The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Survive Florida" Christmas Gift: Need Ideas!

Me and my friend have decided to get our trainer (who has everything) a "Survive Florida" package for Christmas. She leaved shortly after Christmas and leaving from Vermont is gonna be a big weather difference. So we've already thought of the funny stuff like a hat and sunscreen and some shades. But we need more. I'm going to put in one of those Swing Performance shirts that everyone is wearing down there (I have one and absolutely LOVE it!)

We want a cute tote to put it in. Whats hot right now? I love those Horseware Totes that smartPak has (http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=7239).

But I definitely need more ideas! Anything useful or funny you can think of? I've never done the Florida circuit so I don't know what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Not So Practical Horse(WO)man View Post
    Me and my friend have decided to get our trainer (who has everything) a "Survive Florida" package for Christmas. She leaved shortly after Christmas and leaving from Vermont is gonna be a big weather difference. So we've already thought of the funny stuff like a hat and sunscreen and some shades. But we need more. I'm going to put in one of those Swing Performance shirts that everyone is wearing down there (I have one and absolutely LOVE it!)

We want a cute tote to put it in. Whats hot right now? I love those Horseware Totes that smartPak has (http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=7239).

But I definitely need more ideas! Anything useful or funny you can think of? I've never done the Florida circuit so I don't know what is needed.

Are the Swing Performance shirts the golf shirts? I have been shopping the clearance sections at golf stores for years for my riding apparel
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Are the Swing Performance shirts the golf shirts? I have been shopping the clearance sections at golf stores for years for my riding apparel
    YES! I can give you the name and number of the rep I bought it from. Fabulous colors, they fit and look great. I'm a bit too tall for mine (6'1") and so I just tuck it into my belt and it does not move. I roll up the sleeves ad it looks just as classy!

Quote Originally Posted by Not So Practical Horse(WO)man View Post
    YES! I can give you the name and number of the rep I bought it from. Fabulous colors, they fit and look great. I'm a bit too tall for mine (6'1") and so I just tuck it into my belt and it does not move. I roll up the sleeves ad it looks just as classy!

Yeah, PM me with that info! Love them. I dated a golfer for years, and spent hours and hours stuck in golf stores before I realized all of the great deals they had in the womens clearance sections Now HE waits on ME.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Bungee cords to hold stall fan up, stall fan, blades for her clippers (when she body clips horse).
    Sandy in Fla.

Hmmm.

How about a gift card to Publix for yummy sandwiches or what ever else she might need? Wonder if you could track one down online on the Publix web page.

A great book she can settle down with on a day off or in the evening when she's all done?

In addition to the sunscreen, some lip balm containing same?

Really nice foot lotion with refreshing peppermint or something for those tired, sweaty feet?

Cute idea. I'm sure she'll love whatever you get for her.

For a bag, I LOVE my Ariat Carry All bag:
    http://ariat.com/products_detail.asp...50&refsid=1120

It's probably not as big as the tote, but it's definitely made by and for horse people. Has tons of pockets and dividers of different sizes to keep everything organized. Zippers to put money, credit cards, and checks where they don't fall out. A big middle pocket with mesh pockets around the edge for smaller things. A second big pocket that clips shut. Two pockets on the outside for a water bottle and other things... Did I mention I love it?

You have to buy her a tote with a Flamingo on it. Gotta! Maybe even a visor with one. Tourist shops have them year round around here.

Another local joke is anything with Disney. We've lived with them in our backyard for years so it's ho-hum for us. They have some cute products.

A beach towel, flip flops, tank tops, shorts,...these are worn year round around here except for the few *cough* cold days *cough* we have. Even on the cold days I still wear a tank top, shorts, and a hoodie. Half the time half way through the stalls the hoodie is ejected.

Sounds like a fun project!

Oh, and supply her with a pack of "Florida" postcards so she can keep you apprised of how she's doing. Even add stamps so she has no excuses.

I was going to recommend the Eskadron grooming tote.
    http://www.hannoverianridingwear.com...roomingbag.htm

I have one and loff it. I even crammed it full one weekend for a trip to Paris! Then I saw that they retail for $60-$100 . Hopefully I got a better deal than that since I bought it in Germany, and it wasn't that I got my Euros all mixed up.

Anyway....some good magazines might be nice since they can be mentally light and relaxing. Good chapstick is a must. A sun hat is also really nice for long days ringside. Maybe some gatorades or the powder also. If she is going for the season, a 6 weeks subscription to the COTH or Sidelines would be nice.

Depending on where she is going in Fl can make a big difference also. Weather in Welly world, is a world different than in Ocala or Jacksonville. It snowed once when we were showing in Ocala! It was about 5am and you could barely see it, but it happened. Jacksonville is about the same. I am sure that it will all feel like summer since she is coming from VT. I always hate the idea that I might go "north" for the winter.

This is a great idea and she is lucky to have such sweet students.

Hmmm...I'm liking the idea of cute gifts. She really does have EVERYTHING which is why I wanted the bag to be more stylish than practical. She has a million grooming totes.

I'll definitely do the magazine subscription. Not sure if she'll have time for a book.

What is Publix?

Publix is a chain of grocery stores. No matter where she's going she will find/see a Publix. If you go with the post cards (which is genius!) don't forget to include some wildly decorated cutesy pen! Most dollar stores have fun ones. If theres a 5 Below near by take a peak. They always have fun stuff at great prices. I usually outfit more than half of my "care packages" with their goodies. Another thing is a water bottle. Something light weight but big and fun colored!

Second the Publix gift card suggestion--they are SUCH lovely grocery stores, as well as the clipper blades--LOTS of clipper blades! Get her some bug spray with deet in it for the warm days . Tank tops and Havaianas flip flops are a must, especially if you bling them out with some sequins so we can pick her out as a Northerner. A cute ribbon belt with palm trees or flamingos to match the shirt would be fun.

more practical than funny or cute, but add a HUGE pack of baby wipes, they clean up ANYTHING from food to boots to spills in the truck, to taking blood out of clothes!! along with all the funny cool ideas already listed one or to practical things will round out the gift!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Publix gift cards? : http://www.publix.com/services/gift/GiftCertificates.do

So many designs to choose from

I hate to say it, but a great umbrella and raincoat/rain hat. When the cold fronts come through, we have a day of cold rain.....

If she's going to be near Orlando, how about a day's admission to one of the attractions? Or dinner at Medieval Times? (yeah, that can be pricey though).

Loretta in Ocala

Mosquito spray - lots of it!
    And nothing bad happened!

Is she a coffee drinker? And if so, a Dunkin Donuts lover? Then send her down w/ bags of DD coffee! We did that for a friend moving to CT, to the vast Dunkin-Donuts-free wasteland of CA

What about some kind of alligator repellent?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng