The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Immune System Booster

Is there a supplement that you can purchase to help boost the immune system? Thank you for any suggestions

APF from Auburn Labs

We haave used it for several years now for both horses and humans.

Immunall
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

SmartProtect from SmartPak Equine.

Try a search - we discuss this every couple of months

Transfer Factor from 4life.com. They are a great company. I swear by Transfer Factor. Kvet also sells the stress pack- if the horse is sick or shipping for instance. I give it to my dog when her allergies get really bad.

APF is also a good one.

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

Immune Builder by Blue Ridge Distribution!!!

We've used it for years with great results. Most of the other products we tried would work for awhile and then seem to plateau/or quit working as well.
    Immune Builder does not do this. The horses love it!
    Last edited by Whoanellie; Nov. 11, 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: can't spell
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

Levamazole. Once a month.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I use grapeseed extract and love it.

Good nutrition, lots of turnout. Works for me and my herd.

I like to let the immune system do what comes naturally; it does not need "boosting". Even if it COULD be done, the results would be disastrous. Thank heaven the products touted for this are more or less worthless--Mother Nature knows best.
    Click here before you buy.

Bio-Quench from Uckele. I use it spring/summer for allergies and have had good luck.

I agree with Deltawave that horses shouldn't need immune system boosters. If you keep your horses at home and manage them well, that is true.

HOWEVER, some of us are making the best of less than ideal boarding situations. For example, herd dynamics can constantly change, horses that show are turned out with horses that don't (and possibly introduce disease), the alpha horses chase the others out of the shelter, etc. The resulting stress can indeed compromise immunity, thus the need for immune boosters.

Most of us are simply doing the best we can with the situation that we have.

But a healthy immune system responds to stress all by itself, by design. "Boosting" it with this or that is so very unlikely to actually DO anything, also by design--by the grace of God or the good sense of Mother Nature our immune systems are more or less "immune" (pardon the pun) to tinkering.

Delta, that's what I was thinking. I mean, can you really "boost" an immune system? It responsds according to its function. I mean immunity, either you are immune to a pathogen or you aren't. Either your body can fight a foreign invader or not. Its dependent on rest, nutrition (general good nutrition) and emotional well being, and what antibodies you have developed.

I think people have really uninformed ideas of the immune system. I remember a friend of mine, when I told her about my allergys, said, oh, you should get this or that to boost your immune system!! I looked at her askance! I said, I don't want my immune system boosted, I want it supressed!! Do you know what allergies are? They are your immune system turning on your own body because it is over reacting.

Oh, well.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I think people have really uninformed ideas of the immune system
    That's putting it mildly.

So you both believe that:

1. Boarded horses are not more stressed than horses kept at home?
    2. Chronically stressed horses can't benefit from additional nutrients?

Guess I'll just have to disagree.

And BTW AnotherRound, you are absolutely right about the allergies. You want less immune "boosting", not more. That's true of most autoimmune problems, allergies included.

My yearling is at home. He was born frail and is one chapter after another despite my carefully thought out management practices to lessen his stress and his ability to injure himself. I beat myself up as a bad mommy but hope that as he matures he will get stronger. Even my husband is in on trying to keep him healthy. I WANT a magic bullet.

Default Gluta DMG EQ

I have been using Gluta DMG EQ for one of my old mares who has had a terrible time with lymphangitis for the past 5 or so years. My vet said it couldn't harm and may actually help, so it was my call. I don't know if it helps at all, but she is down to one episode a year now. And they are shorter in duration. So I dunno, maybe it works, she's still here at 20+.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

1. Boarded horses are not more stressed than horses kept at home?
    2. Chronically stressed horses can't benefit from additional nutrients?
    Answer to #1: It depends
    Answer to #2: Nutrients are great and it's hard to do without them, but one must define "nutrient" in this context, and "additional" is not always "optimal". IME more nutrients is not always beneficial but in many cases detrimental.

If we want to give our horses nutrients, can't we just call it FOOD? No, because that is pedestrian and boring and not exciting if you don't add words like "boost" or "flush" or "build" or "accelerate".

"More" is not always "better", and this goes double, triple and quadruple for horse (and human) supplements, IMO. However, it is only one person's viewpoint and the supplement industry is very happy and thriving to the tune of many billions/annum on the fact that I am in the minority.

Transfer Factor

Thanks for all the replies. I have three OTTB's that are at home, feed a good diet and have 24 turnout. But with one gelding I just can't get rid of the scratches. We can keep them down to a just 1 or 2 here/there, but never completely rid of them.

Before anyone asks, yes, he has had a biopsy of the skin - nothing there - just plain old scratches. We have tried desitin, furacin, scarlet oil - all the things that have beat to death on this board.

So, after reading every post I could find on this board about scratches and the "fix the horse" - I am out of ideas - so I am going to order this APF. It can't hurt. Anyone have ANY ideas on how to cure him once and for all?