The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Any Ideas for this Old Gal? (UPDATE: Happy Ending!!)

'Tis the season, I guess...
    I stumbled across a Standardbred mare consigned to auction who I remember very vividly from my childhood, though I really only saw her race once or twice. I would imagine I remember her so well because she was very white! Anyway as I got older I came to find out she was actually a former world champion. Anyway as sometimes happen she was a complete flop as a broodmare (however, also as often happens, she appears to have passed something down to her daughters since one already has a million-dollar earner to her credit, but I digress..)

Anyway, fast forward to now and she is consigned as an open 23-year old broodmare. She had a foal this year but no one will talk a chance on her as a broodmare now, i wouldn't imagine. I'd love to go buy her bc she is more than likely going to bring next to nothing. And that is not a problem, I can do that, but then what? I have no place at all to keep her, nor the funds to continue to support her elsewhere. I don't have my own horse as it is. I've been making some contacts..I contacted her breeder last week, thinking as a large farm, they might be able to provide for her, but haven't heard back from them. I'm going to try to call again soon but I didn't want to be too pushy; it's not really their fault she ended up in this position. A local contact here can provide a place to stay for a little while but not indefinitely.

I guess quite honestly I've answered my own question..there aren't really options for a full-size pasture puff. Particularly ones that I don't know anything about beyond her race/performance stats. She could be mean and crippled. A good option of course if that's the case might be euthanasia but the logistics of that from an auction, I wouldn't even begin to know.

I gues in the long run if I can't do anything, I can't do anything but thought it wouldn't hurt to see if anyone had some other ideas to bounce around.
    Last edited by Big_Tag; Dec. 8, 2009 at 02:18 PM.

Why don't you contact some rescues?

Or, you could ask around and see if anyone have a small family farm that you could keep her at, and you could do self care board or something?

You could also see if someone would be interested in partial ownership, someone who just wants to help out this mare.

Good Luck!

You know we will help enable you. This old girl deserves better than what she's getting.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

who and where is she?

We've donated our own to New Vocations previously, I just know they're usually fairly full and I don't know how interested they would be in placing such an old and presumably unridden mare. I can contact them, though. Maybe they'd be interested given she does have a pretty stellar race record..might be nice for someone to have a former world champion in their barn I know they usually ask for a donation which is completely understandable but if I need to buy and ship her, truthfully I don't know what kind of donation I can come up with. I know the SRF has a big wait list but I can check out some others. I was kind of discouraged from checking out rescues bc they have their hands full with young, rideable types..at least that's what I was told.

I didn't post specifics on her bc I didn't want to run anyone's name through the mud. It wouldn't be hard to come up with her current owner and previous owners and breeders and I'm not laying the blame with anyone (except maybe the current one!)

Default Hmm.

I was told today by an Adoption Agency that the kill buyers won't take her because she is grey..I guess having to do with the possibility of melanomas. I didn't know this! So I guess that's good, though I'm not sure who else would bid on her.

A good option of course if that's the case might be euthanasia but the logistics of that from an auction, I wouldn't even begin to know.
    If you go that route, I was with folks at New Holland one time who bought a poor, old, crippled (broken leg that healed terribly) pony that no one wanted and had the auction vet there put him to sleep for a pretty nominal fee.

Can you try contacting the breeder? I am not familiar with STB racing but I know the Hanover shoe people in PA are very active into rescue and retiring. Maybe her breeder is as well. If not contact Hanover shoe farm anyway, I know they are major softies.

Contact the breeder - many farms, including Hanover Shoe will take back the mares they bred or raced and retired them.

Who is she, BTW??
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Where is she, and who is she?
    please and thank you!

Those of you telling the OP to contact the breeder....they have:

.I contacted her breeder last week, thinking as a large farm, they might be able to provide for her, but haven't heard back from them. I'm going to try to call again soon but I didn't want to be too pushy; it's not really their fault she ended up in this position.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tag View Post
    I was told today by an Adoption Agency that the kill buyers won't take her because she is grey..I guess having to do with the possibility of melanomas. I didn't know this! So I guess that's good, though I'm not sure who else would bid on her.
    I've never heard that. And I really find it very hard to believe, given that the kill-buyers at New Holland don't seem so picky. Once in a while, there will be a post or two on this board claiming that kill-buyers aren't interested in ponies or mini's, and that's definitely not true either (they may PREFER horses or drafts, but they very obviously take anything and everything of any size, age, or condition -- skinny or not).

Perhaps it's true in some areas of the country though. Where is this mare located?

If you want more info on how low-end auctions work (or how New Holland works anyway, which is a very active kill-buyers' auction), you can check with Another Chance 4 Horses (www.ac4h.com) or ask on their Yahoo discussion group. That would also be a good place to help spread the word on this mare and possibly find her a home.

She is in Ohio, her Name is Keystone Wallis (p,2,1:55.3f; 3,1:56h by Albatross. World Champion and Stakes Winner of
    $618,256).
    I tried to contact her breeder again; no luck. SRF and New Vocations are full. I don't know her current owner at all so I can't really make a judgement on the motives but I DO know she is part of a liquidation of their open mares. Open mares overall don't sell well @ this sale. The fact that she is 23, well...even more so. She did foal this year but even assuming she could be bred, no one will take that chance. She hasn't produced squat (except as I said through her daughters).

My hands are tied. All I have are the means to buy her and a place to keep her as a layover. I suppose the euthanasia wouldn't be the worst thing but quite honestly, if she's in good health and soundness and a sweetheart..talk about a heartbreaker.

I need a farm

Default Now let's think about this ....

Hi Big Tag,
    She sounds interesting. Would it be worthwhile posting this on the driving forum? Would she possibly be a viable candidate for pleasure driving? I know nothing about driving. Not sure if that is any possiblity? I know numerous people with old thoroughbreds -- late 20s/30 that still "ride around at the farm". Could she do some gentle driving or is all she know is "racing"?
    When is the auction taking place and where is it? Would be nice to try and find an old champion a soft place to fall.

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

I've forwarded the link to this thread to a lady that is a Standardbred fan. Hopefully, she will come up with something.

Too bad she is so far away. We love the oldies but goodies!
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by gingersnap View Post
    Hi Big Tag,
    She sounds interesting. Would it be worthwhile posting this on the driving forum? Would she possibly be a viable candidate for pleasure driving? I know nothing about driving. Not sure if that is any possiblity? I know numerous people with old thoroughbreds -- late 20s/30 that still "ride around at the farm". Could she do some gentle driving or is all she know is "racing"?
    When is the auction taking place and where is it? Would be nice to try and find an old champion a soft place to fall.
    I mean..theoretically yes, she could drive. I know a lot of people do use STBs for pleasure driving. Again, I don't know much about her..she might be unsound, though it doesn't appear an injury ended her career.. and I can nearly guarantee she hasn't worn one in roughly 19 years, but I'm sure she'd still remember how to don a harness Every Albatross I've ever been around has been handsome and well-behaved, but who really knows?

There is Our Mims Retirement Haven which is esp. for retired broodmares. I know that they have a waiting list but you might contact Jeanne to see if she has any ideas on placement.

Wish I could help but I am tapped out right now on money, space, and time!
    ~ Shannon Hayden ~

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    If you go that route, I was with folks at New Holland one time who bought a poor, old, crippled (broken leg that healed terribly) pony that no one wanted and had the auction vet there put him to sleep for a pretty nominal fee.
    Better to do this than to have her go be starved or crammed in a truck to go to slaughter.
    Whatever happened to retiring old horses? Especially one who has more than paid for her own retirement costs.
    If you can, send her to a retirement farm, buy her, send her to a retirement farm , pay the monthly costs there and work at finding her a retirement home. I don't know about STB mares, but old ottb mares have a lot of get up and go, and make great riding horses.
    The old STB at our barn is a riding horse.

1/ YES Kill buyers do buy grey horses. They buy them for less (due to the melanoma issue) and often may send them to Mexico (I'll refrain from thanking the HSUS for that one...)

2/ WHY is SRF refusing to take horses? Sigh. I worked there years back . I know too much.

3/ Call Hanover Shoe Farm and speak to Russell Williams and let him know that you are desperate, the story of this grand old mare, and that SRF says "Nope, sorry." He's a great guy. Here's the farm number:
    717-637-8931

Thanks for helping this mare.