The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default first lesson on a schoolmaster :)

I having my first ever lesson on a lovely schoolmaster horse this weekend I'm very excited and also a little nervous!! I love the instructor, and he (the horse) is a wise old fellow who has a lot to teach. As I've posted before, I'm bringing along my 4 year old, at our own snail-pace. He's been doing fabulous, I'm getting my nerves under control, and we're starting to have so much fun! I've decided to take lessons on this horse to improve, well, everything Unfortunately I can only commit to one or two lessons a month with the schoolmaster due to time and money, but I'm still very excited to see how this will help me with my youngster. I've ridden some of my friend's older horses, but none with the training that this guy has. I'm sure it will be a whole new world for me! I think it will be nice to be able to focus on exactly what I need to be doing to improve, instead of 50% on me and 50% on keeping baby horse's mind in the ring Just wanted to share, and wish me luck!

Congrats and good luck!

Have fun! You will remember this experience for the rest of your life..... it will change you as a rider.

Don't get discouraged if you feel like you cant ride your way out of a paper bag. Schoolmasters have a way of humbling even the humble! The first time I rode my GP schoolmaster, I couldn't get him to canter, then I couldn't get him to stop cantering..... and then I could get him to stay on the same lead for more than two strides! lol! He would also trot with one diagonal pair of legs and passage with the other. I felt terminally clueless!

I got the message. I had A LOT to learn. He patiently went about the arduous task of teaching me to ride. he was (and still is) worth his weight in gold.

have a great lesson!

Wow. My brain is swimming from my lesson yesterday. What an incredible experience! The schoolmaster horse is a 20 year old PSG gelding, who's been there done that. He showed me that my young horse's willing happy-go-lucky attitude compensates a great deal for my imbalance. School master horse is MUCH MORE particular I learned that my right hip is somewhat locked, pelvis crooked, and I tend to collapse my inside ribs on the circle. I learned about diagonal seat bone aids, and how that affects the bend, and much, much more. I felt totally incompetent at first, but when I learned the right way to ask, the response was immediate. So cool. I have a lot of homework to do, but it'll be great to be able to bring my horse along the right way, as I learn. I'm in no hurry (thankfully, cuz it's going to be a looong process!) I can only do twice a month lessons with the schoolmaster, but I think it'll be amazing!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Good for you!

I am the last person on the planet who wanted to admit it, but I think it is incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to progress past a certain point if you don't have the opportunity to ride a horse who already knows it.

I hate to admit it, because it's way, way out of reach for lots of folks, financially, geographically, etc.

But it makes a dramatic difference.

Keep a journal of your lessons. You will go back to it for the rest of your life when you hit certain roadblocks with different horses.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

If it's at all possible, try to get those lessons videotaped. I've been amazed at how much I didn't hear the first time around ... it was difficult to wrap my head around all the things in my body that needed to be addressed and the videos helped maximize the lesson over non-riding weeks!
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

I hate to admit it, because it's way, way out of reach for lots of folks, financially, geographically, etc.
    Yes, this is why I can only do once or twice a month lessons. They are 1 1/2 drive away and my budget is also very tight right now. I just really want to do the best that I can for my young horse, and I've already gotten more than monies worth out of just this one lesson. I believe that I can actually ride a round-ish circle now
    I'm going to get my husband to video tape my next one, and I did start a journal to keep track of what we did.
    it was difficult to wrap my head around all the things in my body that needed to be addressed and the videos helped maximize the lesson over non-riding weeks!
    I was amazed at how many things in my body that needed work. It's difficult to think about all of the different things at once, but bit-by-bit it'll come. It also seems like fixing one thing will fix another...like if I get my hip loosened, that will help my shoulders level, etc.