The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neigh-lox anyone used it?

My gelding is on stall rest right now, was wondering if anyone has tried neigh-lox as a ulcer preventative?

It was used at a barn I worked at several years ago on a couple of horses that had suspected ulcers (per vet), it seemed to help if I recall. Around the same time when I was having trouble keeping weight on my own horse - who had lots of arthritis and therefore bute etc. I used the stuff made my absorbine, its pink and looks like peptobismal. That did seem to make him more comfortable.

Neighlox can be a show, lesson, ride, whatever saver, but that being said I would not use on an ongoing basis for two reasons:
    1. it has been reported to have a "rebound" acid levels effect, so I would not use it when a horse is not actively showing symptoms. Also neighlox's effects only last for upto 2 hours. So in specific stressful situation such as trailering or showing, to keep the effect regular dosage is needed.
    2. there are more effective drugs like omeprazole, raniditine, ect (fyi, ugaurd, pro cmc, and other ulcer "supplements" are calcium carbonate and in the same group as neighlox) I spend the same on raniditine as I do neighlox if I do only one, so I give my horse raniditine 3x a day and spot treat with neighlox when he seems ulcery or acts up undersaddle (he knows how to tell mom his tummy hurts to get his fix )

Basically, if you have heart burn twice a week, do you take pepcid ac (neighlox) everyday morning and night and deal with the consequences of say 3 times a week rebound heart burn (which you won't treat because it's not on the feeding schedule) OR would you take prilosec (ulcergard) for two weeks and follow with spot treatments of pepcid ac when you are feeling it coming on?

And of course this is all related to preventitive, not active treatment of ulcer. I associate preventive much like treating severe heart burn (as I have had ulcers and know what the pre, during, and post phases feel like) I personally would put your horse on a 2-3 times a day treament with ranitidine (zantac) until your horse adjusts to stall life to keep those acid levels incheck without the negative side effects. And stall rest does not cause ulcers in and of it self so watch how your horse responds. My horse's chronic ulcers cleared up on stall rest for a suspensory (with a scope to prove it) and you can tell his stall is his happy place. Outside he walks the perimeter or stands at the gate to come in and was a constant ulcer case. Now three years later, I've finally learned he doesn't like turn out and take him on long multi hour trail rides instead (which he seems to really enjoy) 3-4 times a week and his ulcers (or lack there of) have been the best in the 8 years I've had him and we're traveling and showing too.

PS the pink stuff mentioned above is called pro cmc and it has the same main ingredient as neighlox. According to my horse it works about the same for acute symptoms, however it is messy to give while trailering and showing so I use the pelleted neighlox for that. Pro cmc is much cheaper however if you want something for daily use ($30-$60/ month depending on dose).

Also, I wanted to add that neighlox is an excellent "I feel ulcery" test! When the horses behavior is involved, if the neighlox is temporarily clearing the pain, a noticably change in performance or attitude should be evident. Doesn't work the same for all horse of course, but with my horse it will be get on... grind teeth, buck, rear, spin... get off, give double dose neighlox with alfalfa pellets... get on... dressage test that wins the class. Big difference and totally different horse!

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    Neighlox can be a show, lesson, ride, whatever saver, but that being said I would not use on an ongoing basis for two reasons:
    1. it has been reported to have a "rebound" acid levels effect, so I would not use it when a horse is not actively showing symptoms. Also neighlox's effects only last for upto 2 hours. So in specific stressful situation such as trailering or showing, to keep the effect regular dosage is needed.
    2. there are more effective drugs like omeprazole, raniditine, ect (fyi, ugaurd, pro cmc, and other ulcer "supplements" are calcium carbonate and in the same group as neighlox) I spend the same on raniditine as I do neighlox if I do only one, so I give my horse raniditine 3x a day and spot treat with neighlox when he seems ulcery or acts up undersaddle (he knows how to tell mom his tummy hurts to get his fix )

Basically, if you have heart burn twice a week, do you take pepcid ac (neighlox) everyday morning and night and deal with the consequences of say 3 times a week rebound heart burn (which you won't treat because it's not on the feeding schedule) OR would you take prilosec (ulcergard) for two weeks and follow with spot treatments of pepcid ac when you are feeling it coming on?

And of course this is all related to preventitive, not active treatment of ulcer. I associate preventive much like treating severe heart burn (as I have had ulcers and know what the pre, during, and post phases feel like) I personally would put your horse on a 2-3 times a day treament with ranitidine (zantac) until your horse adjusts to stall life to keep those acid levels incheck without the negative side effects. And stall rest does not cause ulcers in and of it self so watch how your horse responds. My horse's chronic ulcers cleared up on stall rest for a suspensory (with a scope to prove it) and you can tell his stall is his happy place. Outside he walks the perimeter or stands at the gate to come in and was a constant ulcer case. Now three years later, I've finally learned he doesn't like turn out and take him on long multi hour trail rides instead (which he seems to really enjoy) 3-4 times a week and his ulcers (or lack there of) have been the best in the 8 years I've had him and we're traveling and showing too.

What is the dose of zantact for a 1200lbs horse? Do you use the pills or a compound? My surgeon is not concerned about ulcers but I am a freak that would like him scoped just for prove either way. it scares me when all the horses horses in the barn are eating there hay and he isn't and acts depressed, by nature he is such a happy horse and gobbles his hay as fast as he can by nature. I get nervous because I love him so much. That said my horse eats every speck of hay and is a bit overweight not dropping weight. Could you treat for a month and then back down the horse should he on small paddoc. There isn't any harm in giving zantact right? I would normally have put him on gastroguard but so maxed out right now.

I would try neigh-lox then Far. Just do as flys recommended and see if he improves temporarily. I would strongly strongly urge you not to waste your money on the compounded or otc versions of omeprazole. If you want to do the omeprazole, use gastrogard or ulcergard.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

My horse was suspected to have ulcers so my one vet told me to put him on ranitidine 3 x day/ 150 mg/pill, 11 pills each time. He about 1000 pounds. He has been on ranitidine for approximately 3 months. I just had him scoped this week and he still has ulcers. I had him scoped by a different practice. This vet is a very well known old-timer-type track vet who I respect very highly. He told me to take the horse off of the ranitidine because all it does is mask the issue, change diet (basically add alfalfa to his diet which is supposed to absorb stomach acid, I already have him on a low starch pellet). He has daily turn out on grass, tons of hay, and not much grain. He also told me to put him Neigh-lox instead of the ranitidine. Have not done that as of yet but am considering Smart Gut instead because besides the antacid, it also has pro and prebiotics and other stomach soothing ingredients. Neightlox is just an antacid.
    Not sure if any of this info helps

Interesting! Did you ever try a course of anti biotics to see if there was an infection from ulcers. I had read of a horse who did not respond to gastroguard. After contacting the unniversity of texus they were to run a course of antibiotics as well as gastroguard, the ulcers cleared up quickly. Sounds like gastroguard and alfalfa is really the way to go. I really appreciate everyones sharing there experiences!

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    I would try neigh-lox then Far. Just do as flys recommended and see if he improves temporarily. I would strongly strongly urge you not to waste your money on the compounded or otc versions of omeprazole. If you want to do the omeprazole, use gastrogard or ulcergard.

Would neigh-lox help prevent ulcers during stall rest?

There was a manufacturer recall on a particular lot number of Neigh Lox, so be careful with your usage. All of the information is from a thread started last week.

Before you over indulge in more medications on this chronically stall bound horse (from your previous posts) why not consult your vet??
    Did your horse develope ulcers during his last stall hiatus??
    Try Aloe Vera or Papaya in his feed and some nice green leafy alfalfa chopped w/ what ever ration you feed him Avoid high sugar content concentrated feeds even peppermints and try a L/S feed. keep his tummy full even if its w/ nothing of value fluff. If you keep buffering him you will really screw him up.

Yes, I used it for years on my 2 horses to prevent ulcers. I liked it.
    There is a recent thread on the recall for contamination.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Before you over indulge in more medications on this chronically stall bound horse (from your previous posts) why not consult your vet??
    Did your horse develope ulcers during his last stall hiatus??
    Try Aloe Vera or Papaya in his feed and some nice green leafy alfalfa chopped w/ what ever ration you feed him Avoid high sugar content concentrated feeds even peppermints and try a L/S feed. keep his tummy full even if its w/ nothing of value fluff. If you keep buffering him you will really screw him up.
    I have consulted with my vets many. I am doing what they tell me to do. My surgeon is not concerned about ulcers and thinks bute can be used safely for a "long time without concern". My surgeon is great but I do worry about my boy. I am putting him though this stall rest in hopes to give him a better, sound, life. Also in the past he was on small paddoc rest never less than 12x24, much of his previous layup a 30x30 was precsribed,post surgery stall rest was important but even then his stall extended 8 feet outside making it 12x20.

Quote Originally Posted by Fharoah View Post
    Would neigh-lox help prevent ulcers during stall rest?
    It is believed by some to, and some of the ACVIM dips I have consulted with think it helps, but the only thing really proven to prevent equine ulcers is Ulcergard/Gastrogard.

I personally have used it in the past as a maintenance thing. I don't know whether or not it worked more for the horse or me-making me feel better for doing 'something'-but it certainly doesn't harm the horses (well, the non-recalled stuff anyway) and it might help temporarily.
    Last edited by Grataan; Nov. 13, 2009 at 04:28 AM. Reason: for clarity
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Good luck getting your horse to eat it! I have a huge tub of it that I purchased for the same reason you're considering it and my horse wouldn't touch it. Later when I got a second ulcer-prone OTTB, he wouldn't eat it either. I've had GREAT luck with SmartPak's SmartGut Ultra and would suggest it to anyone, anytime
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

has anyone tried ulcerguard? http://www.ranvet.com.au/ulcerguard.htm

I have used Neigh Lox and liked it, but I've been far happier with Tractguard by Foxden Equine. It isn't just an antacid, and I've been very pleased with the results I've had.