The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We've already had 3 1/2 inches in the rain gauge and they are saying it won't stop til late Friday or sat AM! Our back bathroom ceiling had a leak, some shingles had blown off, my hubby was home for veterans day (thank goodness!) and we were out in the pouring rain and wind for him to climb on roof while I held the ladder and put new shingles up!!! I gave up and broguth horses in at 3:30 and now they are saying it will be WORSE tomorrow, 40+ mph winds and more rain! I rarely leave the horses in the barn, but they may be staying in tomorrow! Somebody turn off the faucet!!!

4 inches?!?!

My back pasture is a mud pit, and I have pretty good drainage. Horses got a quick clean up and sheets on this morning. Hay under shelter and access to their stalls, but they are wearing grumpy faces. My nice new sand riding paddock has stream running through the middle of it.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Still more rain here today. It seems to have stalled right on top of us. We're now experiencing flash flood warnings. Our barn is at the top of the hill but our pastures are down low up against a creek

The ponies are ANGRY. They got to go our for an hour yesterday for the first time since Monday. Looks like another day inside for them.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

certainly been super soggy. I've bought stock in Farrier's Barrier so that my guys can still go out. Even had my sediment pond over flow into a paddock yesterday. My horses rolled in the 3 inches of water! Loved it! I figured it added value to the farm by adding a 'water complex'.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

This is just unbelievable. We just got in from chores just drenched to the bone ourselves and cold. The temp here is 54F and the wind is probably sustained about 30 mph and gusting higher...rain is sideways and vicious...it stings to hit your face. I have brought in every horse that I can and those that live out are just miserable. We put hay in and behind the sheds (windbreaks) and did our best for them to eat and be out of the wind/rain. My high topped waterproof boots were soaked full of water in no time. I honestly have not seen it this bad here.

From what I can tell this is going to go on for another day??? I don't have a rain guage anymore but I'd estimate we've had at least 6 inches here and probably that much more to come.

It's definitely ugly here. Sheds are now swampy because the pasture is now a lake.

If the weather man says one more time that we are in a rain deficit and NEED the rain I am going to drive to the TV station and throttle him.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Thankfully, we had a pause in the rain this morning while I was in the barn - have cut the grain and increased the hay and hope we can handwalk/graze some this afternoon. I have one with a stifle issue and one rehabbing a suspensory so no turn out til it dries out. It's supposed to be in the 60-70's this weekend but right now we are in the 40's.

So far they are happy to be in, but I know that is a limited time offer.....

Just got in and although the rain is light today the wind is totally un believable and got stronger the entire time I was out! DEfinitely hurricane force winds here! Took me 1 1/2 hours jsut to feed and turnout, normally takes 45 minutes. They had to go out, stalls are a mess and they were bouncing off the walls with all this wind, of course the hay piles are blowing across the pastures! I still have to clean stalls and set up for tonight but needed a break! it is in the mid 40's and 40 - 50 moph winds right now so rather cold at that. My stallions blanket literally blew off of him! man I hope this wind dies down at some point today, but I don't think it is going to!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    From what I can tell this is going to go on for another day??? I don't have a rain guage anymore but I'd estimate we've had at least 6 inches here and probably that much more to come.
    Well can't help much, but my rain gauge is at 4.5 inches, but leaning from the wind. Guess that doesn't matter it only goes to 5 inches so guess it was overflowing anyway.