The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WWYD- package recieved accidently

So here's my story. I bought two t/o sheets from an online company a month ago. They kept backordering on me so I finally emailed and said, please refund and cancel order and went out and bought at a tack store. They apologized and canceled/refunded immediately. My acct was credited 24hrs later. Now, come Friday. I arrive home from work to find the sheets delivered to my door. Whoa. Being the honest person I am, I emailed immediately (they don't have a ph#) what had happened and how to return. I have not yet heard back from the company. I looked into mailing them back but its going to cost me $20 given where they need to go and how much they weigh. Not thrilled with that idea, but not thrilled to be in possession of unpaid items. What would you do? I'm wondering if UPS has a "return to sender" policy.

You need to try harder to get a hold of them to return them. They will send a UPS call tag. I would say if they do not contact you in 30 days they are yours to keep. Otherwise too me it's the same as stealing.

Given the circumstances, I'd also try harder to get a hold of them. I do believe most 'return to sender' options only work (free) if you have not opened the package (but don't quote me! haha).

I agree though that after 30 days and a realistic effort on your part to get the items returned, then they're all yours.

I mistakenly received an entire case of Sore No More liniment years ago. I called the company and they said it would cost them more to issue a return, than the product was worth. They thanked me for my honesty, and told me to share the SNM with my horsey friends. I was just concerned that some other poor Cindy hadn't received her order
    Cindy

Contact the shipper. Most allow you to "reject" or "refuse" a shipment.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Ebay.

Try one more time to get ahold of them then consider it yours.

Contact the shipper and ask if you can reject the package. Try contacting the company and tell them what happened. They will likely mail you a return shipping label.

If they don't get back to you and issue a call tag, I'd donate them to an equine rescue.

I would not feel right selling them unless that is what they suggest you do.

Given the glut of heinous, incompetent and plain old rude instances of customer service out there, I'd go way out of my way to work with a company that had treated me well. Don't make them regret that.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

When I was in college and lived off campus, the girl that lived there before me said weird things happened with the mail in that house, like you got stuff you didn't order. The name she told me it would come addressed to was the name of the girl who lived there before her, and who was unreachable. I was like ok whatever, didn't think too much of it. Well, a couple months after moving in I got an epilator (like a razor, only more painful) in the mail, addressed to the original girl. I called the company, but they said it had been paid for and that my address was the address on the "shipping" section. Then I started getting those Fruit of the Month things? Like where every month you get like 10 grapefruits, or 20 oranges, or whatever. When I contacted the company, they said they could not tell me who paid, since I didn't know the secret question or have the right email or whatever. I also got a vibrator, from one of those plain brown wrapper secret companies. I always wondered if that girl was ordering stuff, too dumb to change her address, and pissed she never got it? Or did she disappear and friends/ family (and apparently lovers) just assumed she never called them to thank them?

I say keep the stuff, unless they contact you looking for it. How many times do we overpay for everything horse-related? It's about time you got something free.

The stuff belongs to the mail-order company. Wait for them to tell you what to do.

Another vote for continue trying to contact them. They have to have a phone number some where.

If after a month they do not get back to you with you giving it a good try to get in touch with them consider the sheets yours.

Default Return it - You'll Feel Better!

Just drop the package back off at a UPS office and tell them that you have refused the order. If you opened the package just tape it back up. Write refused and return to sender all over the box and that should do it.

If there is no UPS office nearby I think Kinkos has UPS drop or you can just stick it in or on top of a UPS box in front of an office building.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I sent another email today. They honestly don't have a phone #. If you check their website they say they only do business by email. So I guess I just wait. I haven't even opened the packages, so UPS return to sender is possible. I will ask the UPS driver that comes by my office today about it. I knew what they were, no need to open them up.

I am upset that some of you mentioned it as stealing, as I made no mention of keeping them or making no effort to return them. But if the company makes no effort to take them back, then what do I do? I guess I will just wait and see.

I really feel that "stealing" is just a twee bit over the top. The OP did say she immediately tried to get in contact with the company and then asked here, which is hardly the "same as stealing."

OP, make a reasonable effort to contact them. 2-3 emails, then wait 30 days. If they don't get back to you, give up. If you don't need the blankets, donate them.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Go to whois.com and run a search on the domain name. Sometimes you get lucky and the telephone contact is for the companies, other times you'll only get the web site hosting service. It's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterrain View Post
    Well, a couple months after moving in I got an epilator (like a razor, only more painful) in the mail, addressed to the original girl. I called the company, but they said it had been paid for and that my address was the address on the "shipping" section. Then I started getting those Fruit of the Month things? Like where every month you get like 10 grapefruits, or 20 oranges, or whatever. When I contacted the company, they said they could not tell me who paid, since I didn't know the secret question or have the right email or whatever. I also got a vibrator, from one of those plain brown wrapper secret companies.
    I obviously lived in the wrong off-campus apartments!

Since you have not opened the package UPS will return it to the shipper at no cost to you. Take it to your nearest UPS dropoff location or give it to your UPS driver when he comes to your neighborhood. You can also schedule a package pick up with them.

Company sent email today!! Will be sending call tag for pickup and told me I will be blessed with good karmah. Weight off my shoulder. Oh happy day. LOL.

BTW, it is absolutely not stealing from a legal perspective. Unordered merchandise sent through the mail belongs to the recipient under Federal Law.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...cts/pro15.shtm

It is illegal for the shipper to demand payment, and the recipient is under no legal obligation to even tell the shipper they possess the item, much less return it.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!