The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Glycerine soap vs castile soap for tack cleaning

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • glycerine soap

13 39.39%
  • castile soap

16 48.48%
  • other

4 12.12%

Default spinoff: glycerine vs castile soap for tack cleaning?

Hi! I've always been taught to use glycerine soap on your tack (i use the bars) and castile soap (i use Kirk's) on your boots. Never really heard of anyone using castile on their saddle to be honest, until this recent thread about tack cleaning products..

So, out of curiosity (and because if it would be better to clean my saddle with my castile soap) what are the pros and cons of each? My saddle has held up very well, and as far as I can tell there have been no negative affects from any of my cleaning.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I always clean my tack with castile soap. I don't like the tackiness that glycerine soap leaves.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I'm a Kirk's fan (obviously from the other thread). Once you clean with Kirk's or similar, you'll notice the difference
    Y'all ain't right!

I buy massive amounts of Kirk's. I use it for tack, boots and myself. Seriously! I have been known to use glycerine bars, but it does leave a certain tackiness. I don't find the with Castile soap.

Castile to clean, glycerine to seal / condition.

I just googled Kirks soaps if I decide to try castile soap I assume I need to use the bar??? dumb question I know but its early and I work nights so help me out without laughing too hard please!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hellerkm View Post
    I just googled Kirks soaps if I decide to try castile soap I assume I need to use the bar??? dumb question I know but its early and I work nights so help me out without laughing too hard please!
    I use liquid castile soap - something along the lines of Dr. Bronner's.

I use the bars. I keep them in those travel soap containers and they're pretty darned handy!
    Y'all ain't right!

Glycerine Bars. -- If it feels tacky or leaves a film, you used too much foam and/or didn't rinse well enough.

I was very fortunate to be taught how to clean tack by a custom saddle maker (Jim Overdorfer from the old Westbury Saddlery on LI). A bar of glycerine went with every saddle he made.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    Fourmares is correct, its a common misconception that glycerine is to clean, its the final step after cleaning. While I love castile soap, for everyday cleaning I use the Effax Leder Combi with an occasion heavier cleaning with castile. I seal/condition with glycerine but not after every cleaning (since I constantly clean my tack), I dislike the tackiness of it but love the beautiful gloss it leaves, nothing is prettier than good leather polished with glycerine.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Fourmares is correct, its a common misconception that glycerine is to clean, its the final step after cleaning. While I love castile soap, for everyday cleaning I use the Effax Leder Combi with an occasion heavier cleaning with castile. I seal/condition with glycerine but not after every cleaning (since I constantly clean my tack), I dislike the tackiness of it but love the beautiful gloss it leaves, nothing is prettier than good leather polished with glycerine.
    EXACTLY! too many people use glycerin to clean- which is not correct! it's used as a sealant/waterproofer- not as a cleaner.

Most rides, I just use a damp sponge on the bridle (clean water) to get the dust and sweat residue off. I ride 40 minutes or so, stay dry, not alot of dust, horse does not sweat that much.

About every third ride I use a little glycerine AFTER wiping it off with clean water.

My saddle, I just wipe the dust off most days. I like water with just a little ammonia as a cleaner then any number of available leather conditioning products after it's clean. I do watch the underside for signs of dryness and use a good saddle oil-I like Effax. Obviously, when it was newer, I did that more often. These days it stays pretty decent.

I find my bridles, especially, get overconditioned if I do any more then that...and gets downright slimy if it's humid. A little clean water on a clean sponge, condition only as needed and glycerine ONLY when it is squeaky clean-otherwise it's like waxing a dirty floor.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Same here, both!

YEPYEPYEP!!! Glad I'm not the only one who does this.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I definitely prefer Castile soap to glycerine for tack cleaning. Glycerine leaves a residue/film that Castile does not.

That said, I recently started using the Effax Ledercream and it does the cleaning/conditioning all in one. Love it!!! No sticky residue but not slippery, leaves tack gleaming and smells divine too.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Most rides, I just use a damp sponge on the bridle (clean water) to get the dust and sweat residue off. I ride 40 minutes or so, stay dry, not alot of dust, horse does not sweat that much.

About every third ride I use a little glycerine AFTER wiping it off with clean water.

My saddle, I just wipe the dust off most days. I like water with just a little ammonia as a cleaner then any number of available leather conditioning products after it's clean. I do watch the underside for signs of dryness and use a good saddle oil-I like Effax. Obviously, when it was newer, I did that more often. These days it stays pretty decent.

I find my bridles, especially, get overconditioned if I do any more then that...and gets downright slimy if it's humid. A little clean water on a clean sponge, condition only as needed and glycerine ONLY when it is squeaky clean-otherwise it's like waxing a dirty floor.
    You know, this is a good point! At the barn I wipe bridles and girths off with a damp sponge (water only) about half the time and use Kirk's the other half. Down here the humidity really does tend to make tack gross quickly if there's too much gunk on it Unfortunately, it's the same humidity that makes the beasties sweat like pigs and the dirt stick to everything!
    Y'all ain't right!

ditto that! and for more conditioning, 1- castile to clean, 2 - chelsea leather conditioner, oakwood, or passier lederbasalm to condition 3. glycerine to seal/protect

but i always start with castile and end with glycerine for a real cleaning. (unless i'm doing a superfast one- step wipe n swipe for the daily cleanup - then yes i only use glycerine)

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    A little clean water on a clean sponge, condition only as needed and glycerine ONLY when it is squeaky clean-otherwise it's like waxing a dirty floor.
    oops! good to know, thanks find eight. sometimes i cheat with just glycerine when i'm feeling too lazy to do two steps. thanks for the metaphor - it'll keep me more honest