The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Presious Passion

I know Zenyata was the star of Breeders Cup Saturday, but I was just watching some of the replays and you have to love Presious Passion's race in the 1 1/2 mile Turf.

After running 1:09 for six furlongs and a 1:34 mile. When the field starts to catch up and 99% of the horses out there would have dropped the anchor and backed out of it, Presious Passion pins his ears and makes one of the best turf/distance horses in the world, Conduit, earn every inch of the half length win.

You can't help but love a horse that is that game after going so fast early on.

He is one serious racehorse!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

He is my favorite racehorse...did you see the profile of him on TVG? He doesn't even have to be held for his bath....LOVE HIM!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I love his running style. I've never seen a horse actually be successful running so far ahead early. They almost always fade badly. He's cool!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Cited on the BC thread - and also this past summer - was PP's beloved victory at Monmouth in the United Nations where he set the track and stakes record. The BC was simply deja vu

Replay: July 4, 2009 Grade 1-T $750,000 UN Stakes - 20+ length lead

Or how about from Feb down in Florida?

Replay: Feb 2, 2009 Grade 2 Mac Diarmida Stakes, Gulfstream Park

Only a "fool" would dare challenge him on the lead. He's like the Energizer Bunny - he keeps going and going.

There was mention yesterday in the press that his connections have received several invitations for international races: Dubai and Hong Kong.

Provided the turf is firm (if its yielding they shouldn't even unload him) his talent and heart will get him to the winner's circle.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    I love his running style. I've never seen a horse actually be successful running so far ahead early. They almost always fade badly. He's cool!

Don't know if the San Juan Capistrano is still run at 1-3/4, but back in the 60s, I watched the races from Santa ANita on TV on Saturdays, and one year Tenny/Ellsworth sent in Olden Times as a rabbit for one of their other horses (maybe Prove It? I can't remember exactly). Anyway, Olden Times was basically a sprinter like Presious Passion, and Shoemaker broke him on top, opened up 23 lengths, and hung on to win by a nose! Fantastic race. I've obviously never forgotten it. Mrs. Ellsworth accepted the trophy and kept saying, "He's only supposed to go a mile." Shoemaker said that he was NEVER beaten out of the gate on Olden Times. I saw him in Kentucky back in the late 70s, when his name still showed up on the "leading broodmare sires list." Since we know what happened with Iron Reward, or even with Swap's relative soundness, you do wonder about the care he got. He was pin-fired to a faretheewell and had a hock the size of a grapegruit, but the stud handlers said he was basically sound and nice to handle. Jack Price said he liked to breed Carry Back to Olden Times mares because, "They stay sound and can run all day."

Nice.

Holy cow Buena Vista had incredible late speed!

Can someone explain why most of them had face masks with ears on prerace, & then most all of them were pulled off before they entered the gate.

Love how the Japanese crowd are conditioned to all clap & cheer with the music before the load into the gate.

Also interesting how all the handlers wear helmets. And things are stepped up a notch in formality with the matching blazers, though hard to take the orange pants seriously.

Obviously I know nothing abut Japanese racing.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

I love this horse! Thank you for putting this thread since I had not been able to see the Breeders Cup or follow and the lead up races (life is very complicated right now and no access to TV, a good thing really). He is a fighter, not the worlds smoothest running style but he makes up for it in courage.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Nice.

Holy cow Buena Vista had incredible late speed!

Can someone explain why most of them had face masks with ears on prerace, & then most all of them were pulled off before they entered the gate.

Love how the Japanese crowd are conditioned to all clap & cheer with the music before the load into the gate.

Also interesting how all the handlers wear helmets. And things are stepped up a notch in formality with the matching blazers, though hard to take the orange pants seriously.

Obviously I know nothing abut Japanese racing.
    Ear muffs to keep them calm around the crowds, and then pulled off when away.

The 'Passion' will return for an attempt at scoring a hat-trick in the Grade 2 W.L. McKnight turf stakes at Calder Race Course for December 26th!

DRF 12-15-09 "Presious Passion aims for three-peat"

Trainer Mary Hartmann has already declared her intention to bring Presious Passion back to try for the three-peat in the 1 1/2-mile McKnight.

Presious Passion was one of 23 long-distance runners nominated for the McKnight and one of two Breeders' Cup runners-up on the list. Trainer Jonathan Sheppard also nominated Cloudy's Knight, who was equally gallant finishing a close second in the Marathon. Cloudy's Knight bounced back to win Woodbine's Valedictory Stakes on Dec. 6 for his third win in four starts this season.
    A replay of PP taking this race in Dec 2008 is available here

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Jack Price said he liked to breed Carry Back to Olden Times mares because, "They stay sound and can run all day."
    Very cool! Thanks for posting this info. The mare I rode over the summer is 2 x 4 Olden Times.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    The 'Passion' will return for an attempt at scoring a hat-trick in the Grade 2 W.L. McKnight turf stakes at Calder Race Course for December 26th!
    Just getting caught up and noticed this race wasn't cited.

Alas 'Passion' was seriously compromised by the idiotic effort of the 80-1 Livingston Street who tried to match race if not rabbit-out our swift hare. If you watch the replay see how Livingston Street's jockey sends that horse on at about the 50-second to 1 minute mark in what either he thought (a) was a 1-mi sprint, (b) the second time past the stands when it was only the first, or (c) really just looked to derail Passion's chance to win ...

Props to Breeders' Cup Marathon runner up - and a delightful 9-yr old man - Cloudy's Knight for the victory.

Video replay here: Calder Race 10 Dec 26, 2009 Grade 2 W.L. McKnight Stakes

'The Passion' shall return! He's only now returned to training at Gulfstream Park and is aiming at the Grade 3 Mac Diarmida at a 1 3/8 miles on Feb. 27. Then Dubai with the Sheema Classic on March 27.

DRF 2-6-2010 "Presious Passion back at the track"

"Originally I was going to give him 10 days off, but I recalculated our schedule and decided to give him a little extra time," said Mary Hartmann, who trains the multiple Grade 1 winner Presious Passion for owner Patricia Generazio.

"His layoff also coincided with my assistant Fernando Espinosa's vacation. He's Presious Passion's regular exercise rider, and to be honest this horse gets a little moody when he's not on him."
    Regarding the bond between him and his exercise rider:

Part of the attraction between horse and rider is the fact Espinosa spends so much time with his big horse each and every morning on the track.

"Other exercise riders just don't have the time to spend with him because of their schedules," Hartmann explained. "Fernando has spoiled him. He spends about 45-50 minutes with him each day. They go out around 7:45 a.m. and are the last ones off the track each morning before the break at 8:30."

Just tossing this update here.

PP did win the MacDiarmida (Grade 3-T) at Gulfstream Park on Feb 28th. However like many other horses he went off to Dubai, failed to find his form and was off his game afterwards. So a well deserved summer of rest was ordered up, never even thinking about an Arlington Million attempt, but he is poised to return.

09-20-10 "Presious Passion Returns at Delaware Park"

'Passion' has been entered in the ninth race on the Sept. 22 card at Delaware Park. The 7-year-old gelding, who has earned more than $2.5 million, will face seven other horses in the 1 1/16-mile conditioned allowance/optional claiming test on turf.
    He just completed a workout on 9/14/10 at Monmouth Park going 1 mile in very relaxed time of 1:44.20. At 7-yrs old he knows that a work isn't the real deal.

TVG should air the race live.

yes!!!!!!!

yum.
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Yay!!!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

friends of mine bred that horse here in ocala. nice people. glad to see he is running again, cool horse.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Any one know what happened? The race was about 45 min ago and I can't find anything on line.

Something is wrong as he just didn't fire at DelPark and finished 4th.

I thought he was finally relaxing as his opening lead wasn't that huge - maybe 3 lengths at its biggest. So up the backstretch while he did get some pressure the fractions weren't jaw dropping, when challenged he eased back into 2nd then 3rd, and after the last turn he just didn't look comfortable and Elvis was already going to the whip.

He had all sorts of the chances to close without much traffic compromising a final run. The track looked hard and fast which he tends to enjoy best. Somebody seems to have stolen his mojo which likely occured in that trip overseas.

There'd been rumors out of Monmouth that he's become a real PITA in the mornings: refusing to train, refusing at the gate in schooling, etc. Anyone else heard those?

Mind you, from what I've heard and read, he's apparently always been a strong-minded horse, tending toward the "my way or no way" view of things. He chose that running style; Hartmann sure didn't.

So if he's decided he's done with racing, I'm not sure there's much to be done about it.

But, boy, when he was on, he was unforgettable.

It didn't work at Keeneland so he's going under the radar on Breeders Cup's big day with an Aqueduct run: November 6, 2010 Race 7 - the Red Smith H. (Grade II)

Breaking from post position 1

Let's hope he catches fire.