The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jingles for Pi please ... Update - stitches come out tomorrow!

Good morning fellow COTH friends I've posted a lot about Pirate, my 1/2 blind mustang cross horse that has Squamous Cell Carcinoma on the eyelid of his good eye. We're asking for jingles this morning because he goes in for surgery to remove the tumor at 10:45 am CST .... hoping all goes well and he keeps his eye!

That said ... coming to Missouri has been by and far the best decision I've made in a long time. As we were standing there waiting for the opthamologist, a neurological intern walked by and noticed his head tilt - which we've always attributed to his blindness. That sent the evaluation in an entirely new direction as they then noticed he had nystagmus as well. We consented to a full neurological workup in additiona to the opthamological exam. And now we finally have answers about Pi ... he has peripheral vestibular disease probably caused by severe trauma to his head at some point. In addition, he is completely deaf in his right ear, completely blind in his right eye. He has about 30% vision in his left eye (cataracts in both eyes) and his left eye is also rotated down so he is always looking at the ground. The nystagmus means he can't focus on the horizon so he doesn't really have any kind of spacial awareness.

I have to admit ... at the end of the neurological exam I got big warm fuzzies. I, of course, have always thought Pi was "amazing" because of how far he's come with trusting people, and how wonderful he is under saddle now. But to hear a neurologist at a major University vet school start his presentation to me with "Well, all I can say is this horse is nothing short of amazing" ... made me feel so good. They do not believe it was caused by EPM because we never treated EPM and because of all his scarring and damage, but to go from his severe head tilt when I got him and the complete wasting he had of his right side, not even able to hold up his left hind hoof because he had no balance, to where he is now - straight, balanced, free moving... then add in that he has nearly no vision and only limited hearing but he pastures fine, trail rides alone, is a pretty talented dressage horse, and even loves to JUMP ... jumped a set of barrells for the first time yesterday even ... well ... yeah. Amazing.

Anyway ... surgery is coming up, so I'm heading to the hospital. Should be an easy surgery - expected to be a standing surgery, though of course there are always risks of complications. If all goes well we can head back to Sioux Falls tomorrow with the cancer gone. I'll update after he's up and moving again!
    Last edited by Tif_Ann; Nov. 20, 2009 at 05:51 PM.

HUGE JINGLES for your very special boy!

I'm sure he'll come through surgery with *flying colors*. He sounds like one amazing guy!

Adding my major jingles for this AMAZING horse

Huge Jingles for your amazing Pi! May he be cancer free and have a long and happy life with you!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Massive jingles from me and Willie - my "amazing horse" who seems to have somehow survived cushings, laminitis and three surgeries/w complications to remove penile SCC.
    JINGLE, JINGLE, JINGLE that all goes well for your wonder boy!!!! And hugs for you for believing in your horse.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Jingles for Pi - Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Pi's surgery went well! We were able to stay as a standing surgery - no need for general - and it was pretty uneventful. Cool though! Once the tumor was out they did cryotherapy and then three stitches later it was all closed up. Had to wait for him to wake up and make sure he was doing well but it went so well they let me take him home late last night instead of making him stay overnight. Nine hours in a trailer later he's set up in a stall for his two weeks of rest and aftercare!

Great news ! Keep us updated as he recovers - he sounds like a very cool horse.

Jingles continue for Pi's full recovery ~ he must be glad to be home !

Continued jingles from Willie and me in VA!
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

I am so glad that went well! I just realized, I don't even know where Univ of Missouri is, but that is great to know it is a good place to go.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Some horses are amazing and yours seem to be one of those.

Hoping all goes well with the recovery.

Some owners are amazing and you seem to be one of those. Goodluck...you both need somm by now.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    I am so glad that went well! I just realized, I don't even know where Univ of Missouri is, but that is great to know it is a good place to go.
    It's in Columbia, Missouri ... and a great teaching hospital. We made the trip from Sioux Falls just because they are so good.

He's doing really well ... no swelling, the eye looks great so far. I'm so happy you have no idea

I figure Pirate is hear to teach me about humility and resilience and the ability to overcome anything ... if nothing else

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Jingles for a full recovery, and give yourself a big pat on the back for helping this amazing horse.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I'm very excited - Pirate's stitches come out in the morning! He has done so well ... no swelling, no infection, etc., and he is FULL of energy. It almost makes me think that the cancer had worn him down some, he's so hot now. It's great! Hopefully he'll be off stall rest tomorrow and back in training!

Great news !! Hooray for Pirate!!! Enjoy !!!!

Pirate is going out tomorrow.......our stall manager says she will never allow him to have a stall as long as she runs the barn....something about him being a PIG!!!!

BTW...Tif_Ann is my sister