The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm torn...

So I have a pretty decent little mare who I've had a blast working with and training from total green bean, freaks at everything to a solid citizen who is ready to step up to 3' and has started being ridden by intermediate type kids on occassion. So the question now facing me is do I sell her and buy a new greenie or do I keep riding her and do the 3' A/As next year and maybe even dabble with moving into the 3'6 later on. I originally bought her as a resale project so I could buy the next horse and hopefully get a nicer youngster to flip again and keep upgrading. This horse is just such a blast to ride, and is really indicating that the 3' - 3'6 range is going to be her niche. Would it be worth it to hold on another year and show her or better to try to sell now? Of course, no one knows what could go wrong (colic, injury, etc.), but from a riding and showing experience... Do I sell her as a solid 2'6 horse, schooling 3'-3'6, and pick up the next youngster to start all over again; or do I have fun showing her next season? I'm so torn!

P.S. DH would like to continue down the original resale path.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

If you like and enjoy her? Keep her.

Wrong time of year to sell a lower level or local horse and you can tell DH a 3' packer that can step up to 3'6" can add another zero on that price.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

My vote is for putting her up for sale now and just seeing what the market has to offer.

You can keep working with her and keep showing her, but if someone comes along and offers you the right price, sell her and get a green bean. If no one comes along to buy her, you can move up with her.

If you think she could be the horse you wanted at the end of your flip and upgrade idea, then hang on to her.

If not, I'd sell her if you have interest in her.

As LPH said, market her and keep going with her until she sells at the right price for you.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    If you like and enjoy her? Keep her.

Wrong time of year to sell a lower level or local horse and you can tell DH a 3' packer that can step up to 3'6" can add another zero on that price.
    I agree with this...the market sucks right now and a 3'6" horse can bring a much better price tag.

I'm going through this now with a confirmed 3' horse that I bred. He had a rough start but is now cleaning house. I think he'll top out at 3'6" but will be lovely. If I don't keep him for myself, we'll spend the winter getting him ready for the 1st years and see where he stands when the shows start in February. I think some junior will find him great for a move-up horse from the childrens. He's pretty to boot.

Keep her! As was said, its a terrible time to be selling this type horse and you'd be gambling with another one in terms of injury or colic too, AND the potential to have it not work out as successfully as this mare has.

I say put her up for sale at a slightly high price. If she sells at that price, terrific! If not, you can keep her through the winter/show season and get her jumping 3'-3'6" at shows and up the price as her value increases. It seems a win-win, either she sells for a great price now, or her value increases with shows and you sell her for an even better price later

Put her for sale at a higher price, keep riding her and showing her. Do the prayer to the gods that we all do to keep her sound. No one knows what the future holds and all you can do is enjoy the moment. Figure out what price you'd be happy with and try to sell her at that price.

I would either hold on and put her on the market next year when she is solid 3-3'6 or put her up now at a higher price and keep working and show her and up the price with the training it need be.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

For all of those people that said put her for sale now at a slightly high price wouldn't you be worried that potential buyers see her in the local horse rag for 3, 4 or 5 months in a row that they won't call because they figure something must be wrong with her?
    I know when I see horses that are in our local horse newspaper that have been for sale for months I figure that either something is wrong with the horse and the owner is not accurately assessing the horse so that it sells. By accurately assessing I mean either price range, potential, manners, size or ability. I would be a bit gunshy on taking a chance on going to see a horse that I perceive as misrepresented -whether intentional or not.
    I don't see the point in knowingly pricing the horse at higher than they are worth at that time in their training. I would think you either wind up with potential buyers that don't call because they look at the ad and say $$$ is overpriced for a horse that is currently showing 2'6", you have people that come try the horse and then don't buy because she is priced higher than the market will bear because of her current level of training.
    I would think either price her fairly now with the disclaimer of "Price will increase with training" or just wait until she has successfully moved up to the next level and next pricing tier.

In answer to OP: I would keep her and have fun but I ride for fun and don't do resale.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    For all of those people that said put her for sale now at a slightly high price wouldn't you be worried that potential buyers see her in the local horse rag for 3, 4 or 5 months in a row that they won't call because they figure something must be wrong with her?
    In answer to OP: I would keep her .
    i was thinking the same thing. i know i saw horses still available a year after i stopped shopping. with price tags dropping from 30k to 17k (one horse in particular) i never looked at him because the owner would not go lower than 30k. and a year later saw an ad for 17k. now i would assume something was wrong!
    if you have a horse that can do the 3ft AA. have fun on it and then sell it when the horse has a record. you are not going to get bid dollars as a 2.6ft horse and since you worked so hard, reap the benefits of a lovely 3ft horse for awhile.

True but...OP does not have to run any print ads in local newletter type papers. Just let it be known it is for sale.

Also, just stating in any ads that the horse is experienced at 2'6" and suitable to be showing at 3' now with potential ability to step up to 3'6" is not going to be the cheapest thing in that paper anyway and most don't sell off those ads anyway.

Surely anybody-serious buyers anyway- looking in this probable price range at this kind of horse is going to know price will increase with accomplishments and training and a 6 month old ad is not going to derail a sale.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I would put her up now with the larger price, but to deal with Sonnysmoms valid point, I would indicate in the ad that her training will continue and her price will continue to increase accordingly with the additional experience she gains.

always a tough call but it can't hurt to advertise her and see what you get. And advertise her as having 3'6" potential. If you get plenty of $ then let her go but if not then hang on to her till you can.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

She is fun, and I assume she's sound.

Getting out your very best crystal ball, do you think she'll be sound in a year with moving up?

If you think her comfortable days are numbered (even in the very long term), you will be helping this horse to sell her at a level below what she's really capable of. Let her be adored and cared for in job she can do for a long time.

People are typically willing to spend more on maintenance for their 3'6"-ers, but there comes a point where the known costs of maintenance for one of these becomes a problematic part of a sale.

This isn't a major point to consider right this winter, but I just thought I'd put into the mix since it seems like you'd be happy with either course of action.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Default Thanks Everyone!

What wonderful enablers you all are! I think I will let the word around and maybe advertise on freebie sites at a slightly high price and keep working/showing her. She's had a nice break since we bought and remolded a house and got married... all in the space of October. Ready to get back to work now and start showing 3' with the December/January locals. She honestly has the ability (step and scope) to easily jump around a 4' course, but since she's slightly over at the knee I don't want to push her to go that high. And as others have mentioned, I know pricing high is a bit risky, but I think by Springtime she will have grown into that price and at that point I can reassess to raise price "accordingly" or be ready to seriously sell. Here's to a winter of soundness and better weather!
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sport View Post
    I would put her up now with the larger price, but to deal with Sonnysmoms valid point, I would indicate in the ad that her training will continue and her price will continue to increase accordingly with the additional experience she gains.
    I never understood this. To me, it's like putting in the ad "utd on farrier and vaccinations including wn". For serious people, that's a "duh".

I don't like the idea of putting a horse on the market "just in case it sells" if you think you may SERIOUSLY put it on the market in the future. That raises a red flag for me as a buyer if I know your horse has been for sale for a while. So when I sell, I sell to sell. If I have any thoughts that I might not actually move the horse, I don't advertise it anywhere. JMO.