The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dear CoTH, (spinoff)

Dear CoTH Mods,

I'm sorry you have to put up with us.

Have a drink!

________||_

(PS: Sorry it's not the real thing.)
    Horsey Stick Art clique
    Crayolaposse~ SparklyLime
    PPP Grand-Poobah

They might not have to if it gets any slooooo wwww eeee rrrrr .

I don't actually mind the large adverts and the tiny area for the posts but I find the slowness incredibly tedious.

Yep, it seemes to bog down after the third click or forth click on the site, transitioning to another page. Sad, because when I come to the site, I will usually spend several hourse and click to 50 or more pages, reading all the threads, many of the forums, and all the sometimes hundreds of pages on a thread. Now I'm limited to just 3 or 4 before I have to give up and shut down the browser!! That's bad!!!
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Well, still holding my breath, but it seems to be working faster this morning.

Default The usual cheer !

Jingles for the Moderators !!! Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !!! It worked for "Willie" so I am hoping it works for you too !!! Hope you have a somewhat "boring" Wednesday aka some peace and quiet !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    Yep, it seemes to bog down after the third click or forth click on the site, transitioning to another page. Sad, because when I come to the site, I will usually spend several hourse and click to 50 or more pages, reading all the threads, many of the forums, and all the sometimes hundreds of pages on a thread. Now I'm limited to just 3 or 4 before I have to give up and shut down the browser!! That's bad!!!
    Here's my (totally appropriate, 'legal,' not-a-hack) work-around for that problem...

From the main page of whichever forum I'm in, instead of clicking into a thread, reading, returning to the forum and clicking the next thread to read, I stay on the forum page and right-click the topics I'm interested in, asking it to load 3 or 4 of them in separate tabs (I use Firefox - if I were in IE, I guess I'd open them as separate windows). I read a couple of those "first batch" threads, then ask to open a couple more (a second batch), and read the rest of batch one while batch two loads. Then ask to open a couple more, and read the second batch while the third batch loads. That way, I almost always have something to read while I wait for other pages to load.

I do that too, but the site doesn't seem to care, they still get sloower and sloowwwer and boggier and boggier - there must be some compound effect of layered content kept in memory every time you open a page, which doesn't close down and release so the next page will load quickly.

Its that sort of bad architecture of the entire site which needs to be addressed, and since the builder(s) didn't correct it right away, it seems clear to me they are holding onto it and, as Mod1 says "tweaking" it instead of redesigning it. Myself, I would have gotten a well paid consult to evaluate the entire architecture of the site, the very next day, after all the obvious problems were foisted onto the readers and it was obviously not working well, no matter what the cost, and followed the consult's advice to re-design it. Put it back to the old site until a new design was written and thoroughly tested before a re-release. But it seems they aren't doing that. They are, according to Erin and Mod1, taken each small issue and trying to fix it before addressing the next. Really bad management of a web site. I am astounded.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

For me, it was faster yesterday, but now it's slowed way down, particularly when I switch forums.

It CRAWLS.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Someone suggested downloading AdBlock if you are using Firefox. I did that and poof! No more ads, the forums take up the whole page. And it is fast to load the pages. The only odd thing to get used to is the big blank spot on the top of the page that you have to scroll past to get to the topic. I also open the individual threads in a separate tab.

The advertisers probably aren't very happy with the likes of me!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

They're changing, rearranging,
    Coth's changing, they're changing everything,
    Everything around us,

The forum is a confusing place,
    A smaller place,
    A harder place to read,
    But I don't want it to die,

All our sorrow,
    Change it back tomorrow,
    Take us back to our old forum,
    All our whining, all our chiming,
    Take us back to our old forum.

I'll have a frozen margarita with salt please Pony Person.

It took me 80 sec. to get to type this reply Oh and another 40 sec just to get the sleepy icon up Crazy slow. Its making me not get on as much and not post near as much. I don't have hours a day to wait to look at stuff. Now lets see how long it actually takes for this to post.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    It took me 80 sec. to get to type this reply Oh and another 40 sec just to get the sleepy icon up Crazy slow. Its making me not get on as much and not post near as much. I don't have hours a day to wait to look at stuff. Now lets see how long it actually takes for this to post.
    Tehehehe
    Remember back in the days of dial-up when we were all used to slow load times? Or BEFORE technology when it took WEEKS to get a letter out? Amazing how far technology has come- even more amazing how progressively less patient we get with time.

BTW- the boards are loading at an appropriate speed for me. And have been since the relaunch. (Vista/Chrome 3.0)
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

I can't belive this thread is still open..
    Horsey Stick Art clique
    Crayolaposse~ SparklyLime
    PPP Grand-Poobah

Default I love the Forums!

I really like the narrow-er reading space---
    I like letting my eye move down the page,
    rather than working at the left-to-right
    exercise!

I don't care about the Ads or their size,
    there must be a reason for them----

I sooooooooo appreciate the opportunity
    provided here by the COTH, & enjoy going thru the posts almost daily----feeling deprived if
    I can't get on & getting my *fix*!!!

My pages have been loading immediately
    today, I love having the time to sit down
    with a cuppa & catching up on this horse
    world!

Thank You,all the Mods & the powers that
    be, for your efforts & generosity!!!!
    Ann