The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I told you they were going to delete my thread.

Below is what the mods sent me, and my reply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator 1
    We've removed your thread for review. Posting a hack for a site a few days after relaunch, while we're in the midst of implementing fixes, is not an appropriate or respectful way to voice your opinion or concerns.

Erin Bush, the New Media Director, will address it tomorrow.

Mod 1
    My answer:

The so-called 'hack' I have posted does not hurt anyone. It gives users control over their experience at the site. Since the thing you are all monetizing is eyeballs, I am actually keeping some frustrated folks from running off. Like I said, I am happy to watch ads. I have never installed an adblock tool before in my life. But your slow and content strangling redesign was just completely unusable, and no one at COTH has responded that they get that the fixed width part was the main problem. It was obvious to me what was wrong the second I loaded the first page. I wasn't very interested in a conversation, I was interested in making the site more usable for all of us, and I did, without in fact harming anyone.

I think your design / developers have seriously bungled this implementation, and I think that you know it. Running vBulletin through Drupal? It's never going to not be hopelessly slow, and the narrow fixed content column is just a smack upside the head to users. It was very smart of you to fix the type face and color, but that's not the whole issue.

Web sites are not the same thing as web applications. I have worked on interfaces for both for nearly 10 years. Your design was entirely appropriate for a web site and entirely inappropriate for a web application with a huge existing user community and long history of use and user habits, and hundreds of multipage threads. It amazes me that no one spotted the issue of stuffing a 100% wide application into a fixed-width site CMS long before launch. Really amazing.

I don't know that I'd say I was disrespectful. The site redesign is in fact disrespectful of your users, since it failed to take account of existing user habits and values -- fast loading pages, user control over viewport sizing, and very readable type.

The feature I took advantage of to let users load their own stylesheet has been around for years in many browsers. All I did was make others aware of the feature and make it possible for them to get what they want from your site -- content and participation -- without being hobbled by the bad design.

Shouldn't this experience just make you all sit back and say "Damn, these people really want to be part of this community and share their experiences and information, so much so that they are willing to spend time and effort making the site more usable for themselves?" If you look at the history of the web, short though it is, it is full of instances where those who present content and build applications have been astonished by the way the inmates insist on taking over the asylum. It is the fundamental nature of the web, and deleting my posts won't change users' desire to make the web serve their purposes on their own terms. It's like trying to keep water from flowing downhill.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

How on earth was that a hack?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Lori B - I may not like their logic, but they can't do a darn thing about what you post OUTSIDE of chronofhorse.com. I agree with sublimequine that it in no way constitutes a "hack" since it involved absolutely no alteration of the original code in place. OTOH this is a moderated site and I guess the mods can do what they like with it.

I suggest setting up a simple site, maybe at Weebly.com or wherever else, with the content of your original post. That way people can still get that information whether the mods want it regulated or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Lori B - I may not like their logic, but they can't do a darn thing about what you post OUTSIDE of chronofhorse.com. I agree with sublimequine that it in no way constitutes a "hack" since it involved absolutely no alteration of the original code in place. OTOH this is a moderated site and I guess the mods can do what they like with it.

I suggest setting up a simple site, maybe at Weebly.com or wherever else, with the content of your original post. That way people can still get that information whether the mods want it regulated or not.
    Agreed, and perhaps put a link to said site in your sig?

Lori B is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do, after I go see my pony.

sublime, they call it a 'hack' because 1) they don't know what actual hacking is, or 2) they are using the word in the sense of my technique being an unauthorized workaround of the new design's 'features'.

Since I didn't tamper in any way with the contents of their site or their webserver, it ain't a hack. I don't have those kind of skills.

I didn't see your post, but I would like to. Could you (or someone who knows) please PM me with details? The ads/width of the text area is driving me nuts.

Whatever happened to all that "free speech" we marched for in Berkeley?

Kudos to you, both for you "hack" and your well-reasoned and thoughtful reply. Hopefully COTH will take it to heart. I know that I've been spending a lot less time on the forums since the redesign.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm going to do, after I go see my pony.

sublime, they call it a 'hack' because 1) they don't know what actual hacking is, or 2) they are using the word in the sense of my technique being an unauthorized workaround of the new design's 'features'.

Since I didn't tamper in any way with the contents of their site or their webserver, it ain't a hack. I don't have those kind of skills.
    Seriously agreed. What you did =/= hacking, not even close.. what on earth are the mods talking about?

Yeah, like the old format a whole lot more. I "can" accomodate the new one, but why should we be happy with the constricted viewing? There's so much waste!

PM me as well please.

Original Poster

I may have inadvertently frightened the mods by (jokingly) referring to the user stylesheet technique as a hack, which I should NOT have done. It never occurred to me that they would mistake the technique for real hacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    I may have inadvertently frightened the mods by (jokingly) referring to the user stylesheet technique as a hack, which I should NOT have done. It never occurred to me that they would mistake the technique for real hacking.
    That's still no reason to delete the thread and act as they are.

When you get a site up with the directions, perhaps make another thread with the link. A bunch of us can all put it in our sigs. Maybe then they'll get the hint?

glad I saved it on my work computer this afternoon in case it went poof! - which it has.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

PM me please!

I always kind of liked the ads, but hate the narrow format.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    PM me please!

I always kind of liked the ads, but hate the narrow format.
    Agreed. I have no issue with the ads, as most of them I shop at anyways. But the ads are almost as wide as the useable forum space on my screen now!

Okay.... Errbody just needs to chill out. Give them some time. If we're still unhappy in a week or two THEN you can riot. Jesus, its only been up for 3 days. They're still working on it. Give them a break.
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Original Poster

I'm not rioting. I'm just sharing information. That's what the web is for. :-)

LoriB, you rock! If the folks running COTH had any brains, they would fire everyone involved in this craptastic re-disgusting-design, including whomever chose the outsourcing development company, and hire you (and a few other of the brainiac experienced web design people on this forum) instead!
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

And they changed the colors and font sizes. Yea!
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker