The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another Boot Question... Which Ones?

I apologize in advance for another boot thread, but I can't seem to get my search to work to look up past threads. I am looking for new field boots, and right now it seems as if custom boots are not an option for me. I wanted to get peoples opinion about the Ariat Monacos verses the Der Dau Contour field boot (from SmartPak).
    I know there is a large price difference between the two, but I have a coupon to my tack shop that gives me 25% off of any item and it does not say that it excludes the Monacos. So, I would be able to get either one of these boots for around the same price. Luckily, I have a pretty normal shaped leg so non-custom boots usually fit me nicely.
    I wanted to hear opinions on each of the boots, and see what the good/bad experiences are. I have heard good things about the Monacos, but I have also heard that the zippers tend to break easily. Other than that, I have not heard much about either one of these boots.
    Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The monacos are having major zipper issues. The concept is great, but i think they still have some work to do on the design of the boot.
    If your not being a good example than you'll just have to be a horrible warning. =o)
    http://www.maneandtail.com
    breeders of quality tb's and welsh ponies.

I've always hated the foot part of all Ariat boots, and I love Der Dau style and fit. I don't have direct experience with either boot, but for Monaco money I would expect better.

I am also in the middle of the dreaded boot search. I unfortunately do not have a normal shaped leg........short, muscular calf, small knee......and so far nothing has fit well You might want to try a pair of the Treadstone Elite field boots. They are only $350 and are very very nice for that price. The leather is soft, they have a nice tapered ankle, and a stretch panel by the zippper. The foot was very comfortable as well.

I was honestly shocked and how pretty they were and they would be very appropriate on the A circuit. I would definitely give them a try before spending more on the Ariats or Der Daus. They didn't fit my funky leg (but then nothing has yet!) so I have to send them back and I am so bummmed I ordered mine from Equus Now and had them in about a week. Trying the Grand Prix Elite next and keeping fingers crossed that I don't have to get customs. Good luck!

Because of the soft leather they have problems with the calves wearing through rather quickly.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I have a pair of the Monacos and I think they're really nice. The leather is softer than on my Vogels or my Sergio Grassos, and I have no complaints with the zippers so far (though I've only ridden in them for a few months and only at shows). With that being said, I am hugely skeptical about how long they'll last with that super soft leather on the inside of the leg. I would be willing to bet that with daily use the boots would start to break down in that area....and I'm always skeptical about zippers in boots. The zippers are not very heavy duty and I can see why so many people have problems.

I've heard very good things about the Der Daus, but haven't ever had a pair, so I can't compare.

I can say that I picked up my Sergio Grassos from Caval Europe and was totally impressed with the price (under $400) and shipping (less expensive than Dover), though it took 6(ish) weeks to get them. They've also got a ton of different sizes to pick from.

Between your two choices, though (and based on what I've heard from other people) I would probably pick the Der Daus over the Monacos if you need a boot that will hold up for a while. If you're only planning to show in the boots I will say that I think the Monacos are gorgeous and totally comfortable (the leather is so soft that there was no break-in time necessary for mine). But if you plan to ride in them quite and bit and have them for years to come I would probably go for something that gives you a little more value for your buck.

Has anyone tried the "Arena" field boot from Beval? I think it might be a new product??

Quote Originally Posted by ponymom64 View Post
    Has anyone tried the "Arena" field boot from Beval? I think it might be a new product??
    I have the Puissance boot from Beval and have been very satisfied with it. It was very price though, think 850 now. Glad to know they have an affordable alternative, but I know nothing about it as far as how the quality stacks up.

I'm not sure if the Smartpak Der Dau boots are like their normal customs, but if so, I'd go that route if you want a boot that looks nice and will hold up. I love the Ariat Monico boot(tried them once), but the leather is butter and they certainly seem like a boot that you could only use for showing.

I have the DD Contour boots and I love them. I actually got them through The Tack Room in SC because they were much cheaper than SP/Dover. I will say, they are fully lined so they took a few rides to break in. But now they are super comfy and the leather is gorgeous.

The Monacos are really nice and I think what you get will depend on how often you will ride in them. I think the DD will hold up a bit more to frequent use because the leather isn't quite as soft.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"