The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fluff Articles on the front page of COTH!!

Wow, its Teen Beat!! The first thing we see when we pull up COTH is "How to find the most flattering breeches for your figure!!!"

Talk about a new image. The mag used to be about hunting and chasing, and its great to be a resource for all the news from the disciplines - but what can we expect now? Fluff articles pulled from the threads on the forums with the most posts??

Someone's marketing degree wasn't from the brightest university.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Hmm. Really? I guess I'm glad I rarely use the online version of the magazine. I'll sometimes check in when there's a major event going on and COTH has someone doing live (sort of) updates.

I guess I'm a traditionalist. Love the "hard copy" mag I get every week in my mailbox.

Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

ROFL, love it! (so true, 'Someone's marketing degree wasn't from the brightest university.')
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I have to agree with evenstar. I love the hard copy, and in fact love the old COTH - it used to be in newsprint, well, a bit better quality, but I loved the feel of the mag in my hands, and it came, if I remember, twice a month, and had all the local hunts schedules in them. I thought it also had race results, but I could be wrong about that. Anyhoo, someone I know reminded me of when they would get COTH, they would line their trunk with pages from the mag, and someone papered the tack room wall with the pages from the mag!! She said she always dreamed of having a tack room where she could paper the wall with Coth issues, but then they changed format, even in the hard copy, to a slick paper, and her dream has ended unfullfilled. Every barn you went to, there were copies of the mag in the tack room. I loved it. It was sophisticated and serious, but represented a community I belonged to and was proud of, and housed dreams in all forms within the pages.

Some how "Wow, here's a way to figure out which breeches flatter YOUR figure" isn't what I have in mind when I think of COTH.

Just sayin.

So now CoTH is the new Practical Horseman? Or as it used to be referred to in my house; "Practically a Horseman".................sad.

I suppose I should have expected something like that as soon as I saw the new website and, poof.....No logo banner!

I remember when it was newsprint and a hunting/'chasing magazine! I've been a subscriber to the weekly magazine for more than twenty years. Now I know I'm getting old.
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

Yeah.... I agree. I don't want to see a human's butt and an article on fashion as the main article on COTH either (a horse's butt and an article on equine muscle development and bone structure, now..... that would have been great). Articles on flattering your figure should be a sidebar or a few bullet points tucked in somewhere else.

But, maybe the moderators can find a pair of breeches to flatter the newly skinny text sections of the Forum. :-)

(Just teasing you, Mods.... we love you; we really do. We just don't like the skinny "text column" with all that green space on the sides looking like it's squeezing the text. )

:-)

FWIW, the changes are only additions to the online version of COTH. The print magazine will be the good ol version that you are used to.

I found the new articles funny, I don't think they are meant to be serious- just something to make us laugh.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

I'm with mypaintwattie - I thought it was pretty funny. Just more places to navigate to, and to keep you from working too hard.

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek fashion commentary. although goodness knows, I'm sure the author would wince if she ever saw my barn wear get ups.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

All we talk about around here sometimes is fluff...COTH finally listened

I liked the new online addition. I still love the print addition too. I am eagerly awaiting spring so that when our arena side "office" is done I can have all my piles of COTH magazines out there on the shelves for parents to read and for the kids to dream over.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Where are you finding these "fluff" articles? All I am finding (and it takes me FOUR clicks to get there) is an impossible-to-navigate pdf of the current print magazine.

I really miss being able to get to the ToC in ONE click, and then clicking on the contents to go directly to the article, in screen friendly format.

Is it there and I just haven't found it?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Janet ditch the PDF and hit the site..click on news or one of the links at the top.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Where are you finding these "fluff" articles? All I am finding (and it takes me FOUR clicks to get there) is an impossible-to-navigate pdf of the current print magazine.

I really miss being able to get to the ToC in ONE click, and then clicking on the contents to go directly to the article, in screen friendly format.

Is it there and I just haven't found it?
    It seems to be on the opening page of chronofhorse.com - I thought that whould, like of old, be the front page of the magazine. I guess it still is, what else is it, but when you then click on "magazine" from there, you get the TOC with no pics at all. I still think its a bad image for this publication, whether its "fun" or not. Fluff and fun belong on the forums, not in the magazine, its just poor marketing, in my opinion.

yeah, but those on the Hunter/Jumper forum will LOVE it!!! Color and fashion are of the utmost importance

Well the article author certainly has a point. Side zips for 6 packs. Front zips for kegs.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    It seems to be on the opening page of chronofhorse.com - I thought that whould, like of old, be the front page of the magazine. I guess it still is, what else is it, but when you then click on "magazine" from there, you get the TOC with no pics at all.
    Thanks. That helps with getting to readable versions of the articles. But you can't tell which articles are from THIS issue until you clock on them.

And there are NO links (that I can find) to "In the Country" and "Letters", which are always the first things I check.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I thought the article was great.

You see, I spend many a wakeful night wondering if anyone can see my panty lines.

I go to shows just to see how many riders do in fact have visible panty lines. When I see such a sight - I point my perfectly manicured index finger at that person. At hunter shows, I laugh condescendingly. At dressage shows, I titter.

Out hunting, our Master does a panty line check instead of counting hounds. Anyone showing a panty line is excused from the field, as we all point our long, perfectly manicured index fingers at them and laugh.

Unless they carry a good single malt in their flask - then we let the offender ride with us but they have to stay in the back of the field.

I am old enough to remember when "front zips" first became available on women's cothes- not just britches, ALL pants and skirts (except some blue jeans) were only available as side zips (or soemtimes back zips).
    I considered it one of the first clothetting related results of Women's Lib. I have NO interest in going back to the unlibeberated days of side zips!
    Janet

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

Default New Game!

OK, I saw it and I laughed. I guess they are trying to get more men into COTH?
    What's next, have the Yahoo OMG! slide shows of the riders bashing them (or praising the popular ones) on their riding clothing? Red Carpet outfits for the riders???

New Game!

Since there are going to be fluff articles, how about we make our own headlines.

I'll Start:

Forget about learning to ride! We picked out the best hunter/jumper outfits that will get you noticed by the judges (in a good way) without breaking the bank....

We interviewed fashion expert Molly Big EQ/Junior Hunter rider on the most coveted riding clothing. She suggest that you get (insert insanely priced clothing) in order to get that blue ribbon.....
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

Talking Go for it, Cornelia!

I'm all for fluff and fun! I was hoping for more material on material and stain prevention. I need all the help I can get. Waterproof and wind resistant this winter, oh please help...

I guess I am rebeling against a very proper boarding school and conservative childhood where I was a shadow to my father's Senate campaigns. I want fun and color and some blaze orange to keep the deer hunters from confusing me with a chic neutral pelted fur critter.

If I can look devastatingly great while I ride and keep my adorable DH's eyes on me, then I want to hear what Cornelia has to suggest. All wiles are welcome! And then there is waterproof make-up, to consider, heh, heh

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

ZOMG! I almost forgot!

They can give Pocket Trainer her very own column!!!
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher