The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you sharpen your own clipper blades?

I have several sets of clipper blades ready to send in to be sharpened. For years I've used Oster Direct, and I've always been happy. The used to have a 'bulk rate'. For the last few years their prices have been steadily rising and I'd like to either sharpen them myself or find someplace that doesn't charge $5+ a set plus shipping and almost 10% tax (WTF, I didn't think you were supposed to charge tax on services - that's a new one this year). Maybe this is the going rate now - I don't know. It just seems like they've gone up a lot lately.

So, do you do your own sharpening? What do you use? How expensive was your sharpener? Just how easy is it to use?

Also, if you have a great place to send blades, I'd love to know about it. So far, I haven't found anyone here who wants to mess with clipper blades (mostly Clipmaster's).
    Y'all ain't right!

My father-in-law up in Murrayville, GA does sharpening.....done it for years. Everything from chainsaw chains, to tablesaw blades to stump grinders.

Lemme check with Mr. C'Mare to see if Pop handles clippper blades. If so, I'll PM you his info. I know he'll do a VERY VERY good job and will probably be cheaper than Oster direct
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Pls PM me, too!

nope I don't; no way i'd trust myself. I send them to Gil's: http://www.gilssharpshop.com/
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Thanks for the gil's link. When compared to gil's, it looks like Oster Direct isn't out of line on the price of their sharpening...

ChocoMare, if your FIL will do clipper blades and is in the same price range, I'll gladly send them his way!
    Y'all ain't right!

I've got an e-mail in to him right now
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Pop is working up the pricing now

Sweet! I have 5-6 sets right now...
    Y'all ain't right!

Sorry Suzanne.

Alas, Pop doesn't have the machine to do clipper blades. They'd have to be done by hand and he cannot match either Oster's or Gil's prices. He actually says "Send 'em to that Gil gentleman."

I'm too intimidated by the list of things one can do WRONG when doing it oneself.

I use EssentialSharpening.com, fair prices, free shipping one way, and they're pretty fast.
    Click here before you buy.

I have one of those sharpening kits from Dover. Figured if I bungled it, what would be the worst thing? Dull blades, which is what I started out with.

I don't think I do as good a job as a pro, but I usually get a couple more clips out of them.

The kit was $50 and my only complaint is that it's messy (oily) and a little tedious.

In two words: Hell No!

Here's where I send mine:
    http://www.premier1supplies.com/c/cl..._and_shearers/

Super cheap, super quick, great customer service and the blades come back in a nifty little tin (think Altoid tin)
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I have a Clipper Sharp "stone" made by Nordic National Group
    which I found at a tack swap a couple years back. Hand
    sharpening using this is tedious but does a pretty good job.
    Only problem I have is that the required Compound is nearly
    gone, the manufacturer seems to be out of business and I
    don't know what to buy to replace the Compound. Anybody
    know what to buy to replace the depleted Compound?
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I sharpen mine at home - been using the same blades for years.

I use a kit I bought on-line - has a "stone" that sharpens on one side and hones on the other.

ETA - I think I may have the same kit as Robin. Robin - the compound can be purchased at any Lowe's or Home Depot or hardware store.

JSwan, do you have a link to the kind you have?

Are your guys' blades really expensive or something? By the time I pay for shipping there and back, and pay for the sharpening itself, it isn't much cheaper than just buying new blades...
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Yeah, I save $ I used to get 4-5 sets sharpened for about the same $ as a new set of Clipmaster blades. If you figure $5.50 to sharpen and $7 to ship I can still have about 3 sets sharpened for the cost of one new set. The only places to buy clipper blades locally down here are TSC and the super-expensive feed store.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    Yeah, I save $ I used to get 4-5 sets sharpened for about the same $ as a new set of Clipmaster blades. If you figure $5.50 to sharpen and $7 to ship I can still have about 3 sets sharpened for the cost of one new set. The only places to buy clipper blades locally down here are TSC and the super-expensive feed store.
    Oh alright, that makes sense with multiple blades being sharpened. I don't go through blades quickly at ALL, one blade a year for the wide body clipping blades and maybe one blade every year and a half for the smaller, bridle path and muzzle ones.

If I had to send in 3-4 blades, I could see how it'd be cost efficient. Just one, not really.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Hey, can I ask how many full body clips you guys are getting out of your blades before you have to sharpen them? And after they are sharpened, how many more full body clips? I've found that the newer blades after they are resharpened get dull again really fast--the last pair I had resharpened didn't even last for a full body clip on my mini. Granted, he's a tough case... but am I doing something wrong or maybe I need to find a better resharpening place? Or with some types of blades is it not worth resharpening?

Quote Originally Posted by vbunny View Post
    JSwan, do you have a link to the kind you have?
    I did try and google it but I can't remember the name of the kit.

Guess what I'm doing this afternoon - sharpening blades! (rainy yucky day). I'll jot it down and post back this evening.

I'm not sure folks would like to sharpen their own blades - it's tedious and a PITA to take 'em apart and put 'em back together again.

But I'm stingy, have lots of blades, and no life. So it works for me.

ETA - 2foals - I clip 3 horses several times a year - depending on well I prepare the horse for clipping I can get two full body clips per set. Generally.