The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stifle Injections - Concerning

Hi All, My horse has been off in his left hind leg. After blocking, ultrasound and radiographs, the decision was made to inject both stifles. This was done last TH. On Sunday, I sat on him and he felt significantly worse than he did before his stifles were injected. I did call the vet first thing this am and I am to watch him. He does not appear lame enough to be cooking a joint infection, but of course, that is a concern. Has anyone else had a similar experience after an injection..as in, it gets worse before it gets better?

Thanks, fg

What did you inject him with?

In my very limited experience, stifles seem to take longer than other joints to show improvement after injections. Pasterns or hocks can often show immediate improvement after just a couple of days, but stifles seem to gradually improve over a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
    In my very limited experience, stifles seem to take longer than other joints to show improvement after injections. Pasterns or hocks can often show immediate improvement after just a couple of days, but stifles seem to gradually improve over a few weeks.
    My boy has always been the exact opposite. Remarkable improvement almost immediately, and only getting better from there. He's be back to 100% within the week or two... depending on how long I waited before doing the injections.

Now, when Gus tore his CCL in his stifle... that took FOREVER for him to become sound, but he did show some improvement with about a month. Different circumstances though for that injection versus the others he's gotten in his stifles.

ETA: Those injections were with Hyvisc (an HA solution)... sometimes with a steriod, sometimes without. Sometimes Legend was added also, just depended on the situation at hand.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos