The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good Morning Hurricane Ida

Seems like the whole southeast is getting SWAMPED. We got over 3" of rain yesterday and last night with no signs of it letting up soon. The ponies are all grumpy because they've been stuck inside for going on 2 days now. My poor ring will be underwater!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

We are lucky. Instead of Ida turning and heading straight for the Atlantic as once projected, coastal GA didn't start getting rain till yesterday afternoon, and then no more till this morning. Not a lot of rain and the wind here is minimal.

My friends in Atlanta say they've gotten a lot of rain and wind. Ida rather not have a hurricane this late in the season, but at least it is not like Hugo or Andrew or Katrina.

Yup, 4.25 inches of rain by me.... it was steady and drippy allllll day.

My one mare stays out. She's fine.

My other is in/out-ish.... she's in a big paddock with a run in (where I did put her hay to encourage her to stay in and keep her feet sorta dry). Thanks to 7 days of dry, the paddock was no longer a mud pit. One day of rain, and it's back to square one: thick, boot-sucking mud. Blech....

Fortunately, it's on its way out to the northeast and sun & 71 will return.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

There's generally a stream in our pastures but now it's about 3' deep and moving VERY fast. I don't trust the beasties not to injure themselves.

The weather sure made feeding fun this morning! 53* with 30 mph winds and pouring rain. And I do this job why?!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Wanna see a real live rockslide?

We set a daily record of 1-1/3" rain as of just after Midnight, and it's still coming down. It's beginning to let up now, but the creek out front is near its banks.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Wanna see a real live rockslide?

We set a daily record of 1-1/3" rain as of just after Midnight, and it's still coming down. It's beginning to let up now, but the creek out front is near its banks.
    Holy moly!

Good thing they got out of area before it let go. Freaky!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Slightly less severe than what you guys got, but the rain is here today and tomorrow. Began late last night and is coming steadily. We have wind and flood warnings to enjoy, too.

Hope you are all able to dry things out and keep everyone safe and healthy!
    Fun equestrian t-shirts designed by a rider like you:
    http://skreened.com/laughinglion

Grumpy ponies here too. I keep telling them at least they have the whole barn yard to out in if they want too, but they aren't liking the sideways rain.

Live close to Ocean in VA and hubby just came from the beach and said the wind is causing white caps in the puddles on the streets

We're having a Nor'Easter here in Tidewater VA today...miserable cold rain and wind headed in sideways. We put the horses out long enough to clean stalls and will probably bring them in early as well as bringing in a number that live outside. I believe we have flood warnings up here too as much land is low lying and the tides will be coming in a bit higher than usual.

That rockslide was something else! Wow! Thanks to that geologist who got everyone out of the way in time! Scary stuff!

It is POURING here in eastern NC, wind blowing, very chilly in low 50's, nor'easter. Predicted to continue for TWO MORE DAYS, at least 1 1/2 inches since last night, maybe more. Turned mine out this AM, will probably brng them in early after getting stalls done. The ones that live outside just have to suffer thru it I am afraid! And they say tomorrow winds will get over 40 mph (25 today). I hate this kind of weather!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Yikes, the Weather Channel just said this thing is now going to PARK over top of us for DAYS and get re-energized while its at it.....neat~
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

damnit.... damnit damnit... GO AWAY RAIN..... I need to get my damn fencing up so I can bring my ponies HOME!!!!!! I'm watching puddles pooling in the yard.... wondering if the pond has some decent water in it yet and wishing I had a couple of rain sheets for my horses that are NOT HOME YET....

and because of all this rain I can't set my gate posts in 'crete.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

We just got back in from bringing the stall boarders and some of my horses inside as well as covering outside boarders. We checked on the horses that live out with shelters and it was so cute...but 6 weanlings were all huddled in their shelter together and looked nice and cozy.

The wind is really picking up now and it's getting really nasty. Not even sure if we'll turn out at all tomorrow if it's like this in the a.m. We can rotate them to empty stalls to clean. This is just vile.

Best of all, my one trim appt for today was cancelled and we'll reschedule. Nasty nasty day.

It has been raining here in the Raleigh/Durham area since yesterday and it is supposed to continue through tomorrow. My horse and mini donkey have a paddock out the back of the barn and can come and go as the please. The mini was very disappointed to find out that the big warmblood WANTED to hang out in the rain.

The only issue I have is we have two creeks, and one of them the driveway crosses over. When I left the farm at 6:45am it was already high and flowing fast. I'm worried I'll get home and the driveway is flooded. If it floods the banks it can't really hurt anything other than just the driveway. But we knew that could happen when we built it.

But looking for the silver lining, if it does flood maybe I'll have to stay home from work tomorrow!!!!

Started raining here yesterday. Horses will be in until at least Friday, and Casper IS NOT HAPPY about that. Mack is pretty content, as long as he has hay and plenty of water.My trainer has the other two, and they're also staying in. She even cancelled her community service group for tonight, because of the flooding that's occurring.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

After raining here all day yesterday at a real downpour rate, I finally gave up and went out and fed at 6:00 in the rain. I got SOAKED!! It was blowing so hard that it blew right under my raincoat hood and went down my neck and back - I was miserable. I don't know how much we had here in Covington, GA - haven't heard, but my best guess would be between 2.5 and 3 inches. Today all we have is major wind gusts.

Sorry to hear how this is turning out for your SC folks - nothing like having it sit right on top of your state and fuel itself up.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

When I last checked (around 8 this morning) our rainfall total was around 4"... all the horses went out today and were happy except for when the wind would pick up, then they put the grumpy faces on. I am very fortunate though and for the most part, the farm I'm leasing has excellent drainage, so the only swampy area is the 'boo-boo' paddock and the high traffic areas by the gates and where the hay gets thrown, so I just have to throw it in different places!

I do wish this would move out of here though, it wasn't so bad when they said it would only be here 24 -36 hours... now it's starting to annoy me!
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

I had the weather channel on earlier and SE Virginia could get up to a foot of rain. Wow! I'd say we have at least 4 or so now. No idea where that much more rain will "go."

Headed back out into the storm here soon for evening chores...UGH...

Rain, Rain go away...come back another day..

They said southern Maryland will get about 4" after it is said and done.

Which means..my horse will be a mud ball again.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

[QUOTE=Daydream Believer;4493028]I had the weather channel on earlier and SE Virginia could get up to a foot of rain. Wow! I'd say we have at least 4 or so now. No idea where that much more rain will "go."QUOTE]

I believe it - It's been down pouring (well kinda going sideways) since early this morning. Weather Channel just had Va Beach on and said tide won't be able to go out for low tide.

Well ponies have open doors to the paddock, but they are staying inside. Grumpy girls too.