The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Selling horse - who buys what for transition?

OK so my horse is sold, the lady is coming to pick him up on Saturday.

What am I expected to send with her? I've told her I'll send his turnout rug, and all the products that will spoil before I get another horse (fly spray, liniment, etc). He gets fed 2 meals daily as part of his board and I feed an additional meal at my cost; I've told her I'll send the TC Senior, beet pulp, and all supplements that I have left with her. He's been treated for ulcers too, so I was planning on buying a tube of Ulcerguard to give the day before and the day of shipping. But he'll probably need more than 4 days. I'm giving him de-wormer the day she comes because he's due that day, and having the vet out for the health certificate this week, since he's crossing state lines.

Do I need to buy a bag or 2 of the feed from the barn? Will I need to send a halter with him (I had sortof hoped to keep his for sentimental reasons)? What about shipping wraps - something she should bring, or something I should send? Do I buy another tube of Ulcerguard?

I really just have no clue what's expected. I'm selling for financial reasons, so I'd like to keep my costs low, but at the same time the buyer hasn't haggled with me and is providing a great home. I don't want to make her angry, but I don't want to spend too much $.

What do you think? Thanks everyone

Wow you are being super generous! When I sell mine they get sent with a crappy old halter and lead I can find laying around, and if the new person is lucky whatever rug they had on (only if its older and won't work for any of my others). They bought the horse, its not up to you to still feed and outfit it, but that is very nice of you. When I buy a horse I even bring a halter with me, I don't expect anything to come with the horse except for 4 legs and a tail.

Holy s**t!! What????

Helloooo tell them to bring their own halter and lead. period.

p.s. buyer pays for health certificate! Usually done if vetted. I can see sending anything that might spoil, but that would sure mean them bringing their own halter to use!!
    Last edited by babecakes; Nov. 10, 2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added

I think that's about it! I would expect him to come with a halter if I didn't provide one, and that's about it. I can see where you're coming from on the feed and suppliments, and other supplies you either won't need or will need to be thrown out before you get another horse, but I wouldn't buy extra food or provide more ulcer medication--she knows what he's getting, right?

My horse came with the halter he was wearing and a bit of the food he'd been eating so I could transition him over.

It didn't occur to me to ask for anything else. Of course, she has several other horses still so I'm sure most of her supplies were shared and he didn't have his "own" stuff to go with him anyway.

A halter.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

IME you get a halter and a lead rope *if* you don't bring your own, and most people are curteous enough to bring their own. Anything else would be gravy but absolutely not required/expected. The only thing I'd expect would be information--for example, I would expect to be reminded ahead of time that he is currently eating X, currently getting Y supplements, and has Z special needs. How the new owner cares to meet those needs is her problem.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    Wow you are being super generous! When I sell mine they get sent with a crappy old halter and lead I can find laying around, and if the new person is lucky whatever rug they had on (only if its older and won't work for any of my others). They bought the horse, its not up to you to still feed and outfit it, but that is very nice of you. When I buy a horse I even bring a halter with me, I don't expect anything to come with the horse except for 4 legs and a tail.

The leagaleeze in Illinois says they must have a halter - that is all.

You should dig out an old halter to send along. The buyer MUST know how to care for THEIR animal! Do not do it for them or they will never know.

I send a halter - usually one i no longer want - and a list of medical history and what they eat - period.

You are doing too much!

In some states, I believe you are required to include a halter or halter and lead with the purchase of a horse. If you're very sentimental about his, and only have the one, I'd ask her if she'd be okay with letting you keep it ahead of time, since she's probably expecting to take him home in his.

All of the horses I've purchased have come with their own halter. One free horse did not (which was fine, we're swimming in halters here). One came with a halter, lead, and leftover supplements. One came with a halter and cribbing collar. One was due for deworming, and came with a halter and a tube of ivermectin.

I agree, you're being very generous. Best of luck to everyone involved!

I don't provide a halter and lead if they pick them up. If they were getting shipped, I'd send a halter and lead I didn't mind never seeing again.

That's it. If I wanted to send half a bag of 'his' feed, I'd do so.

Nothing else. They bought a HORSE, not a horse and a bunch of stuff.

1. Halter
    2. Medical history - last time they got shots, what shots they got, last time they were wormed and what exactly they were wormed with, Name & phone # of my of Vet, etc.
    3. Last time they had teeth done
    4. Any medication they need - I'd probably give them what is left unless another horse I owned needed it (or if the new owner was a jerk - but then I probably wouldn't sell horse to them).
    5. I usually provide 2 feedings for any transition and what feed they've been getting (name, % protein, manufacturer).
    Sandy in Fla.

Oh yeah, I was also given his still-current Coggins results when I got him.

Whoa, next time you're selling a horse, I want one! I will send along extras, for a price. Horse comes with halter (and a cheap one at that). If they want a nice leather turnout halter, they can pay for it. Leftovers that would have been thrown out, OK I can see that.

I sure wouldn't have thrown in the turnout...if they wanted it, they could have bought it from you.

The ulcer meds I would treat differently. I would ask them if they want you to purchase enough for them to get over the transition AND they can pay you for them when they pick him up.

If they're buying the horse, they're responsible for his upkeep. Plain and simple. If you don't think they are able or willing to do that and you're that concerned about it, you shouldn't have sold him to them.

I can see sending specialized supplements/drugs you happen to have on hand that you're not going to be using for another horse, or perhaps offering tack that has been custom-made for the horse with the horse (for lots extra $$$ on the deal of course), but anything else, no.

Adding to everything else, I wouldn't deworm the day the horse was leaving. If the horse has a reaction or think of the reduced water intake, nerves (already said he's on ulcer meds) and such. Deworming is a chemical medical process and I prefer to do it when the weather is stable and the horse's day is routine. Either do it a few days in advance of shipping or tell the new owner that he will be due a few days after moving when he settles in and offer to sell the tube to them if you've bought it already. Freebies are a gift, not a requirement. The last horses I've sold or given away either have a halter go with them only or the new owner has the option of buying things that were specifically for that horse (as was the case with my one and only draft cross, new person bought the bridle, bits, blankets, etc). The rescue who left this weekend I did send a midweight with, but the heart strings were involved with that one so the purse strings were not so tight

I usually sent mine with halter, bridle (because all 3 had custom fitting bridles), 1/2 bag of feed, and medical history like last shots, worming, shoeing, teeth, etc. I sent sheets and blankets with one because they weren't all that $$$ and wouldn't fit any of my other horses.

I wouldn't worm the day before or on shipping day. Worming can upset their systems a little bit, and you don't want to add that on top of the stress of shipping / new environment, etc. If you can't worm him at least 3 days before he goes, give the wormer to new owner so she can do it once he seems settled in.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

No, No on the wormer. Give it to the new owner if you don't have anyone else to use it on. We always give horses the day off on worming day. Don't want to worm and then stress with trailering.

Now, on the other side, I worm new horses when they get here. They get isolation for a week, wormer and temp taken daily.

Oh my... If I sold horses like that I'd be in the poor house quick!

My horses go with a leather halter with name plate (if they have one, if not they go with a new nylon one) and enough food to transition them over to the new feed.

They also go with a coggins.

That's it! Unless they have something specific I won't be using for anyone else... supplement or whatever. But that's in very very rare cases.

Generally horses I've bought have come with just a halter. I got a turnout blanket once, and sometimes food. A high dollar reiner I bought came with supplements.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

The horses I have bought have all come with a halter and maybe a lead rope. Almost always both have duct tape somewhere on them
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Only one of mine came with a halter, and not a very respectable one at that. (IE, a piece of braided baling twine for the "lead rope") The other one would have come with something similar, but I brought my own.

They both came with negative Coggins. No other records besides that. (Although these were, to be fair, just auction ponies, not well-loved private ponies.) Oh, and one came with three shoes!

When I sold my mare, she went with her halter, which had her name plate on it, and her lead rope. We also sent her with her blankets....they were HUGE and would never fit another horse I had, and plus they were inherited from her previous owner, and therefore older and not worth much anyway. She got a bale of our hay to tide her over, and a list of what grains she was getting. And that's it.