The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Heated Bed for Barn Cat??

I have two wonderful barn cats, Molly and Spooky. Spooky is pretty wild and prefers to sleep outside even in the coldest part of winter. Thankfully, he makes his bed in our old farm truck when it snows. I put a bunch of old blankets on the front seat so he can burrow in them to stay warm.

Molly prefers to sleep in the feed room when it gets cold in her cat bed. Last year for X-mas she got a space heater for the feed room. We usually turn it on when it gets near freezing. I am thinking of getting both cats a heated bed from Walmart. They say they are for outdoor use and use very low watts.

I am a freak about fire hazards and I am always concerned about barn fire safety. Has anyone had any experience with these beds........either good or bad?

Thanks!

We have heated beds for our barn kitties in the winter too! They both love those beds, even though they are locked in the grainroom at night so it's not that cold. Pretty much those beds are the only place you will find them in the winter. Had them going on 4 years and no issue with the beds or the power. As for fire hazard I would be way more concerned about an issue with a space heater then those beds. They don't get THAT hot. Just nice and comfy, more like the butt heaters they have in cars now.

I think the heated bed is a nice concept....I generally worry about something chewing on the cord....but also, thats not generally a worry with cats haha.

My barn cats have disappeared, but when they were here, I set up a heat lamp clipped to the barn frame above a big old comforter. The bulb kept the area and comforter pretty warm for them.

Most of the time, I find my house cats (who are indoor/outdoor) curled up on the hubby's felt western pad haha.

I'm thinking about this too.

Every winter I make a little cocoon bed with a fleece for my amazing barn cat and he totally adores it.

Every morning he is curled up in there and he spends a lot of the day in there as well.

I think he would appreciate a heated bed!

We had an outdoor cat when I was a kid. Dad build kitty the nicest, warmest box in the garage - used a cardboard box, lined it with styrofoam on all sides, stuffed it with hay. Kitty would crawl in, curl up, and it would be so warm inside. The trick was to make it relatively snug so kitty's body heat warmed the box. Kitty was *always* in that box.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Default Get the Disks!

You can buy those disks that you heat in the microwave if you are worried about cords and electricity in the barn.

The disks really work! You heat them, depending on the brand, 4 minutes or 3 minutes on high, place under some of the bedding, and they stay hot for hours. If the cat gets on it right away, they stay hotter, longer. My cats use them in the house. If you buy multiple disks, you can double the heat output overnight in the barn.
    They are in all the cat catalogues. The ones I buy are bright pink and have lasted for years. I didn't buy the "cover" which is extra, as putting them under blankets is good enough. They are hard but kitties love them!
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Nov. 9, 2009 at 06:23 PM.

Thumbs up

I have several. I have them plugged into a trip plug that will trip if they over heat. I also have the beds on a cement floor with nothing near them just in case.

They LOVE them!!!

I think there are some "space blanket" type material that will reflect body heat and warm up kitty that way. Good for you thinking of your cat's comfort this winter.

Thumbs up Disks are GREAT !!!

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    You can buy those disks that you heat in the microwave if you are worried about cords and electricity in the barn.

The disks really work! You heat them, depending on the brand, 4 minutes or 3 minutes on high, place under some of the bedding, and they stay hot for hours. If the cat gets on it right away, they stay hotter, longer. My cats use them in the house. If you buy multiple disks, you can double the heat output overnight in the barn.
    They are in all the cat catalogues. The ones I buy are bright pink and have lasted for years. I didn't buy the "cover" which is extra, as putting them under blankets is good enough. They are hard but kitties love them!
    I recommend the disks also - you can find them in the Dr. Smith and Fosters Cat catalog ~ I heat them and then wrap them in a pillow case and place inbetween a horse blanket for the barn cats ~ last all night !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Thanks for all the replies!!

Here is the one I am thinking of buying from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=12389554

It looks pretty safe to me from the description.

Molly really loves her regular bed so I am sure she will love a heated bed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondindykin View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!!

Here is the one I am thinking of buying from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=12389554

It looks pretty safe to me from the description.

Molly really loves her regular bed so I am sure she will love a heated bed!!
    I have a heated pad similar to this, and it works great! I have not had any problems with it. The cord on mine is steel-wrapped and is well-protected from chewing, etc.

We have one, but I keep it in the garage. The cats spend the day in the barn, and if it's cold, the night in the garage. Keeps the mice down in the house, too. I'm really a nut case about leaving anything other than heated buckets or fans plugged in because we have our hay in the loft above the stalls. Everything's plugged into GFCI outlets, but....