can slay a dragon, he told me, but try waking up every morning & loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero." from storypeople.com

Wise Choice in Lexington has them, but that does not do anyone out of the area any good!

$4.50 is a good deal-- I think I paid $7 or $8 for mine!

Yep, the Ultimate Hoof Pick (the Jackhammer). I knew I'd made a good choice when I saw one on my farrier's truck!

Quote Originally Posted by bewarethechestnutmare View Post

I laughed when I first saw an ad for this one. 18 bucks for a freakin' hoofpick!?!
    They are only $14.95 in my area. Worth every penny. I've bought them for all my friends, too. Great stocking stuffers.

Well, in my white-trash world, what I used for many years to get that cemented adobe clay out my horse's feet when I lived in an area with adobe mud was a plain old screwdriver to get the big chunks out (it flips them out pretty easily), and then a plain old everyday, normal, NOT $18 hoofpick to finish the foot.

I got the Ultimate Hoof Pick as a gift and it is by far the best hoof pick I've ever used. Yes it seems expensive for a hoof pick, but nothing gets packed ice out of my horse's feet faster. .

My farrier admired my hoof pick every time she came out, so I ended up getting her one as a gift. I also got them for several of my friends. They are a great barn gift!

Yeah!!! I've just completed my Xmas shopping in one easy step - everyone gets the ultimate hoof pick.
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

sddlbrdgrl in gray

I did a search for this and was suprised that I didn't find it...
    We have that thick clay mud around here that turns into concrete upon drying. We've had a ton of rain this fall, and I'm just about exhausted by the time I finish picking out hooves with my plain 'ol pick. Has anyone found a great pick for tackling concrete-mud?? At this point, price is not a deal-breaker

Weapons grade hoofpick, CNC cut from 1/4" A-36 steel plate, guaranteed not to bend or break. Developed for removing hardened Texas black clay gumbo from hooves.

http://www.katyforge.com/hoofpick02.jpg
    Tom Stovall, CJF
    No me preguntes cualquier preguntas, yo te diré no mentiras.

Plain ole screwdriver. It lets you put the tip right beside the wide end of the frog on each side of the frog and flip the packed mud out. Do each side of the frog, then go round the inside rim of the shoe if shod. I like the leverage of a screwdriver much better than a hoofpick.