The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn jacket for fall/winter?

I want a new coat to ride outside and do chores in. Not for extreme cold but 30-45 degree range. I just ordered one from LL Bean and was pretty disappointed so it's going back. I want something fitted at the waist so I don't look like the michellin man on a horse Less than $100. Any ideas?

I purchased a Schmitts Womens Work Wear from TSC a few weeks ago when they had 10% off. So far, I'm pleased with it. It is sturdy, but not stiff like the Carrharts. Fleece inside, pockets inside and out, hood, and is longer in the rear than in the front, making it easier to bend without getting a breeze
    Facta non verba

I don't have a specific recommendation but I always look for a 2 way zipper and nylon lining, especially in the sleeves (makes it easier to remove jacket when you're wearing polarfleece). They just had a great looking Irideon Jacket on TOTD for 59.95!
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

bump.

I buy all my barn jackets at GAP on sale. They are so warm and they last for years!

I just bought an Equi-Theme jacket from Stampede Tack. It is a new material, hi-tech shell bonded onto a fleecy inner material. It is shaped to the waist, longer at the back and in black with grey inset. It'll do me, I think. Not super warm or puffy. Good for layering.

Can be seen on the web.

Then I went to Mane Event and saw Debbie McDonald wearing the exact jacket I'd been looking for - but was too reserved to go ask her where it came from.

I have a coat that I got from Dover Saddlery. It is their Rider brand winter coat. Right now it is about $130, but keep a watch on their sales as they usually mark it down mid winter.The thing I like about it is versatility. It is a water repellant(works pretty well as I have worn it in the downpours we have had for the last few days) shell that has vents under the sleeves, multiple pockets,two way zipper, and a draw string at the waist. Into this zips a shorter(just below waist length) quilted, fleece lined long sleeve jacket. The jacket can also be worn alone and the sleeves zip out to be used as a vest. I have found it to be a very handy addition to my coat wardrobe.

Simbalism -- how warm is the Rider coat? Will it keep me warm in the frigid weather? I don't believe the temperature ratings in LL Bean and Land's End. Coats they've rated at 0 - 15 degrees are not warm. They're good at about 30 degrees, but not colder. And I'm not one who has to drag out the snowsuit at 40 degrees.

The coat I wear in the winter is a very old Izzy that used to be my "good" coat. It comes below my backside, and I can wear my smartwool top, polar fleece, and vest underneath it without feeling like the Michelin man. I take the coat off for riding. It's seen better days, so I'm looking for alternatives.

I will say that for very cold barn work I have an old big bulky mountain horse jacket. It's comfy and warm and I can ride in it in the coldest weather. It looks like hell though. Buttons missing, stains, etc.

I bought the cheaper version last year on sale from dover. I think it was riders international, not mountain horse. It was the one with the quilted coat inside that you could remove. The quilted inside coat is nice but the outer layer cut was terrible. It's a giant square coat. Huge square shoulders and huge at the waist. Very unattractive!

I guess I'm looking for something like that original mountain horse but slightly lighter weight.
    Last edited by Sparky Boy; Nov. 13, 2009 at 02:11 PM.

I got my current winter coat at Ross. It's a Columbia ski-type jacket, with lots of pockets and under arm vents which are a life saver! It can also be unzipped from the bottom which is helpful for riding. Try shopping outside the horsey retail box!

Quote Originally Posted by horsecents View Post
    I don't have a specific recommendation but I always look for a 2 way zipper and nylon lining, especially in the sleeves (makes it easier to remove jacket when you're wearing polarfleece). They just had a great looking Irideon Jacket on TOTD for 59.95!
    I bought this jacket from TOTD and can't wait to get it! I'm hoping it will be really nice, I haven't seen one in person.